Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Question: What do you do when you hear foul language?


You and your young children are running errands on a Saturday, picking up groceries and selecting books at the library. It’s well past noon when you realize you haven’t planned lunch. You’ve been having a fun family together-time (despite the fact that The Hubs is helping some neighbors move and can’t make it) and decide to stop at your favorite fast food restaurant. You settle at a table with your food, open your youngest child’s milk, and begin to brainstorm plans for your upcoming ten-year-old’s birthday.


Halfway through your meal, some teenagers sit down at the next table. Their conversation is lively and their gestures animated. Soon, you begin to hear some foul language. You –


  1. Notice that they are bigger and more numerous than you and keep silent, promising yourself that you will talk to your children in the car and instruct them that they are never to repeat those words.
  2. See no problem. Just because you don’t use those words doesn’t mean they shouldn’t. After all, they have freedom of speech, too.
  3. Tell them politely to keep it clean, gesturing to your children.
  4. Turn up the volume of your own conversation, hoping to drown them out.
  5. Turn the air blue shouting at them to keep their traps shut.


What would you do? Is there another option?

~Meghan

This question resulted in discussion in two more posts -- Why is profanity unacceptable for the Christian? and Is asterisk substitution for profanity all right?




Growing Home A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-HomeTeagan's Travels Button, 2012 February


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. I would probably choose number 3...but I have been struggling with this lately. What to do when the people using such language are dear to me? Friends I love? I just hate it and it makes me sad especially knowing that I have been sharing my testimony with them.

    I am new to your blog and hope you'll join my linky party on Tuesdays at Teagan's Travels.

    http://teaganstravels.blogspot.com/2012/04/destination-inspiration-linky-party-9.html

    Happy Easter, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Michelle, and thanks for the link-up! Hope you have a great Resurrection Sunday!

      Delete
  2. Meghan, this is situation my husband and I found ourselves in (minus the children and teens) a few weeks ago at a fast food restaurant. We had been running around and decided to stop in for a bite to eat. It was past dinner time and the cashiers and even the manager on duty were playing with a phone and using the automated voice to make it say foul things. We just quickly ate and left. With children, we would have asked them, respectfully, to stop, as we had children with us. With teens, I would have done the same thing. Definitely don't want the children to hear that language, or myself, if I can help it! -Nicole @ Working Kansas Homemaker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of including the option (would be number six) of speaking to the manager to ask him to intercede, but that certainly wouldn't have worked in your situation! Thanks, Nicole.

      Delete
  3. This is a hard one because it requires some courage. What has been on mind a lot lately are people (even close friends) who take the Lord's name in vain...how do you address this in a loving way? Do you address it or let it go? I don't know what the best option is but would love to hear how others tackle this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying coming up with these questions, but they also make my heart flutter because I'm not very courageous! That's a good question, Colleen. Maybe others will comment, or I'll pose it in a question in a future post. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I always mention something. Teenage boys don't intimidate me. I think most of the time they don't even realize they're using profane language because it's so much a part of their vocabulary. I'd probably say something like, "can we keep it G rated for my kiddos?" It get's the point across.

    Fun question : )I'd love it if you'd link this post up with my encouraging hearts linky. http://www.lessonsfromivy.com/2012/04/encouragement-in-trials-with-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, and thanks for the link-up opportunity!

      Delete
  5. Our family actually just gets up and leaves in this situation. We are to guard our children's ears, and sometimes, it means a change of scenery. It makes for some great conversation as you have your picnic in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love the privacy of the car as well, Val. It's great protection!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)