Saturday, December 17, 2011

Face to Face with Baby Jesus


She stood transfixed. My five-year-old was mesmerized. We stood in the cold, wrapped in heavy coats, hats, mittens, scarves. Our breath poufed out in front of us. Other families milled around; I could hear parents whispering explanations to their children and the louder murmur of the crowd at the back. But she couldn’t take her eyes away from baby Jesus.
The children had gently nudged their way to the front where other children stood. A couple of woolly sheep munched on hay on the other side of a low stone wall. Inside the stable, the Holy Family rested for all to see. We had enjoyed, if that is the right word to describe an evening of delightful yet somber reflection, the soliloquies of a temple guard and the prophetess Anna. We had walked through the first century marketplace full of authentic vendors and Herod’s soldiers. We had viewed the planetarium show which speculated about the origins of the star. But our night at the Creation Museum’s Christmas Town was not yet complete.
We needed to see Jesus.
As I watched my little girl come face to face with Jesus, I suddenly realized what the Word means in Mark 10:15. "Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it." My little child did not come with the worries of unpaid bills on her mind. She was not thinking of what mean comment her brother had made earlier in the day. She was unconcerned with her clothes or shoes or the Christmas dinner menu. She simply stood in awe.
Silent.
Reverent.
Life itself can be delightful or reflective or any other number of adjectives, but without coming face to face with Jesus, it is not complete.
How do you approach the baby Jesus?



Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Tearfully. His love overwhelms me and his grace saved me. I stand in awe and weep.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)