Friday, July 6, 2012

Should I know what my story is by now?


(Trying something new today -- Five-Minute Friday with Lisa-Jo Baker. Write for five minutes, no editing, on the one-word prompt: story. Following is my effort.)


It was my lifeline, really. My coping mechanism. My breathing apparatus.


It wasn’t that I just liked to read. It was an all-enveloping passion. I couldn’t survive without story.

My escape.

When mom didn’t sit down to have supper with us.

When dad was home late from work because he went “out” with the guys from the office.

When the other kids were mean because I didn’t have the right neon green colored shirt.

When I thought I was in love for the four hundred and thirty-second time and the (now I can see that he was) pimply and scrawny adolescent didn’t even cast a look down his nose at me.

Stories.

I’ve lived hundreds of different exciting lives, but all with a let-down.

They weren’t really mine.

Should I know what my story is by now?

Married twenty years, six children, mortgage, minivan needing repairs, brownies, dishes to wash, mountains of laundry, schoolwork to check.

My story.

Spontaneous hugs, cuddles on the couch, smiles from across the room, tickle fights and pillow fights and food fights (just small ones), museums and suppers out and vacations with kids who think I’m terrific.









Do you know what your story is?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
~~~~~

Linking with Teagan's TravelsSusan GodfreyYour Thriving FamilyConsider the LiliesHoly-Spirit-Led HomeschoolingFive Minute Friday


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Brilliantly written Meghan! Loved reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always hear about reading as an escape, but as I wrote this I realized just how much of an escape it was for me. Thanks, Wendy.

      Delete
  2. Well written! Don't you love when a simple post goes completely different than you'd planned? I had that happen to me this past Wednesday. Amazing what writing can do. I enjoyed it very much. Got me thinking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing can be so good for us, and a lot less expensive than therapy! Thank you for your kind comments, Kelly.

      Delete
  3. I really like this idea of writing for 5 minutes. I found your post to be very truthful. Doesn't it just sum up our experiences? Thank you for linking up with us at NOBH. Welcome and please link up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult for me to write without editing myself. In fact, I just changed that last sentence. And that last one. Well, anyway.... Thanks, Kelly.

      Delete
  4. Very poignant. It's amazing how much we learned about you in a such a few words. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the problem with writing without editing, especially about ourselves. It tends to knock down those walls we so carefully erect. Thanks so much for stopping by, Catherine. Hope to see you again.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)