Friday, August 24, 2012

Hearts Joined


(It’s Five Minute Friday again with Lisa-Jo Baker – writers writing for five minutes without stopping to edit or analyze. If you’d like to join in, you’re more than welcome! This Friday’s prompt is join.)  

I leaned over the bed rail, the cold, smooth, stainless steel rod pushing into my ribs, and I kissed her on the forehead. She lay there so tiny and somber, not a single tear on her cheek. I think she must not have realized what was happening. What had happened. I wanted to join her on that gurney and take the needle and the stitches for her. And as they took her around the corner into a surgery room that I, the mother, had never seen, had never approved, a piece of my heart was torn out and went around the corner with her.


I had never seen a hospital gown for a three-year-old.

Of course, I was sure I could have prevented the accident. If I had just been watching her a little more, been a bit more mindful, she wouldn’t have fallen on that straw. Now the soft, tender flesh of her palette was dangling inside her mouth, and those mean doctors were taking her away from me.

The surgery and all that went with it only lasted about an hour, but it was an awfully long time to hold my breath. And pray.

In recovery, I held her hand and stroked the damp hair off her brow. My heart was joined with its’ broken piece, and I knew that all would be right.











~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
~~~~~

Linking with A Mama StoryWomen Living WellThankful HomemakerGrowing HomeTime-Warp WifeThe Better MomRaising ArrowsYour Thriving FamilyHoly Spirit-Led HomeschoolingComfy in the KitchenFaith-Filled FridayFive Minute Friday


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. ohhhh moments/ events like this hurt a Momma's heart. So bad! (And mouths bleed SO much!!) You poor thing. Praise God that little ones heal so fast and forget even faster!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The healing was quite fast, and, although she hasn't completely forgotten it, I'm sure she doesn't remember it like I do! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, just a powerful post. Motherhood makes us so vulnerable, our hearts aching in moments like this. I love how the Father was there, too, making sure your heart was not in pieces, holding you tight. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God definitely protected her -- it could have been much, much more serious! Thanks so much for your encouraging words, Jennifer!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I hate the thought of a three year old hospital gown. My daughter had to go into the hospital last year, and the whole time, my heart just felt sick and lost. I know God was with us, and in control but a mama heart is never fully at peace unless her babies are near and whole. So glad it all turned out well and she was right back where she belongs, with her mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that many have been through much worse than this, like my husband's brother and his wife whose son, at three months old, had major surgery. After my experience with this "little" surgery, I can't imagine how so many parents deal with illnesses and injuries and hospital stays of their children. Thank you for stopping by and commenting today, Alia.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)