Monday, April 9, 2012

Question: What do you do with your husband’s keepsakes?


{Actual husband's shoes}
This morning, you head to the closet to get dressed, mentally running over your to-do list. When you open the door, a stack of shirts fall off the shelf onto your head and you trip over a pile of shoes. It’s time to clean the closet. You set aside your list and, instead, spend the day sifting, sorting, and organizing your junk precious valuables. By mid-afternoon, you reach the very back of your walk-in. There you find an old pair of tennis shoes, worn, scuffed, and stinky. You immediately recognize them as your husband’s; he made the winning basket of a college intramural basketball tournament while wearing those “lucky” shoes. You hold them for a moment, remembering sitting in the bleachers and ogling his sweaty muscles. You know that the shoes are dear to him, but you also know that he thinks they are lost. Plus, they stink up the closet. You –

  1. Bury them in the bottom of the trash can. He’ll never know they’re gone. His ignorance is your bliss.
  2. Present them to him when he arrives home, accept his thank-you graciously, promise him you will put them in a very special place, and then bury them in the bottom of the trash can when he isn’t looking.
  3. Throw them in the washing machine with extra bleach, then show them to him when he gets home. Later, you find a home for them in a keepsake box and shove them back into the corner of the closet. Your children can deal with them when they move you into an assisted living facility.
  4. Have them bronzed and set in a glass case, proudly displaying them on your headboard.


What would you do? Or would you have another option?

~Meghan

P.S. Would you all like to see another post in a couple of days, summarizing your responses and telling the origins of the question? Or would you rather I leave the question open-ended for continued discussion?


PhotobucketThe Alabaster JarGrowing HomeA-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. I would spray them liberally with Odor-Eaters, then be like, "Hey, honey, guess what I found today?" Maybe I'm in a minority here, but I would not usually throw out something of his without asking him first, no matter how trivial I think it to be (exception: his pocketfuls of time-clock receipts). Something I know is important--NEVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cassi, for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I would agree with Cassi. My husband has a box or two of collectibles stored in the garage, I usually don't even remember they are there. A lot of the stuff in that box seems like garbage to me, but I'm sure there is stuff in my collectibles box that he would think is garbage. Show them to him and have fun remembering together... let him decide what to do with them. Let us know how it works out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Mostly) hypothetical, Kristin. I figured out at the beginning of our marriage (nearly 20 years ago) that his stuff was important too, even though I had no interest in a collection of Hot Wheels. I just thought it would be interesting to see how others handle situations like this. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I have plastic tubs for memorabilia for each person in the house. We store them in the attic.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)