Monday, February 14, 2011

Perfect?

“Aw.  Here comes that perfect family.”  The superstore greeter smiled as my husband and five children approached.  I waddled behind, eight months pregnant.  We talked until the next guest arrived, my husband asking after her knee surgery and the greeter making sure she knew all of the children’s names.  As we walked away, she called, “Be sure to bring in that baby.”

We looked at each other, speechless.  Perfect?  That morning I had crabbed at the children for toys left all over the floor.  Perhaps my husband was thinking that, in his haste to get to work, he had not read his Bible.  The children could have been wondering about when they had quarreled over who should set the table and who should work the toaster.

It is a conundrum.  Romans 3:23 tells us that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.  We are human, and even the most compliant of us have at least a hint of Adam’s rebellion.  No one is beyond God’s judgment.  However, in Matthew, Jesus tells us to be perfect, just as He is perfect ().  How is that possible?  How can we “broods of vipers” ever be “perfect”? 

Jesus. 

Jesus tells us how to be perfect.  As He prays to the Father in John 17:22-23, he gives the answer:  “I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect.”  Jesus in us, moment by moment, is how we can be perfect.

Perfect?  Only with Jesus.


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome thoughts, Meghan! We are, in fact, just human beings...SO not "perfect" without God. I am sure that ALL families can relate to those "not so perfect" mornings! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)