Thursday, August 2, 2012

Sewing Seeds: Toothbrush Travel System


When you travel, do your toothbrush covers get all gunky and gross with toothpaste spit? Yeah, mine doesn’t either because I meticulously clean them after every use – not!

We love to travel, even with six children, so when I saw the tutorial for this Travel Toothbrush Holder on Raising Arrows, I knew I had to do it. As I thought about it, I also knew there were a few modifications I wanted to make to fit our personal needs. (I’m not including a bunch of pictures because Amy has a lot of good pics on her post, and I don’t want to steal her thunder. She gets all the credit!)


I wanted space for two tubes of toothpaste. My husband and I and the Bigs use Colgate Total, but the package says it’s not for children under 12. I don’t know, but maybe there’s something in there that shouldn’t be swallowed? Since we are (okay, okay, I am) super careful, the Littles use Aquafresh or Aim. (Don’t get me started on so-called children’s toothpaste that tastes like candy or bubble gum. How are they supposed to continue with the tooth-brushing habit as they transition to adulthood where all the toothpaste is minty? They should learn to like the mint from the beginning. Okay, I got started. Sorry. Done now. Back to the toothbrush holder.)

Just like Amy said to do, I folded up 2/3 of the length of the towel. I pinned off the spaces, making two pockets three inches wide for our two tubes of toothpaste and nine pockets one and a half inches wide for toothbrushes. That’s an extra toothbrush space, but that’s how the measurements worked out. (Maybe we’ll get to fill it someday if God blesses us again! J) I also added in a four and a half inch space for my husband’s travel size bottle of Listerine. I figured that if I was going to make something for tooth care items, it also ought to include the mouthwash.


I then stitched in the pockets.

I put two 30-inch pieces of ribbon on the end so that it would be tied closed securely. I’m sharing a picture of where I stitched the ribbon because I had a blonde moment when I looked at Amy’s picture and couldn’t quite figure it out. (And yes, I used to be blonde – before babies.)



I also plan to use those pieces of ribbon to tie the toothbrush holder to the towel rod or a hook in the bathroom of our lodging. Some bathrooms don’t have much counter space, and I’m not a fan of my children dropping their toothbrushes on the counter to mop up germs.
When we get home after a trip, I’ll just throw it in the washing machine and then pack it in the suitcase until our next trip. Words cannot express my euphoria with throwing away the gunky toothbrush covers!
Thank you, Amy at Raising Arrows, for sharing this wonderful make-my-life-easier-and-do-it-yourself tutorial!

If you want to pin it, please go to Raising Arrows and pin from there so that the link goes back to Amy’s blog. Alternatively, I have pinned it from her blog, so you can re-pin from my board.

Happy sewing!








How does it look? Easy? How do you organize when you travel?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
~~~~~



Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. aren't you the cutest crafter??!

    Drop by nichollvincent.blogspot.com and say hello! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. It looks easy and very practical. Any good travel tips are always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie. It's easy to make and easy to use!

      Delete
  3. Wow!!! What a clever idea! I must make one of these for our family! Thanks so much for sharing.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delayed in responding to comments because we were traveling this past week. We used this toothbrush holder and everyone loved it. So glad I saw it on Raising Arrows!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)