Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Kitchen Creations ~ Cucumber-Onion Salad


If your family is anything like mine, there are only so many fresh cucumbers you can eat before you want something a little different.

Here is that something.
As it goes with so many recipes, I can’t remember where I first read this one. Plus, we’ve modified it over the years, so I’m not really sure how much it resembles the original any more.

I like it because the vegetables remain fresh, you can mix it right in your serving bowl (less dish-washing!), and it uses an herb I don’t get out of the cabinet much.

Ingredients:

2 large cucumbers
1 large sweet onion (Vidalia are best if you can find them)
Sour cream
Dillweed
~1 tsp. vinegar
Instructions:

Chop cucumbers and onions into bite-size pieces. 


Combine in your serving bowl.

Add dollops of sour cream to your desired level of goopiness. We use one to two cups.

Add dillweed to taste, depending upon your amount of cucumbers and onions. We use about 1 tbsp. (“It looks like grass,” says the six-year-old. J)
Add vinegar. Apple-cider vinegar is best, but white will work as well.

Stir.

We make this quite often during the harvest season and serve it with anything that comes off the grill. Enjoy!










~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
~~~~~

Linking with Cherished BlissGrowing HomeTime-Warp WifeAn Original BelleThe Southern InstituteRaising ArrowsThe Better MomHomemaker by ChoiceFantabulous FridayComfy in the KitchenFrugal GirlsOur Simple Country LifeEmbracing ChangeSouthern LovelyRaising HomemakersWomen Living WellA Wise Woman Builds Her Home


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Lekker. A clear recipe. I usually peel( right english word?) the cucumber and mix it with yogurt dressing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google Translate tells me that "lekker" means "nice" or "tasty" or "delicious." Thanks! Yogurt dressing sounds lekker too! Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
  2. I love cucumbers, this sounds so good!! I'll have to make it this week! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to know how it turns out, Kimberly. Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  3. Hi Meghan, I missed your post about taking the bitter taste out of a cucumber until I followed it on the link in this recipe. I'm 61 and never knew you could do that...thanks for that bit of wisdom as well as this recipe.
    Gail (BibleLoveNotes.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find it as helpful as we have, Gail. Enjoy your cucumbers, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)