Friday, September 14, 2012

An Appointment with the Optometrist


(It’s time for Five Minute Friday again with Lisa-Jo Baker. Bloggers writing for five minutes without stopping and without editing on the one-word prompt focus. Why not join in this week?)

I have an appointment with the optometrist about nine hours from this writing.

I will sit in her leather chair that feels like a doctor’s chair. She will darken the room and flip her gizmos and gadgets. I will hear the click and the clack of lens flipping in and out.

“One or two?”

“One.”

“Three or four. Which is better?”

“Four.”

“Now. Five or six.”

A pause in the darkness as I contemplate.

“Or are they about the same?”

“Um . . . six is a little better.”

“Seven or eight.”

Suddenly, a clack of a lens into place, and all the room comes into sharp focus.

“Seven. Definitely.”

Why can’t life be like that? Slip a lens into place and doubts dissipate. Fog lifts. The way is clear.


I read a blog. I realize I’m neglecting my family by not feeding them healthy enough food.

I read a FB status and realize I haven’t scrapbooked since . . . . Well, I can’t remember when.

I read another blog. I really should be making all of my children’s Christmas gifts by hand.

I skim through Twitter. I haven’t . . . .

Where is the focus?

And then the whisper. That gentle breeze through my soul. The Great Optometrist who brings everything into focus.

Mind me.









Where is your focus? Do you get confused and sidetracked from minding the Lord? How do you get back on track?

{An addendum ~ I am not against blogging or social media. I’m here myself! I am for minding the Lord.}




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~

This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.


Pin It!

31 comments:

  1. LOVE this! I so relate to wanting focus on Him to be as easy as a "click!" I often get sidetracked and have to mentally pull myself away from the hustle and bustle, take a deep breath, and remind myself that it can NOT all be done so why am I trying? Then I'll tell myself to LEAN on Him and look to Him for guidance, love, grace, mercy (my list goes on for MILES) and He is always there, holding His arms open waiting for me to come running back.

    God is so good! THANK YOUR for your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is always there, ready to guide, whenever we are ready to follow. Whenever we are ready to focus. Praying that the Lord will help us all to fix our eyes on Him, the author and perfecter of our faith. Thanks, Amanda!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. So glad to see you here again, Stephanie. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. nice post thanks for sharing the 5 minutes friday...looking for to visit more..blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you came by, and hope to see you again. Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. So true, He loves us so much that even in the midst of all the distractions...He whispers our name as a reminder that He's still there. Our job is to make sure we respond. Love your post!;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a whisper that gives me goose-bumps. Best thrill in the world! So glad you stopped by today.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post. My daughter just had her eyes checked - I can completely relate to this - thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Debbie.

      Delete
  6. I love how you bring the great Optomotrist into this! Beautiful!
    Cheers to you and thanks for linking up with Ladies HOliday on Photo Friday...Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I wondered if it sounded a little hokey -- "The Great Optometrist." But we call God "The Great Physician," and one of the rules of the exercise is no editing. I'm glad it was an encouragement to you.

      Delete
  7. Perfect example! Absolutely perfect. I so wish life could be like that more often! haha. To just suddenly have everything snap into sharp focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would constantly be in the will of God, wouldn't we? But instead, we get muddled without our focus. Thanks for your kind comment, Mary Beth.

      Delete
    2. Yes we would! If only it were as simply as the perfect pair of glasses! haha. Thanks for linking up with WIP!

      Delete
  8. Tremendous example! I loved it and boy could I relate! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great post, too. Distractions are a problem for many! Thanks, Lori!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise. Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  10. Such a beautiful analogy, Meghan. I was IN that optometrist chair! Thank you for making our choice in each moment, to see through a new lens; the lens of Grace, our focus.
    Looking forward to my next visit with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Paula, and I hope to see you again. Looking forward to your return.

      Delete
  11. This is awesome! Thank you!

    Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Meghan. This is so good. And, perfectly timed. I just had my eye-doctor appointment on Friday! Fancy that. :)

    Thank you for linking with Getting Down With Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, we were probably focusing at the same time! Thanks so much for the link-up opportunity. I appreciate your efforts on your blog.

      Delete
  13. Love this! it is so easy to get distracted by so many things, even good things. When in reality, all we really need to do is what HE calls us to do...nothing else matters. So hard to live out though in a world constantly saying "you're not enough."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few parts of my life I know He has called me to, and those are the parts in which I find the most joy and to which I feel the most committed despite the naysayers. But I agree with your point, Crystal. There would be even more joy and more commitment without those downers. Chin up -- you're doing a good work!

      Delete
  14. Very thought provoking post. I like the idea of everything being in focus when we look through the eyes of the master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it exactly like that, but that's even better! So glad you commented today, Vicky!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)