Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Question: Do you tell a new friend that she has something stuck in her teeth?


Karen and Bill have been attending your church for a few weeks. They have a girl, Kylie, just about the same age as your daughter, and a son, Keith, close to your son’s age. You have talked with them at church a few times and are getting to know them. On Friday, your church has a pitch-in and game night. After everyone eats, groups form to play different board games. You sit down across the table from Karen and Bill, and promptly notice that Karen has a big green blob of spinach dip stuck in her front teeth. You –

  1. Ask to speak with her away from the group before the game begins and tell her about the blob stuck in her teeth so that she can remove it before the evening progresses.
  2. Clear your throat in an attempt to get her attention and then run your tongue along your teeth, hoping that she will receive your telepathic communication.
  3. Excuse yourself from the game and ignore her the rest of the evening, too shy to say anything and afraid that both you and she will be embarrassed.
  4. Whisper it to your husband, hoping he’ll tell Bill and Bill will tell Karen.
  5. Do nothing. It’s not your embarrassment.

Which one is right? Is there a right one? Is there a better option? What if you were Karen?

~Meghan

BTW, to the people of Calvary Bible Methodist Church, this is a purely hypothetical question! J
















Growing Home
A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home The Alabaster Jar
Photobucket


Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. I was getting worried Meghan :) Obviously #1 is what I should do but I think I would struggle and end up doing #4. Unless I remember back to this post and decide to conquer my fears and do the right thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen -- I am a life-long-hide-in-the-closet shy person, so I'm not sure what I would do. I've never been in this situation. But I have appreciated it whenever my husband told me. I know I would appreciate if someone else told me as well, as soon as I got over the initial embarrassment! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. If "I" am Karen, PLEASE tell me! LOL! I have gone home after an evening, only to find something in my tooth...grrrr! I would much rather even a new friend tell me. Spinach in one's tooth is NOT a good look. (Glad to know this is ONLY a hypothetical question....smiles.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely hypothetical, Ronda! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. It depends on how well I know Karen. If I don't know her that well, I would probably do number 5. But if she's a close friend, I'd probably do number 1. Interesting post, Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Beth. Your blog looks great -- I signed up for e-mail delivery of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I think doing #5 even a new friend is awful. I'd rather say something than say nothing at all. I know I'd want ANYONE to tell me. i think that's they key. Would YOU want someone to tell you?

    Me, I'd saying. I'm by far not a quiet person. I'd do 1 or 2. If not getting up and whispering into her ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for weighing in, Dannielle. I'm enjoying writing these questions because there are so many different ways to handle different situations. But, I do agree with you. Something ought to be said. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. This is my first visit, found you through Marital Oneness Mondays.

    I'm pretty outgoing, so I'd do something different... I'd just lean in close to her and whisper in her ear "excuse me, but you've got some spinach in your teeth". It would be over and dealt with and everyone would quickly move on. It never even occurred to me that someone might agonize over what to do.

    What a fun question!

    Cindy @ Apron Strings and Apple Trees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy, for the comment and the follow. I've always enjoyed discussing hypothetical situations. I'm a what-iffer. I don't think I would agonize over each one. It's just fun to think about, and I'm really enjoying reading everyone's different opinions.

      Delete
  7. I agree with Cindy. I hate knowing that I've had stuff in my teeth, or around my mouth, for any amount of time, so if I notice someone with the same embarrassing situation I usually tell them, quietly, right away. My mom trained me to check her teeth before church on Sundays to make sure she hadn't gotten lipstick on them, so I guess it's just habit now! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a regular teeth-checker also, Jaimie! Thanks for the comment and the follow!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)