Sunday, August 26, 2012

What is a Typical Day for Homeschool?


Typical is a word that scares me. I mean, who wants to be considered typical? Isn’t that, to some extent, why we homeschoolers homeschool? To march to the beat of a different drummer?

So I was a bit reluctant to write about our “typical day in the life” for the iHomeschool Network link-up.

I was also reluctant because I want always to be completely honest with you, and I didn’t want to share the organized chaos that we call school. (Please remember I have six children, ages 19 months to 12 years.) Plus, typical is different in August than it is in November or February!

But then that little whisper, that tickle in my ear from the Holy Spirit, said that community and relationship can be found in typical. And I think, as you read, that our day may not be that different from yours. That’s a good thing, and I pray that you will be blessed and encouraged here.

Here is our goal ~~

7:00a.m. My husband and I rise and dress, greeting the day with a smile, and have private Bible study and prayer time.

7:30a.m. The children arise and call their mother blessed, dressing in their pinafores and ribbon ties, having their private Bible study and prayer time.

8:00a.m. Our family of eight sits down together for prayer and a hearty breakfast of eggs, homemade pancakes, and fresh-squeezed orange juice.
8:30a.m. Our children line up in age order for their goodbye hug from Daddy. I, the manicured and perfectly coiffed wife, give my husband a big goodbye smooch.

9:00a.m. The three oldest begin their subjects, earning straight As on everything and forming little study groups to assist each other. I complete kindergarten material with the six-year-old while cuddling the toddler and supervising the quiet and calm engineered block-building of the pre-schooler.

11:00a.m. The Littles watch an educational video, reciting the alphabet and numbers, while I affix shiny red star stickers to all the work of the Bigs and enjoy a quiet cup of cappuccino with a devotional book. 

12:30p.m. While the Littles pick up all their toys and put them away in the proper places, the Bigs and I work together to fix a lunch of homemade ham salad on rye, Minestrone soup, and carrot and celery sticks.

1:30p.m. We enjoy a read-aloud time where everyone sits quietly and listens before the Littles head to nap-time.

Here is typical ~~

7:20a.m. My husband and I straggle out of bed, praying for the day as we dress. (That’s still only seven hours – or less – of sleep!)

7:45a.m. My husband wakes the children while I start up the computer and pray some more. Some of the Bigs are already awake and reading in bed (Bible and/or fiction).

8:15a.m. Everyone finally arrives at the table, most of the children still in their pajamas, for a quick bowl of cold cereal.

8:40a.m. Daddy leaves after hasty hugs and kisses. I brush my unfixed hair out of my face for a drive-by goodbye kiss.

8:55a.m. The toddler climbs up on the coffee table and launches sock balls (and all the rest of the clean and folded laundry) off like hand grenades.

9:15a.m. With breakfast cleaned up, I fix my hair while the Bigs gets their school work started and the Littles dump blocks all over the floor.

9:30a.m. I read my Bible standing at the kitchen counter, slurping down another cup of cappuccino.

9:45a.m. I change the diapers of the two little boys and get them dressed.

9:53a.m. “Mommy, can we watch a movie?” “No.”

10:30a.m. The last of the Bigs finally gets dressed.

10:45a.m. I referee a struggle between the two little boys over a truck and wonder why they aren’t playing with the blocks all over the floor.

10:47a.m. “Mommy, can we watch a movie?” I give in and put in Baby Einstein.

11:10a.m. I change a diaper.

11:12a.m. “Mom, I need help.”

11:13a.m. “Mom, Samuel took my pencil.”

11:14a.m. “Mom, what is this current events report I’m supposed to do?”

11:15a.m. “Mom, I think Andrew’s poopy.”

11:18a.m. I change another diaper.

11:20a.m. “Mom, I have a language test so I’m going back in your room.”

11:25a.m. I manage to have ten seconds alone in the bathroom before the toddler shoves the door open and waltzes in to tear tissues from the box.

11:28a.m. “Mommy, can we watch another movie?” “No.”

11:30a.m. “Mom, I need help.”

11:35a.m. While quickly checking email, I realize I haven’t done phonics with the six-year-old.

11:40a.m. “Mom, what’s for lunch?”

11:49a.m. I step on a block on the floor, its’ sharp edge digging the flesh out of the bottom of my foot.

11:50a.m. I sit for fifteen minutes to run through phonics flashcards with the six-year-old. While she recites, the pre-schooler hovers near and repeats everything she says.

12:15p.m. “Mom, what am I supposed to do here?”

1:00p.m. I get out the bread, peanut butter, and jelly.


I don’t have any photos of the typical. J Anyway, reality truly is somewhere in between! 









What is your “typical” day? Do you have a difference between your goal and your reality?





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
~~~~~

Linking with Homemaker by ChoiceHoly Spirit-Led HomeschoolingComfy in the KitchenOur Simple Country LifeRaising HomemakersA Wise Woman Builds Her HomeWomen Living WellTrue Aim EducationFar Above RubiesThankful HomemakerGrowing HomeTime-Warp WifeThe Modest MomMama MomentsThe Better MomRaising ArrowsiHomeschool Network


Pin It!

26 comments:

  1. I think that if we were all honest, the actual is really the typical! Thanks for a humorous look at the crazy days of a homeschool family! Don't you just love it! :)
    Leah
    Learning 4 Keeps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it! Typical changes over time, too, doesn't it? Today's typical won't be next month's typical, at least for us, as the children learn and change and grow. So glad you stopped by, Leah!

      Delete
  2. That's hilarious! I can certainly relate. I put down what I would like to see happen each day, but rarely does a day happen *exactly* like that! Life is crazy, and I only have two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a schedule, like most. I just didn't put it all down, figuring there will be enough posts like that already. But you're right, we rarely get the schedule exactly right. And that's okay, as long as we're learning and growing and enjoying the journey. Thanks so much for commenting, Jennifer!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, I LOVED the pictures! The homeschooling dollhouse family! Funniest Blog Hop post I've read so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone in the dollhouse family behaves exactly as they should! Thanks for the kind words, Deb!

      Delete
  4. The actual is much more entertaining! Love the pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And more fun, day-to-day! Thanks for reading today, Eddie!

      Delete
  5. Ha Ha Ha! Laughing because we can all relate. So glad to read your posts. Dawn homeschooler of 5 ages 7 months - 9 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With ages 7 and under, you probably have your own dollhouse family that behaves just right all the time, too! Thanks for your comment, and blessings on your school year, Dawn!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this! Feel's so good on days when things so semi-planned, but the reality is it doesn't and that's part of the reason we love homeschooling! flexibility :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't very good at flexibility when we started homeschooling eight years ago. But learning to be flexible has been the best thing that could happen for us. It's hard to find the fun when you're missing the flexibility! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Love it! I'm glad we're all in this organized chaos together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Kindred spirits" in this community, as Anne would say. Thanks so much for your encouragement today, Marsha, and chin up!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for such a real post. It's encouraging to know that even with difficult days, it is possible to homeschool successfully! (I had a rough one today, so it's nice to know my family is normal)http://ramblingsmom.com/2012/08/28/all-in-a-day-or-proof-that-homeschool-moms-does-not-equal-more-patience/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Education isn't just in books and tests and chairs. It is everywhere if we just look for it. But I haven't figured out how to make sock-ball throwing educational. Maybe if we figure the trajectory. . . . Thanks for stopping by, Savannah!

      Delete
  9. This post so made me smile. No matter how hard I try to imagine otherwise, thats our home too! Love your dollhouse pics. -April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dolls were perfect subjects and so easy to work with! :) Thanks for dropping in, and I hope to see you again!

      Delete
  10. From one "perfectly coiffed wife" to another, thanks for sharing this! Real homeschool life is laughable at times, so its good to take a moment to laugh at the craziness. And laugh with our children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder how miserable the people who can't laugh at themselves must be, whether it be about homeschooling or any other part of life. "A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones." (Proverbs 17:22) Laughing together is an incredibly bonding experience. Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  11. Six is hard work. Although I don't "homeschool", I have a little preschool. I have six too, but they aren't old enough to be doing serious studies. It is fun to hear what everyone else does and how crazy their life is too! Because mine sure is! Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vast blogosphere is terrific for helping us know we're not the only crazy ones! Thanks so much for the link-up!

      Delete
  12. I am a first time reader and I love this!! I love the "sock bombs" visual. My 7 yo daughter has Down Syndrome and is the best at launching "sock bombs" along with any other item of clothing, schoolwork, or whatever is just laying there begging to be launched. I think that extra chromosome gives her a little extra feistiness. :) Homeschooling our three kids, ages 10, 7 and 5 is the best decision our family has made. While we have our good days and not so good days, I call any day, no matter how atypical it is, a good day since they are all home with me. I praise the Lord for His grace and mercy in our lives. I look forward to reading many more posts!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you commented, Michelle, with such a positive attitude. I agree completely -- as long as they are all home with me it is a good day. I needed that encouragement after the Monday we just struggled through. Hope to see you back here again soon!

      Delete
  13. I just stumbled across your blog and simply must say how thankful I am for this post! In my mind everyone else does the first timeline you posted so I always feel "behind" the curve somehow. I was so thrilled when I kept reading because it showed me that our days were quite typical indeed! God bless you! I can't wait to keep reading :-) Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of life can be found "behind the curve"! A schedule only works when it helps you live your life. I'm glad this was encouraging to you, Betsy. So glad to have you here!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)