Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I Love You ~ Not Your Stuff


Too often, we tie up our value in the value of our stuff. When we give something, and I mean specifically a used furniture or household item that would be considered a hand-me-down, especially within a family, it’s as if we are giving a piece of ourselves. So when that something is not loved and appreciated as we had loved and appreciated it, we feel rejection.

Perhaps you experience it from the other side. You are given a “family heirloom”, and you don’t care for it. As much as you try, you cannot find a spot or use or love for it. Yet, the giver becomes upset when you don’t want it, as if you don’t want him or her in your life.

This grieves me. I don’t think that’s the way God would have it. We are to love people, and that love ought not have anything to do with their stuff.



This is what my heart speaks to the givers ~

Just because I don’t like the pattern on the china, it doesn’t mean I don’t like you.

Just because I don’t have space for a curio cabinet, it doesn’t mean I don’t have space for you.

Just because I can’t find a function for your wardrobe, it doesn’t mean you don’t have a function.

Just because your box springs don’t fill a need for me right now, it doesn’t mean you don’t fill a need.

I love you ~ whether or not I love your stuff.










Do you feel rejected when someone doesn’t want your cast-offs? Or are you the recipient, wanting to communicate your acceptance of the giver even when you don’t want their hand-me-downs?

Related posts:




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~

This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.


Pin It!

19 comments:

  1. Hi! I found you through Women Living Well and I'm your newest follower! I look forward to connecting with you!

    Christie
    http://satisfactionthroughchrist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the follow, Christie!

      Delete
  2. Ooo, Meghan. You've touched on a good one here. I've got closets crammed with stuff I don't need, because I felt I had to take it. Thanks for the permission to just say no!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving the permission is far easier than actually saying no. I'll pray for both of us! Thanks, Jennifer.

      Delete
  3. I found this post through a link and so agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped in today! Many blessings to you.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I hate turning someone down when they want to give me something, I don't want them to feel rejected, like maybe their stuff isn't good enough for me :). It's crazy to think that there is that connection, but for some there is. Gonna try and do a better job of saying no thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, I think that no matter how nicely you say no and how honest your intentions, the other person is still hurt. I don't get it either. Keep praying and minding the Lord and don't worry about the rest! Thanks, Alecia!

      Delete
  5. Oh how true... Thank you for sharing this with the Thrive @ Home community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenni, for the comment and the link-up opportunity.

      Delete
  6. Oh my so true. I'm the Queen of keeping junk for sentimental value. Thanks for linking up with WIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we need a support group, Mary Beth. "Hi, I'm Meghan, and I'm a sentimentalist." Thanks, as always, for the link-up opportunity!

      Delete
    2. We may be surprise at how many folks turn up for the group! haha!

      Delete
  7. ain't it the truth? I have some special things that really do mean something to me- but when a fire was rushing towards our house - I knew then . . . a peace came over me - it's all just stuff after all! Now, if I can just get through that closet. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great attitude in the midst of something so life-changing, Kelli! So glad you stopped by, and thanks for the follow.

      Delete
  8. Material things can be such a stumbling block for many people. Especially when loved ones pass away and leave their things to others. It is very had for some people to accept those things, and for others to deal with NOT getting certain things. Everyone can relate to this. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our extended families - on both sides - have had upsets because great aunt or uncle wills didn't include everyone. My husband and I were SO glad that we weren't a part of that. Attachment to possessions is a fascinating psychology study. Thanks so much for commenting, and thanks for the link-up!

      Delete
  9. I couldn't agree more! We are not our stuff. And I am definitely NOT a stuff person. Beautifully said! Thank you for sharing on NOBH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the link-up opportunity, Diane. You all do a fabulous job at No Ordinary Blog Hop!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)