Thursday, June 28, 2012

What the most successful mothers do before breakfast


There’s an article circulating in cyberspace that lists five ways to fine-tune your morning so that you can accomplish heroic feats before breakfast. As I read, I sunk lower and lower into the depths of despair. The author makes good suggestions like “picture the perfect morning” and “build the habit.” But what the author doesn’t understand is that I have six children, two still in diapers. If I could “map out” my toddler’s dirty diapers, I would, but then…wait a minute, that sounds like potty training. Well, map out one more task to complete before breakfast.

I love the ideas of time management gurus, but I think, too often, those suggestions are written for “working” men and women who don’t have the responsibility to respond to the needs of a houseful of little people. If I was responsible only for myself, I could – and would – hold to a strict schedule. But you just can’t schedule dirty diapers or cleaning up a milk spill or staying up through the night with a sick child or the appearance of a rainbow that makes you drop everything to read about Noah.

So, here’s my list of what the most successful mothers do before breakfast.
  1. Pray. Sometimes it can be thirty-minutes-on-your-knees-pounding-Heaven’s-gates prayer. Most of the time it’s a still-in-bed Lord, give me strength and grace today.
  2. Use the necessary room. If you can accomplish this by yourself, you’re a superhero.
  3. Read the Bible. Even a verse or two or a chapter of Proverbs to match the date is beneficial.
  4. Say good morning and hug The Hubs and The Kidlets.
  5. Make cappuccino. Wait a minute…that is breakfast.

If you can also get dressed, fix your hair, and make your bed, you’re doing fantastic! In the end, the most success comes from time spent together and time spent with the Lord.








What do you think makes for a successful morning?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
~~~~~

Linking with Visionary WomanhoodYour Thriving FamilyRed Oak LaneFound the Marbles


Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. So true! Mostly I am praying in the shower... you know, multitasking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I would get through the day without multitasking!

      Delete
  2. Ah, very inspiring and really made me think about restructuring my mornings. I am so much better if I get up before the kids and get a few minutes to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. A few minutes to myself is ideal, but it really just depends on how the night before has gone. Thanks, Theresa.

      Delete
  3. Yes! I joined the Hello Mornings Challenge to get up and get going and it has been wonderful! I feel so refreshed and rested instead of cranky when my girls are getting up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aurie, for sharing that information. I'm not familiar with it, but for anyone who wants to look into it, here's the link. http://inspiredtoaction.com/resources/hellomornings/ There's also a free e-book for subscribing to the feed or e-mail updates.

      Delete
  4. Another great post, Meghan. A "successful" morning for me is prayer time and Bible reading before the children wake up. Without the 2 of those, I can predict that my morning - and my day - won't be good. I just can't get through the day in my own power.
    Many blessings!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Lisa, and the power of coffee isn't enough either! Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I used to love to get up at 6:00 one hour before the kids. I have not been successful lately and it has made a sad difference I my day. Thanks for the inspiration for a good morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What makes mine is I get up with my hubby kiss on him a little (after my teeth are brushed) start some coffee, a load in the wash, get dressed (maybe a shower), give sleepy heads hugs as they appear out of their rooms. I have 4 children, we homeschool year around so I know what you mean about all that scheduling. W wish I could some days but to me that would take away alot of the fun of the day. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds pretty good, Jen! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. God's GRACE!!! sufficient for my day and new every morning! He's got the whole world in His hands even my household and 4 children!!! ha! God is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Tereza. He holds every moment of our little lives, doesn't He? Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)