Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ten Things to Get Rid of When You Clean Out


How good are you at de-cluttering? What did you decide you would do with that “gift” of Uncle Elmer’s curio cabinet?
I’ll admit I’ve never been an expert cleaner-outer. I’m too sentimental, too clingy. And then there’s always that nagging question ~ what if I need it later?

Of course, having six children has only made it worse. I have a dozen different sizes in my closet that I don’t want to pare down. If I lose the weight, then I’ll need the smaller sizes. And if I lose the weight and then get pregnant again, the big sizes would be good maternity clothes. Can I get an amen?

And how can I get rid of baby clothes and toys when there might be another?

So if you’re looking for some hard and fast rules, like the if-you-haven’t-worn-it-in-a-year-give-it-to-the-thrift-store rule, you won’t find them here.

What you will find is a list of a few things you might have around your house that really need to vacate the premises.
  1. Box springs without a mattress.
  2. The cassette tape player you had in high school. This one might be tough to let go, with all those memories of Duran Duran and Mister Mister. (Off topic, but what is up with musical groups repeating a word to create a name?)
  3. The shoe box full of buttons Grandma cut off her Depends for your children to use for crafts.
  4. That sweater you wore in high school with the geese and the flowers encircling the neck.
  5. Plastic claws with five of the six clips broken off.
  6. Your husband’s dress shirts with the sweat stains in the armpits. All together now – ewwww!
  7. An incomplete cassette tape system you bought to learn French. *sigh* C’est la vie.
  8. Leg warmers.
  9. Easter baskets. It seems that the baskets multiply as fast as the bunnies.
  10. A dresser-top valet that collected only pennies, lost washers, and dust.




So run those things right over to your local thrift store. Perhaps you can bless someone with your giving. You know what they say ~ one woman’s clutter is another woman’s cottage décor.

(For those of you who are my friends on Facebook ~ no, I did not get rid of the Encyclopedia Brittanicas from 1980!)








How are you at de-cluttering? What things have you eliminated? Would you keep the shoebox full of Depends buttons?

I'd love for you to leave a comment, then click through to the follow-up post. I Love You ~ Not Your Stuff.




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~

This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.


Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. I like to think I'm pretty good at decluttering, but sometimes I'll look around my house and think, "you are so kidding yourself."
    Although, I do not currently own a cassette player, leg warmers, or any hair claws, so maybe I'm not doing too bad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that there is always something that needs to go. The trick for me is mustering up the motivation to make the decision. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love decluttering.=) It is good for the soul.
    Clothes are an issue-more for me than my kids. I keep kids clothes (bigger/smaller sizes) for the kids I have, with a few sentimental outfits, the rest I pass on. I have found there are always plenty of hand me downs around if I happen to have another child.
    I have pared way down on utensils, and knick knacks. You don't need all the fancy gadgets. And more knick knacks are more to dust.
    Linking up from Thankful Homemaker.=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely paring down on knick-knacks. My husband calls them dust collectors. And it is definitely good for the soul. Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Thanks, Bernilla! :)

      Delete
  4. What a fun post to read when I am in the midst of cleaning out and donating stuff. ;) You really nailed it on those Easter baskets. My goodness! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have racked my brain, and I really and truly cannot figure out where they all came from! It's crazy! Enjoy your de-clutter, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. I just made a thrift store run today! The only thing on the list that I own is a cassette player (never liked Duran Duran or Mister Mister, btw). And I actually use the cassette player to play cassettes that I can't find cd's to replace--especially now that I have children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes when technology moves on, the parts don't move on. Maybe you could take your cassettes to someplace like Wal-Mart to have the contents put onto CDs? My birth mother took her old orchestra recordings that were reel-to-reel and had them burned to CDs. In the meantime, enjoy your cassettes, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. I love getting rid of stuff! These are great (and funny) suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, please send the leg warmers my way :)

    I loved your list. I can hold onto things for too long, too.

    Thanks for sharing at our Finished Friday Blog Party. I'm also sharing your post in my Finished Friday Participants Pinterest board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Allyson, you'll have to stop at our local thrift store, and I bet they're still there! Thanks so much for the link-up and sharing to Pinterest!

      Delete
    2. I am slightly obsessed with leg warmers, although not for myself. My three girls all wear them regularly during the fall and winter. I usually make theirs out of women's knee high socks. I have a serious problem with purchasing knee highs, I just have to steer clear of the sock aisles :)

      Delete
  8. You are so right about Easter baskets! they multiply! I think I have about 6 in my closet at my parent's house!! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every year, I do "40 things in 40 Days" during Lent, and I still feel like I never make a dent. I do need to declutter, but I think what I need more is to ORGANIZE...so I don't have doubles because I can't find the first!

    Since I also toss ponytail holders onto my "dresser valet," can I keep it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a blog just recently of someone getting rid of a bag full of stuff every day for 40 days. That's a lot of stuff! I agree with you, though. By this point, I mostly need to organize. Thanks for commenting, Meg!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)