Monday, April 18, 2011

The Junk Drawer

Three AA batteries, two dozen twist ties, the lid to a jar candle, an almost empty box of matches, the bow from a doll’s hair, a couple of nails with green paint on them.  These are the contents of my junk drawer.  Some items had inhabited the drawer for only a few days.  Other things had taken up residence a few weeks or months ago.  Some had been stashed away for years.
What sort of spiritual junk cluttered my life?  What needed to be thrown out, and how long had it been there?  My sister-in-law made that potentially insulting comment last month; she said she liked the messy hairstyles that so many were wearing now.  Did she mean me?  Then there was that time on the interstate last week when another driver cut me off and gave me a dirty look.  Of course, I couldn’t forget my brother calling me names when we were children.  Or could I?
Then the Holy Spirit whispered.  Let it go.  Love them.
Consider these elements of love: love suffers long, does not behave rudely, and thinks no evil.  (I Corinthians 13:4-5)  Love is antithetical to the world in which we live, yet it defines a Christian.  Do you have a secret spiritual junk drawer which inhibits your ability to love?  Let it go.


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Oh,for a world that would focus on loving others. Great post, Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Copy and paste this post again - like today - like often. The message is vital, relevant, never gets old, and, like I said, vital. :)

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)