Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Question: Do you go along with lying to save money?


You’ve been saving and scrimping and pinching for an entire year, and now you are reaping the rewards. You and your family have arrived in sunny Florida for a much-needed vacation. Your only problem seems to be the plethora of amusement parks from which to choose.

You decide to consult an expert – the guy in the lobby who sells tickets. You ask him about a particular park and express surprised dismay at what it would cost for your family of four children, even after his discount. He has a suggestion, though. He advises you to park at The Village and tell the-powers-that-be that you are going in to have lunch. That way you get a reduced $5 parking fee. Once you’re in, you can hop on the monorail and take it to your ultimate destination, the amusement park.

You –

  1. Say, “What a terrific idea!” You then quickly shuttle everyone to the minivan to speed to the restaurant and put the plan into place.
  2. Shift nervously from one foot to the other and ask about other options.
  3. Ask timidly, “Isn’t that dishonest?” When he assures you that everyone does it, you say, “Allrighty then!” and skip on your merry way with a clear conscious.
  4. Dig your pocket Bible out of your bag and hit him over the head with it, telling him his SPF 70 sunblock won’t help when he’s thrown into the lake of fire.


What would you do? Is there another way – a better way – to respond?

~Meghan

~~~~~
If you like what you’ve just read, I’d be honored if you shared it to Facebook or Twitter. Thanks!

Become a follower of this blog or receive new posts by e-mail ~ just sign up at the right side of the page.
~~~~~


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Honestly, I am not very bold when it comes to confronting such situations. I wouldn't do it...(I mean, I might park someplace cheaper and take the mono-rail to the park, but not if it required lying...a lot of places have different parking options that are farther away from the main event and less expensive. I have no qualms about it, but not if it were done under false pretense as in your example).

    However, I probably wouldn't say anything about it to the attendent. I would either nod and go on, knowing I wouldn't heed his advice, or at best if I felt comfortable in that moment or prompted by the Holy Spirit, I might say something like, "I wouldn't really feel right doing that."

    THanks for all of your thought-provoking questions. I enjoy the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you commented, Crystal. I'm not very bold either, but I'd like to try #4 sometime, just to see the reaction! :)

      Delete
  2. I personally would have researched and gotten all the prices before I went so I wouldn't be put in this situation because I would know already which park I was going to and the prices.I have found that planning all these things in advance prevents a lot of problems!

    But if I was in that situation I would just thank the man for the information but not take it. Making a huge deal there with the guy wouldn't really do any good and would probably just annoy him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good Boy Scout philosophy: be prepared. We have never purchased tickets from a seller like that, either, but we were just walking through the lobby. We were shocked when we heard him give this advice to a customer.

      Making a huge deal usually doesn't do any good, does it? (But sometimes I'm tempted....)

      Thanks, Anne, for stopping by. Hope to see you again.

      Delete
  3. This type of situation (lying to save money) comes up surprisingly often I find. For me, the solution is obvious when I consider that fourteen little eyes are on me, watching to see what I will do. I think my kids are much more impacted by my actions than by my words and that helps me not to slip into the mentality of "who would it hurt?" or "everyone does it". An example of this is that most of my kids are short for their age and when we go somewhere like a movie or amusement park, sometimes the clerk just assumes that they are younger and charges less and it would be easy to just not say anything, but even when I don't feel like doing it or try to make justifications for it in my head, I know that it is actually a great teaching opportunity and I correct them on the kids' ages in a way that makes it very obvious to my kids that I am choosing honesty or easy and honesty over saving money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, Sharla! I haven't had the age issue but just getting over-charged for something at the grocery store is an opportunity to teach. When it happened with us, I was amazed at how quickly the oldest ones caught on to what had happened. They are watching, aren't they?

      Way to go with the adoptions, BTW. I'm an adoptee myself. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)