Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Ten Reasons to Homeschool


  1. Curriculum choices. Homeschooling can be anything from plugging in the DVD player to borrowing books from the library and writing up your own tests to traveling the country to see war re-enactments and museums.
  2. A positive social environment at home. The Mr. and I both had difficult social experiences as children in the public school system.Want to jump on the band wagon and build your child’s self-esteem? Protect them from the Lord of the Flies circumstances in some public school situations.
  3. Privacy in dressing. In middle school P.E., part of my grade was based on the requirement to walk, unclothed, through a slight mist the school termed showers, in a line of girls, and stand, still unclothed, in front of the female P.E. teacher while she checked my name off a list and then handed me my towel. (Really. I’m not exaggerating in the slightest.) So…no, thank you. That’s not exactly an experience I want to replicate for my children.
  4. Schedule. My husband is a college professor. As such, his time off occurs during the college breaks. The school schedule and the Mr.’s schedule would never allow all of us to be off school at the same time and take a family vacation – except at Christmas. We’re not eager to spend Christmas Day in a hotel room!
  5. Field trips.The Mr. and I and the Littles like the zoo and museums also. Why should the school-age children have all the fun?
  6. Learning. My husband and I are education addicts. We love to learn with our children. We love reviewing history and science and re-learning everything we had forgotten or, in many instances, had never learned at all. As we homeschool, our love of learning is being transferred to our children.
  7. Customization. We have a child who is interested in drawing and art. This can be incorporated into nearly every subject as well as added to that child’s curriculum. Each child can study in-depth what interests him, whether it be nutrition, clock-making, veterinary science, art, writing, computers.
  8. Time management. When I was in school, I waited for the bus for five to ten minutes. I rode the bus for another thirty. I spent probably thirty minutes going to my locker and moving between classes. Nearly every class period I would finish my work early and then have to wait. (Maybe that’s why I love reading!) At home, there is no wasted time with transportation, walking the hallways, waiting for the teacher to explain the lesson again, waiting for the bell to ring. We finish school in three to four hours.
  9. Cost-efficiency. Homeschooling is cheaper. We re-use our curriculum, so once a child hits fourth grade, all we need to purchase are the consumable work-texts (the books in which they write). This costs about $50 per child. By staying at home, we avoid a lot of extra expenses in clothing, lunches, supplies, and transportation. Schools in our larger metropolitan area are beginning to charge to ride the bus, and the school supply requirement lists include such ridiculousness as having to buy a certain size box of tissues and multiples of other essentials.
  10. The Firsts. Just as I enjoy the first smile and the first step and the first word, I also love witnessing that first word read, that first math problem figured correctly, those first moments of understanding.

In the coming days, I’ll be sharing how we prepare for a new school year.









This certainly isn’t an exhaustive list. What reasons do you have for homeschooling?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
~~~~~

Linking with Thrive at HomeThe Modest MomConsider the LiliesYour Thriving FamilyComfy in the KitchenWomen Living WellNo Ordinary Blog HopThankful HomemakerGrowing HomeTop Ten TuesdayTime-Warp-Wife


Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. I appreciated this so very much! We're praying about this right now at our house, and if we go with homeschooling this year, we'll be pestering you regularly for suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be praying for you in this matter, Angie, and feel free to pester away! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Thank you! Here in Holland there are good christian schools. So our children go to reformed schools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some good Christian schools as well as some good public schools. I've thought of posts of ten reasons to send your children to Christian school as well as ten reasons to send your children to public school. I had an excellent orchestra experience in public school as well as some wonderful teachers. Homeschooling is just what's right for us, right now, and I wanted to share my enthusiasm (as well as link up with another blog where the theme is Top Ten Tuesday and my theme right now seems to be homeschooling). Thanks, as always, for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I can echo each of your reasons! This will be our 10th year, and all the reasons are still there.

    Blessings on your homeschool year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa, and blessings to you too. It's an exciting time of year!

      Delete
  4. Great list! I agree with all of these reasons. I would include them all on our list, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our lists are quite similar, Sara! :) I didn't include safety on mine, although I thought it!

      Delete
  5. I just started home schooling my five year old son, and I've gotta say, I'm sitting here nodding in agreement to this whole list! (Well, except my husband isn't a college professor. Lol!) Some of these I hadn't even thought of, but #'s 2, 5, 6 and 10 are big ones for me.

    I'm visiting from Thrive @ Home Thursday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped by today, Becky, and blessings on your homeschool year!

      Delete
  6. Great list! I look forward to homeschooling my daughter when she is older. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenni. Homeschooling is a great way to connect (or stay connected) with your children. I wouldn't trade a single second of it.

      Delete
  7. Meghan,I have been homeschooling our only child ,our son since he was 4 years old,I am proud to say that he is now in the 11th grade,and turning 17 this year :)
    Homeschooling has been such a huge blessings.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)