Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Atrocity of After-Birth Abortion


In an absolutely astounding article inthe Journal of Medical Ethics, two Australian ethicists have proposed that “after-birth abortion” (“killing a newborn human”) should be allowed by the parent(s) in all the instances in which a pre-birth abortion would be allowed, including when there is any sort of defect in the baby or there is psychological harm to the mother, such as the stress of raising the child by herself due to the death of the father. Their reasoning is that the newborn is not an actual person but only a potential person and that killing that newborn would not cause the newborn any damage because the baby has not developed into a person yet. Their final conclusion is that putting a newborn in such a situation up for adoption is not a viable alternative because giving the child away would be more psychologically harmful to the mother than killing the child.

What is particularly interesting is that the ethicists point out that disabled persons put a financial burden on the state. Apparently, these ethicists value money more than some human life. “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.” 1 Timothy 6:10

I’m sorry to make this so brief, but I truly am feeling physically ill at this point. My stomach is churning and I can hardly see the monitor through the mist of tears at the very notion that a baby is not an “actual person.”


But what does God say about human life?

            For You formed my inward parts;
            You covered me in my mother’s womb.
            I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
            Marvelous are Your works,
            And that my soul knows very well.
            My frame was not hidden from You,
            When I was made in secret,
            And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
            Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
            And in Your book they all were written,
            The days fashioned for me,
            When as yet there were none of them.
            Psalm 139:13-16

Perhaps we can discuss this further through the comments. I would love for you to share your reaction to this. Please leave a comment, and I will respond. Thank you.


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I feel that this would even "bother" those who are pro-choice, though it is murder either way. Somehow, abortion is "OK" as long as they don't "SEE" the baby. My heart is sad for what this world has come to accept....can't imagine how God views it. Babies are such beautiful blessings from Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronda, I have also thought that perhaps this would bother those who are pro-choice, but as soon as the terminology is changed it seems that the mind-set changes also. If a newborn is not termed an "actual person" and there is no damage to that newborn should their "potential" not be fulfilled, then no worries. What absolutely shocks me is that these ethicists seem to think that there would be no psychological fall-out from this course of action, even though there are mounds of testimonies of women suffering emotionally from an abortion. How much worse would it be after a delivery? *more tears* Is my Andrew, now 13 months, yet an "actual person"? Thanks, Ronda, for commenting.

      Delete
  2. I read this article when it was floating around Facebook. I had to pass it on, though it sickened me as well. People need to be aware, and we need to fight against this kind of thinking, or next thing you know, "after-birth abortion" will be not only legal, but mandated in certain cases. And who decides then at what age a child becomes an "actual" person? Their reasoning is that an infant is not fully cognizant of its existance, the fact that it HAS a life to lose, so losing it won't hurt it. At what point does a child become a person? When they become aware that they are a seperate being, which happens sometime in the first year (not sure on the timing anymore), or perhaps only when they become aware that they can die? It's truly the most atrocious suggestion I've ever heard, and I'd like to think it could never take hold and come to any consequence, but what of Hitler and his plans for annihilation of the Jewish people? One of the reasons that was allowed to go as far as it did was people initially didn't believe that anything so horrendous could actually be happening. God forbid, honestly, that anything like this should come to pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen and amen! I thought of Hitler as well when I first read the article, wondering how long it would be before someone suggested / recommended / mandated that a disabled / handicapped child not be allowed to live. In fact, Hitler began with the handicapped. Ken Ham from Answers in Genesis has an excellent blog post about this issue as well: http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2012/03/03/more-on-after-birth-abortion-why-should-the-baby-live/. When we no longer live by the Bible, all sorts of unimaginable horrors will come to be accepted. Thanks for your excellent points, Cassi.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)