Friday, July 20, 2012

What I Don’t Have Enough Of


(I’m returning today to Five Minute Friday with Lisa-Jo Baker. It’s a flash mob of writers writing about enough, unedited, for five minutes. If you’d like to join in, just head over to Gypsy Mama.)


I wish everything I owned fit in a suitcase.

Well, six children plus one husband equals eight suitcases.

I think I could handle that.

How light would I feel? Unencumbered. Light and airy and flitting through life on my toes.

When is it enough? So many days I feel like I am just managing stuff. Laundering and folding and putting away stuff. Shopping for more grocery stuff and sundry stuff. Rearranging my decorating stuff so that my home-that-isn’t-really-my-home-because-it’s-not-heaven will feel more…homey.

I’m bogged down in a swamp of stuff.

I’m tired of moving around and maintaining stuff. I have plenty of that.

What I don’t have enough of is love.

God.

Mercy.

Forgiveness.

Friendship.

Grace.

Time.

Do we ever have enough of what really matters?












~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
~~~~~


Linking with Growing HomeThe Modest MomThankful HomemakerRaising ArrowsThe Better MomNo Ordinary Blog HopHoly-Spirit-Led HomeschoolingYour Thriving FamilyBeholding GloryConsider the LiliesComfy in the KitchenGypsy Mama


Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the 5 Minute Friday. Such a good reminder that I must continually ask Him for more of the things that truly matter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbie. So glad you stopped by today.

      Delete
  2. ...it's all about priorities. :) I've learned that I have enough of what I need--what GOD thinks I need--not necessarily enough of what *I* want or *think* I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Determining wants vs. needs gets tricky, doesn't it? Thanks, Jaimie.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I feel this way, too. We have too much stuff. We DON'T take enough time for things that matter. I've been trying to slowly purge and eliminate. I don't know if I can get us down to a suitcase. ;) But I bet I can get rid of a bunch of STUFF that we don't really need..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been working on purging as well. Perhaps that's why my five minute focus ended up being about "enough stuff." Enjoy your clean-out, and let me know if you get it down to a suitcase! :) Thanks, Amber!

      Delete
  4. "I’m tired of moving around and maintaining stuff"

    Yes, so much stuff. To be dusted and arranged and put somewhere. Blech. Me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband calls knick-knacks "dust collectors." I love your word choice. Wish I had thought of that at midnight. Double-blech! Thanks for commiserating with me.

      Delete
  5. I have been going through the entire house once a month a box leaves our home slated for a local charity. After almost one year it is much better but still not there yet. We thinned our belongings seriously last year when we move almost 2,000 miles and yet, there is still too much. Talk about guilt. I have been such a consumer but now nothing enters that isn't needed and other items are still going. Hopefully I will win this one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you are winning already. Keep fighting the good fight!

      Delete
  6. It's all about love isn't it? Loving God, loving others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First comes love! Thanks, Laura. Hope to see you again.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)