Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Review of The Betrayal by Jerry B. Jenkins


Author:            Jerry B. Jenkins
Title:                The Betrayal
Publisher:        Tyndale
Genre:             Inspirational Fiction/Suspense

This is the second book in the Precinct 11 trilogy. I couldn’t describe the story better than the author himself:

“Detective Boone Drake has just pulled off the most massive sting in Chicago history, bringing down the heads of not only the biggest street gangs in the city but also the old crime syndicate. The story is the biggest in decades, and the Chicago Police Department must protect the key witness at all costs. Yet despite top secret plans to transfer the witness prior to his testimony before the grand jury, an attempt is made on his life.
           
“It soon becomes apparent that someone inside the Chicago PD leaked information to the shooter. As evidence mounts and suspicion points too close to home, Boone doesn’t know whom he can trust. An investigation reveals that the turncoat might be someone very close to him, even someone he loves – or is someone just trying to cover up corruption at the highest level of the police department? Trusting the wrong person could prove fatal.”

            This is, by far, the best cop story I have ever read. And it should be, since Jerry Jenkins is the son of a police chief and the brother of two cops. Fast-paced yet meticulous, the plot drew me in from page one. I felt like I had been allowed a ride-along with the CPD’s best officer. By the middle, page 160 or so, I was ready to jump ahead to discover the identity of the betrayer. . . . But I restrained myself. The life-or-death intensity was relieved at just the right moment by the comedic words of Carl Earl, a character I hope to see in the third book. The action moved so quickly in fact, with dialogue flying back and forth, that I lost track of who was speaking and I had to backtrack.

            On the spiritual side, the lead character, Boone Drake, is still growing as he learns to pray and trust under tough circumstances. He was aware enough and mature enough, though, to be concerned about another character who is seeking but is living a life of sin. While I am curious to see how that will play out in the last book of the trilogy, it also made me wonder if I, in an extreme stress situation, would be concerned with another’s salvation when my own world was in such upheaval. I connected with Boone, with his ambition, his expectations of others, his perfectionism, and I like to think I would be that thoughtful.

Overall, Jerry Jenkins delivers again with excellent characterizations, a thrilling plot, and incredible word choices. The Betrayal is a terrific read.

The fine print at the bottom of the page: I believe this is the part where I am obligated to utter some legal mumbo jumbo in order to inform my readers that I received a complimentary advance reader copy for my efforts here.


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Never read one of his books. But it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)