Friday, September 7, 2012

She Doesn’t Care About Graceful


(No rules. Just writing for five minutes, without stopping, without editing, on the one-word prompt graceful. It’s Five Minute Friday with Lisa-Jo Baker. Come join!)

Your six-year-old pleads without words, her large teardrop eyes shaking you to your soul. She wears her princess costume, the one you bought on the after-Halloween clearance sale and she hasn’t taken off since. She even donned her fancy white church shoes for the occasion.



“Can we put in some music, Mommy? Will you dance with me?”

She twirls, and her dress ruffles out about her ankles.

Your thoughts flash back to when you were her age. Dressed in an itchy, too-tight, orange-and-yellow ballet costume. You did your best to pirouette and prance and perform on the stage, but you weren’t exactly graceful. Ballet classes ended right after that horrid display of ineptness.

Now what?

All she wants is you. She doesn’t care about poise or talent or lightness-of-feet. She doesn’t notice the spit-up on your shirt from her little brother or the dirty dishes in the sink or the pile of laundry hiding behind the couch. She isn’t even picky about the music.

“Mommy?”

You push play and grasp her hand. Your stocking feet begin to move, ever-so-slightly, as she spins and twirls and circles you. Tears itch your eyes, and you squeeze her into a tight embrace.











~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~

This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.


Pin It!

25 comments:

  1. What a sweet story. It's funny, we're on the same wave length. I also associated graceful with ballerinas in my 5 Minute Friday post and also wrote earlier this week about kids just wanting to spend time with their parents. I imagine your taking the time to dance with your daughter did wonders for her. Way to go mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's uncomfortable and awkward, but she really and truly doesn't care. Imagine that! Thanks so much for commenting, Kacey!

      Delete
  2. a beautiful story with lots of heart. ever wonder why we struggle so much to do the graceful and gracious - especially with our kids?

    thanks for your post, this 5MF - a beautiful reminder of what it means to be called "mama!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get and the more time flits by, the better I am at letting my hair down. At least with my children. :) Thanks so much for your kind words, Richelle.

      Delete
  3. Those sweet moments when we let go...and can become like a child...free...lost in the music...may we be lost in the music of His love and dance. blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, and many blessings to you, Ro.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. So glad to have you here today -- or maybe it's tomorrow now in Madagascar? :) Thanks for stopping!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! Just dance.

    Aloha,
    Stopping by to say "hi" and follow ya from Ladies Holiday. I'm in total love with this little post here. We're riding the wave of life at localsugarhawaii.com and I'd love it if you'd join us...

    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! Thank you for linking up with Ladies Holiday on Photo Friday! We hope you join us next week sharing this mama-daughter beauty!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link-up opportunity. So glad you came by today!

      Delete
  7. This is something I need to remind myself much more often ...
    Thanks!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too easy to get caught up in life and miss the moments. Thanks for stopping in today, Melissa!

      Delete
    2. I agree! Thanks for stopping by my blog too! Have a great weekend ... and don't forget to dance!!

      Delete
  8. I saw you on Shanda's A Pause on the Path. Thanks for this reminder to savor the moments and be a child again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Olive. And thanks for stopping by - all the way from Turkey!

      Delete
  9. This is so true! My little dancer is so much like this, and the funny part so is my 16 year old son. Not that he likes to dance but that even under his grumbly teenagerness he still just wants my time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any teenagers yet, but my oldest will be a teen in a couple of months. It seems that teenagers need just as much time as the younger ones, if not more and just in a different way. Many blessings to you with your dancers, Jessica!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise! Many blessings to you.

      Delete
  11. (reaching for the tissues right now). You, my dear, have a wonderful way with words! That really made me cry (and want to have a girl! haha!). What a wonderful reminder that our children don't want us perfect - they just want us. Period. I have to be reminded of this on a daily basis. I am too much of a Martha and too little of a Mary. So much a do-er. Thank you for linking this very precious, heart-tugging post at Mommy Teaches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very much a do-er as well. It has helped me to re-categorize my mental to-do list and include spending time with the children as a task I need to get done every day. It is definitely one thing I will regret if I neglect it. Thank you so much for your kind words, Rosilind!

      Delete
  12. Meghan...sweet, sweet, sweet! A reminder that our children just want us to be available to them. Thank you for sharing at WJIM this week. I'm so glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and for the link-up opportunity!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)