Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Win for Modesty


Dear Readers,

This post contains a link to a news article for citation purposes only. I would not recommend you click through. If you should choose to do so, please use extreme caution, mindful of where your children and husband are; the journalists have chosen to display a photo of former Victoria Secret’s model Kylie Bisutti in full array, or perhaps I should say, lacking full array. It is a sad commentary on our news world that, in a story about a young woman who has decided to cover up, they top the story with her uncovered.

Thanks for reading, and may you be blessed by her example.

Meghan


An Open Letter to Former Victoria Secret Model Kylie Bisutti

Dear Kylie,

I applaud you.

I read the ABC News article about you – how you won the 2009 model search at age 19 and achieved your life-long dream – how you became uncomfortable with that success because of your faith – how you have been reading your Bible more and feeling convicted that your body should be reserved for your husband.

You have heard that still, small voice. That whisper of the Holy Spirit.

And, despite what others may say, you have chosen to obey.

I am proud of you.

You are right – you are a role model to younger girls. But let me suggest that your platform speaks to more groups than that – the brothers and fathers of those younger girls who have cast their eyes upon you as well as their mothers who are trying desperately and failing miserably at competing with your youth and beauty.

You have a unique testimony – and a unique opportunity – to become a spokes model for modesty as you live out 1 Timothy 2:9 (ESV). “. . . Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control. . . .”

Please allow me to encourage you in three specific statements of yours.

“Lingerie isn’t clothing.” You could not be more correct, but I would caution you to be careful of swimwear. Swimsuits, whether they are one or two pieces, are nothing more than lingerie made of Lycra. Would you be able to model for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition? With your convictions, I doubt it. And that is a wonderful conviction.

“I just want them [youth] to see me as somebody . . . that’s going to be dressing appropriately.” Our youth culture certainly faces a deprivation of wholesome and modest fashion models. Please remember as you decide what you will model that tight clothing, plunging necklines, and skimpy designs can also be revealing and lead young minds where they ought not go. Choose clothes that direct our eyes to your smiling face. As you champion modesty, there is no doubt that you will accomplish your goal that people . . . see something different about me because I have that faith.”

“I want to do everything I can to protect my marriage and be respectful to my husband.”  Your husband, if he has the same intensity of faith that you seem to have, will appreciate and encourage your modesty. Keeping your “secrets” for him alone is an almost surefire way to protect your marriage and respect your husband.

May God richly bless you as you live out your convictions,

Meghan








Blog Name

Visionary Womanhood dot com


Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. It is such a sad thing that so many people see women as worth little more than a sex object. I'm glad you made the comment about swimsuits. I find it disturbing that Christian women who would never pose for Victoria's Secret will put on swimwear that leaves little to the imagination and will go out in public or will post pictures on their blogs or on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! And I am so with you on swim suits. I never have understood how it could be considered okay to go out in public in a bikini when you'd never go outside in your matching bra and underwear. They both lack adequate coverage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon! (BTW, your baby is adorable!)

      Delete
  3. Awesome post! I'm a modest lady, myself & I applaud Kylie for her very public testimony & good example! I found you on Pure Modesty's Linky Party & look forward to reading more!
    - Mrs. H at www.themisadventuresofmrsh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and following, Mrs. H! And congratulations on your little bump! Babies are a tremendous blessing!

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with everything you wrote! I'm delighted with her stand against Victoria Secret, I just hope she thinks through other things she models and wears....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caroline! I'm honored that you stopped by my little blog, and thanks for the link opportunity!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for linking up on VW with such a great post...perfect for our theme this month! : ) You have an ADORABLE family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie -- and thanks for providing the opportunity to link up. I loved your post earlier this month (or maybe it was February) about 13 tips for modesty. I'm saving it to link to some time from my blog.

      Delete
  6. This is a great post. Thanks for bringing Kylie's decision to my attention. I have six daughters and I'm losing the modesty battle with them. My oldest two love Victoria's Secret products. They're adults so I can't tell them what to do but it helps to have things to bring to their attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie -- So glad it was helpful! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)