Friday, December 31, 2010

My New Year’s Resolution: To Be More like a Snowman

Most people shun the snow.  It’s pretty on December 1, we all want a white Christmas, and it adds some sparkle to New Year’s Eve festivities.  But, by early January, most are quite vocal about their desire to move on to the balmy temperatures of spring.  I don’t understand people like that.  I love the snow and everything about it.  No bugs.  No sunburn.  No immodesty.  No sweating.  New snow is pure and unspoiled.  Every snowflake is unique, just like people.  The weight and warmth of a heavy sweater is comfort bliss, and the crackle of a fire calms the spirit.  With hands wrapped around the warmth of a colorful mug, cappuccino and hot cocoa warm both the outside and the inside.  The rush of a sled down a snow-covered slope is a far superior adrenaline rush to the mind-numbing terror of injury and potential drowning in a water-skiing accident.  Hands-down, the sparkle of snow is far superior to the haze of humidity.
This year, my New Year’s resolution is to be more like a snowman.
In a frozen world, snowmen are always warm.  Unfortunately, we live in a cold world.  No one wants to be bothered with anyone else’s problems, unless they are being paid to help.  Drivers stranded on the side of the road need to have a cell phone to call for help or they’ll be walking.  (I know this from personal experience; I didn’t have a cell phone.)  Carry a lot of wipes with you in case your child throws up in the middle of JCPenney because not even maintenance personnel will rush to your aid.  (Again, personal experience.)  But, have you noticed that a snowman always brings a smile?  I believe that snowman décor is wildly popular because a snowman (oxymoronic though it seems) will warm your heart.  This year, I want to be warm like a snowman.  I want to be more helpful, more inviting, more understanding, more kind.  (Proverbs 19:22)  I want to consider other’s interests as important as my own.  (Philippians 2:4)

In a cold, inhospitable environment, snowmen are always smiling.  It is a cliché, but it is true:  smiles are contagious.  How many smiles do you see in a day?  As you go about your daily routine, look around you.  Do most people look grumpy and annoyed or happy to see you?  How do you look?  As you walk through the grocery store and interact with the cashier, do you make eye contact and smile?  I admit that I don’t smile enough.  I could blame that on being the mother of five children and 38 weeks pregnant with my sixth, but, quite frankly, that’s no excuse.  My children smile a lot, and they receive a lot of return smiles when we are out.  My father was a paraplegic confined to a wheelchair for nearly 56 years of his life, and when he interacted with others he was friendly and smiling, offering a firm handshake and interest in them.  Case closed.  This year, I want to smile more like a snowman.  A merry heart shows on the countenance and does good to all those with whom it comes into contact.  (Proverbs 17:22)

In a bleak, white snow-covered land, snowmen are full of color, both literally and figuratively.   Snowmen always sport colorful scarves and hats.  Contrast that with the blacks, grays, and browns of today’s fashions.  This year, I want to be colorful like a snowman.  I want to wear the bright hues of pinks, the vivid tones of purples, the dazzling shades of greens and blues.  In the sometimes gray days of winter, I want my dress to energize not only myself but those around me.  Further, most snowmen have a slightly mischievous look; what would they say if they were given the gift of speech?  I don’t think it would be off-color, but I’m sure conversation with a snowman would not be as dull as current fashions.  This year, I want to be colorful like a snowman.  I want to be interesting and edifying.  I want to bring a sweetness of spirit to my speech.  (Proverbs 16:24)  I want people to walk away from a conversation with me feeling better about themselves and better about life.  (Ephesians 4:29)

I’ve never been good at maintaining New Year’s resolutions, but, this year, I think I can do it.  With God’s help.


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Love it...I want to be more like a snowman, TOO! :)

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)