Friday, August 31, 2012

Equally Changed After All


(It’s Five Minute Friday with Lisa-Jo Baker – writing for five minutes without stopping to edit or analyze. If you’d like to join in, you’re more than welcome! This Friday’s prompt is change.) 

I would make the perfect nomad.

I love the packing of boxes and the ripping sound of the tape sealing up all those precious items. I love the up and down of the moving ramp and the drive to a new location full of mystery and discovery. I love the unpacking and the deciding and the rearranging and the bumping your toe on the chair in the middle of the night because you don’t quite know where everything is yet.

I love new. Fresh. Undiscovered.


I could live in one place until I really know it (six months?) and then spend a few comfortable months (a year) there. Then that’s enough. Time to move on and discover new worlds, new people, new customs, new ways to organize my boring old stuff.

My husband is a deep roots kind-of guy. He can’t get enough oxygen and water from just the surface of a place. He needs to dig down deep to get the nutrients for life, so deep that it takes a backhoe to scoop him out. He would live in the same boring house in the same boring neighborhood in the same boring town for all of his life.


Not to say that I’m better – or that he’s better. Stability is a great quality in a husband.

But you can see our problem.

So we travel a lot, and I get to explore new places to stay and vacation destinations. He listens to me talk about different places and what it might be like to live there. We look at maps a lot. But we’ve been in the same large metropolitan area for our entire (almost twenty years) married life.


But something interesting is happening. I’m getting a little better at staying in the same place (as long as I get to move the furniture now and then). He’s getting a little more accepting of change and sounds rather enthusiastic when I say I would like to live in Ireland or New Zealand. As we grow together, we’re changing about change.

Time to pack!








Do you like change? Or do your roots go deep?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
~~~~~

Linking with Women Living WellThankful HomemakerFar Above RubiesGrowing HomeTime-Warp WifeMarriage MondayThe Alabaster JarThe Better MomHomemaker by ChoiceHoly Spirit-Led HomeschoolingComfy in the KitchenFive Minute Friday


Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Oh...as a missionary kid and an adult ex-pat, your words stir so much emotion...I can truly say that I understand both sides of the coin and have felt BOTH very strongly at different points in my life. Thank you for letting me get to know you {and your man} a little better here in just 5 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really get around, Lindsey -- and I don't even have a passport! Thanks so much for your interest here. I'm your newest follower!

      Delete
  2. LOL! Enjoyed reading! And I enjoy CHANGE with moving furniture too! :)

    But, I've lived in the same house now for 20 years! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just brainstorming new furniture arrangements the other day, and I couldn't come up with anything that I thought would work better than what we have now. So, now what? Maybe the walls are wanting a new color. . . . And the seasons are changing, so I can bring out my autumn decorations soon. Thanks so much for stopping by today!

      Delete
  3. Having been on both sides, both the staying put and the pulling up roots, I've found that whichever side of the fence I'm on at the moment has me longing for the other side. It's been a good lesson in learning contentment no matter where I land and how long I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, Kimberly, and I'm always careful to examine myself to see if it's just a battle of contentment. But there are times when I would leave everything behind just to go somewhere, to see something new. The more I get to know people, the more I realize that some of us are quite happy to stay put because travel or change makes them nervous and some of us feel energized at the thought of seeing or trying something new. My husband loves to travel (it's the actual moving that he doesn't care for), but his parents really only leave their small town to come see us an hour away. They don't really have any interest in our travels. It's fascinating to think how God made all of us so unique.

      Anyway, good comment! Made me think. So glad you took the time to stop by today!

      Delete
  4. You have a gift with words that makes the reader, at least this one, keep reading. Well done. Sweet post.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)