Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What propels you? Materialism? {Part Two of Three}


What propels you through the murky waters of life?

In the last post, I wrote about the dolphin show at SeaWorld and the incredible, dare-devil feat of being propelled through the water by spinning dolphins. I also confessed that my desire to please people, to have them think well of me all the time, pushes me. Yet, I know that my focus should be on pleasing God and not men.

Euphoria can bring potentially dangerous consequences.

Perhaps the lure of Hobby Lobby or Kohl’s is nearly impossible to resist. The mystical charms that are available within have the incredible power of satiating all cravings, of completing our selves, of satisfying our souls. We can have all of those desires fulfilled with an additional 15 percent off.

As I browse through the aisles of Hobby Lobby, I am certain that if I could only buy it all my home would be superbly decorated, yet ultimately comfortable and welcoming. It would be an oasis from The Real World, a magical fairyland where my husband brings home flowers and calorie-free chocolate every night, my children are perfectly behaved, and dust bunnies wipe their feet at the door.

And, if I could just look long enough at Kohl’s, I’m sure I could find the perfect ensemble – size four – that would melt away my extra pounds, return my hair to its’ original blonde, and help me work for world peace.

Would all that satisfy?

What should propel us?

“We brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.  And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.” (1 Timothy 6:7-8)

Do not love the world or the things in the world." (1 John 2:15)

Do you struggle with materialism? It’s a powerful lure. How have you conquered? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.

~Meghan

P.S. If you liked part one on people-pleasing and part two on materialism, click through to part three on the desire to control.

~~~~~
If you like what you just read, why not become a follower of this blog? Or receive new posts by e-mail ~ just sign up at the right side of the page.


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know of any more vivid illustration of I Timothy 6:7 than when I walked into my grandmother's apartment after her death. Seeing her empty shoes, coat hanging on the peg by the door, and even her little key bracelet lying on the table were all reminders of the fact that nothing goes with us. It has changed my focus, and I want to remain changed.
    I used to almost get a buzz (that sounds ridiculous, but it's true) while charging through department stores looking for deals or things that would make me feel good about myself. Crazy, but I think that more of us succumb to that than we like to admit.
    How much more profitable it is to expend that energy investing into others what God has already given us!
    Thanks for another thought provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand the "buzz," Stephanie. I still fight it, particularly when I'm stressed. But sometimes I look around the house before we leave wondering who would care about our stuff if something happened and we never came back. Probably nobody!

      Thank you so much for the encouraging comment!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)