Friday, May 11, 2012

In Fifty Golden Years of Marriage, a Husband and Wife would….


My husband’s parents are celebrating their Golden Anniversary next week. Fifty years of marriage.


They had humble beginnings. They were married by a Justice of the Peace in the bride’s parent’s home, and cake was served in the kitchen. They didn’t have a lot of fancy frills and frou-frou. But they had an abundance of commitment.


There’s nothing wrong with frills and frou-frou. I had plenty at my wedding.

But that’s not what makes a marriage.

So, I’ve been thinking….

In fifty years, if a husband and wife share supper together during the week days and three meals together on the weekends (hopefully that’s low)…that’s 28,600 meals together.

In fifty years, if a husband and wife smile at each other just twice each day (and hopefully that’s low)…that’s 36,400 smiles.

In fifty years, if a husband and wife pray together, or separately, for just fifteen minutes each day (and hopefully that’s low) for their family…that’s 273,000 minutes – or 4,550 hours – or nearly 190 days spent communing with the Lord.

That’s how marriages are made.

Meal by meal – serving each other, sharing the day, cleaning up the mess we bring in from the world.

Smile by smile – encouraging each other in the faith, loving the way God made our spouse, appreciating each other’s contributions to the relationship.

Prayer by prayer – petitioning specifically, praising Him for His blessings, listening for the whisper of the Holy Spirit.

My husband and I have another thirty years before we reach the Golden Anniversary. Thirty more years of sharing, smiling, praying....

How long have you been married? What do you appreciate about your marriage?

~Meghan

~~~~~
Become a follower of this blog or receive new posts by e-mail ~ just sign up at the right side of the page.



Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. This was a very uplifting post :) I've been married 9 years, and I appreciate having a best friend in this big crazy world to confide in and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when wives say that their husband is their best friend! Thanks for commenting, Jessica!

      Delete
  2. I have been married for 11 years. My DH is my best friend. He always brings out the best in me. I try to pamper and serve him because I know that those are his basic needs. Love my man!

    Oh, another note.. my parents have been married for 42 years. My Mom was married at 17 years old. I remember a time in their marriage when there was a lot of fighting and my Dad even left home for a few days. But they didn't get divorced and their marriage just got better. My parents learned with their parents' examples to stick it out. To persevere. To keep on giving.

    I learned with them to do the same. I think marriage is one of life's greatest adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents had been married for over 52 years when my father passed away a couple of years ago. The marriages of both sets of parents have had their trials, but they have set a terrific example for myself and my husband as well as our children. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Great post! LOVE to see married couples make it to the golden milestone! Congratulations to Steve's parents. Both of our sets of parents will celebrate their golden anniversaries next year. Danny and I have been married for 21 years now, and I am as happy as the first year of marriage. He truly is still my very best friend and soulmate. He is the leader of our home, is a great Daddy and treats me with gentle loving kindness. I LOVE being married! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are blessed to have been able to celebrate that golden milestone with both parents, Ronda. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)