Wednesday, August 1, 2012

When The Baby Won’t Nap and You Don’t Have a Blog Post


Have you ever had one of those days? The kind where the whole world seems to cave in on you? The kind where the to-do list is longer than your arm, you’re feeling a little snuffly, and it seems that all the children want to do is dump puzzles all over the floor?

Of course you have.

Today, I wanted to write a blog post about a book I thought you all might like, and I needed to pay some bills, and I needed to start packing for a trip coming up, and I needed to get some laundry done, and I needed…and I needed…and I needed.

And the baby was fussy and clingy. At least, we still call him the baby, even though he’s 18 months old. But he toddles up to me and claps his hands on the sides of my legs, staring up at me and screeching, searching for some comfort and assurance and love. (Aren’t we all?)


We struggle through lunch and no one likes the food and the baby throws it all on the floor.

And I cart him around on a hip, praying that my back doesn’t go out, making my piles for vacation as I clean up lunch and the floor and wonder when I’ll get those checks written and the clothes out of the dryer.

We rush to the blessed relief of naptime where I might have a few moments to think two thoughts together without being interrupted by runny noses and questions about chickens and cheerios on the floor.

There is quiet, and I rush to the kitchen in a desperate quest for chocolate-induced tranquility.

But after just a few ticks and tocks of the clock, the toddler’s cries are a siren through the monitor, warning me of the pain and injury of being awake and alone in the crib.

I retrieve him, and we begin that age-old dance of mother and child, rocking back and forth…back and forth…back and forth, listening to our hearts beating in time together.

He goes back to bed quietly, and I go back to…what was I doing?

By the time I scour the depths of my memory and flail about the house to settle on what needs to happen next, the wailing shatters my composure. I march back to the crib, determined that he will sleep. My will will be done. I am mother – hear me roar!

And then I see him. Even though he’s only been there a few minutes, his little figure is slouched against the crib rail, tears puddled on his chubby cheeks, his head resting on his arm. I lift him to my shoulder, and he nuzzles his fuzzy little head into my neck, his downy hair soft and tickly on my cheek, his warm body sinking into mine as if to say I love you.


Tears puddle in my eyes, and I whisper I love you.

And so I offer you my deepest apologies. I don’t have a blog post for today.










~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
~~~~~

Linking with A Holy ExperienceGrowing HomeTime-Warp-WifeRaising ArrowsThe Better MomGood Morning GirlsRaising HomemakersA Wise Woman Builds Her HomeWomen Living Well


Pin It!

25 comments:

  1. You are a great mom. Thanks for this real, honest reminder. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you - babies grow up so fast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, ladies. It's a better day today, and he's taking a looooong nap after none yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know those days. Mine were all sick last week. Now to catch up. What a sweet little man you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenifer! They're all pretty wonderful. :)

      Delete
  5. So much lands on our plates as we are trying to post, trying to meet our family needs/situations. AND a baby??? That will adjust and adjust and readjust the posting. You done good....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and the encouraging word! Hope to see you again....

      Delete
  6. You about made me cry! That was quite the "non-post"! It was a good reminder to have patience and compassion for my little ones when they don't "do what I say". Thanks for that lovely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my - I have tears in my eyes, too. I know this scene so very well. Visiting from The Better Mom, and I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky. So glad you stopped by today.

      Delete
  8. Meghan, thanks for sharing! I've had many of those moments, and I think sometimes we need to just choose our children. Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Crystal. Blessings to you in your new home!

      Delete
  9. Tears here too!! You're such a good writer!! Saying "hello" as a new follower :)

    Kristen @ Trial and Error Homemaking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristen, for your kind words. So glad to have you as a follower!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful post! I`m in this season of life, too, so this was a great reminder!

    Greetings from Germany!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your profile pic, Stephanie! So glad you could drop in from Germany! Hope to see you again....

      Delete
  11. I have had several days like that in a row. :) I love this because I relate to it on so many levels. Thank you for the reminder (and I need it desperately) that our children are far more important than any work or blogs we have to do. Stopping by from Time Warp Wife. Blessings from Croatia: A Little R & R: www.littlerandr.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I watch my children grow, I realize that those moments pass all too soon. Thanks so much for coming by, Rosilind, all the way from Croatia! Hope to see you again!

      Delete
  12. I've been having "one of those days" for the past few months. I can also relate to pausing that tyrannical to-do list to cherish the moments we need to treasure with our little ones -- who aren't little very long. Great post!

    Glad I found your blog through Top 10 Tuesday. I'm following you now. =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're here, Sara, and thanks for the follow. Your blog looks great -- returning the follow!

      Delete
  13. I shouted out this post on my blog here: http://www.littlerandr.org/2012/08/weekend-roundup_11.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad my few minutes of writing were encouraging to you. Thanks so much, Rosilind! I'm honored.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)