Monday, July 9, 2012

Q4U: What do you do when teens push past you?


A sigh escapes you as you pull into a parking spot in the outer reaches of the parking lot. You’ve arrived at the mall, a bastion of mindless consumerism. Your four munchkins quickly unclip their seat belts and jump out of the van, anxious to get in to the Lego store and Build-a-Bear to spend their birthday gift cards.

You wend your way through the parking lot and up to the door as the children chat excitedly about the new Star Wars lego they saw in the magazine and whether or not they have enough money for a Build-a-Bear dress. Your primary concern is where to put their purchases in your already-stretched-to-its-limits house. You ask your oldest daughter – twelve at her last birthday – to hold the door so you can push the stroller through. She runs ahead and opens it wide. 

Just as you approach the open door, three loud and scruffy teen boys (all in desperate need of a haircut) jump in front of you and through the door that your daughter is holding open – all without even a backward glance.

You –

  1. Wait patiently and thank your daughter on your way in.
  2. After the teens are out of earshot, say to your daughters, “Don’t even think about marrying a boy like that!”
  3. Say to the teens, “You’re welcome,” loud enough for your children to hear but not so loud that the teens might hear and turn to confront you.
  4. Hike up your skirt and give the last boy through the door a boot in the pants. When he turns, you look away with an innocent expression.


What would you do? Is there another option?








The discussion continues with the following posts --
Is chivalry dead?
Six chivalrous deeds to teach your son
The Only Chivalry Worth Having
Is "Hot" a Compliment?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
~~~~~


Linking with Homemaker by ChoiceHoly-Spirit-Led HomeschoolingYour Thriving FamilySusan GodfreyConsider the LiliesA Wise Woman Builds Her HomeWomen Living WellThankful HomemakerLessons from IvyTime-Warp-WifeTeagan's TravelsSeedlings in StoneNo Ordinary Blog HopWhat Joy Is MineThe Modest MomRaising ArrowsThe Better Mom


Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. I'm not super bold so probably #1 honestly. But, I might be thinking about the other options. ;D Its tough to keep your cool and a gracious attitude when others are rude to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm stopping over from LL's today and smiling at your multiple choice question. I think I'd choose 1 and 2! Andthen I'd pray for those teenager's mamas! Goodness knows it could be my own son when I'm not looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about praying for the mamas! Thanks for commenting, Alicia.

      Delete
  3. I would choose to ignore it. I have every age reach over me, cut be off inside stores. I am relatively short and I don't stand a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often wondered what the response might be if I did say something. I'm a little too nervous to speak up though. Ignoring it is certainly the safest. Thanks for joining the conversation!

      Delete
  4. First time visitor from the Seedlings in Stone link-up! First, I'd roll my eyes and probably let out a loud sigh :) Then I'd promptly do #2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, loud sigh -- with the waiting patiently! I didn't think of actually writing that in the possible answers. Thanks for stopping by, Carrie. Hope to see you again!

      Delete
  5. Hmm, I am not a mom yet, so not sure what I would do. However I do tend to be outspoken, so it's likely I would have said something.
    It would be a good thing to remind your daughter though that those are not men, but boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be someone who would have said something, but mostly it's just in my imagination. Excellent point about boys, not men -- it would be a good teaching opportunity for moms and daughters. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Hm. Good question. Knowing myself #1 or #2, but then I would probably wish I had done more... or I'd stew on it enough to have some sort of talk about it with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know for sure #1 I would do BUT I'm not sure if I would've not said anything at all to the young boys. Honestly, they may just have needed a gentle reminder to be mindful of those around them. I am around 15 teenage boys almost daily because of baseball and I'm not one to sit back and watch them say or do things that are inconsiderate. But also these boys are not strangers. I guess I would have to weigh the situation at the moment to know if saying anything would've been best or not. Thank you for the great post and sharing at WJIM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps give them the benefit of the doubt? Maybe they were distracted? Definitely possible. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. If they look roudy and ruff I would totally ignore it, and then use the opportunity to teach my own kids how to be "unoffended" and how to show grace.

    If they look young and impressionable (not violent) I'd say "well excuse me boys" in a very motherly tone with a smile.

    I'm rather bold, so, unless they looked bigger than me I probably would speak up. Not that I think its the godly thing to do... I think overlooking an offense is better.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)