Friday, September 28, 2012

That Is So Homeschool of You ~ Homeschool Mother’s Journal


My favorite thing this week was…

Explaining to my almost-eleven-year-old that a book report on Noah Webster did not involve reading the dictionary. {Although, that’s not a bad idea!}

What’s working for us…

Lapbooks! Have you seen the craze? They’re a lot like our Mega Birthday Card but for school. The almost-eleven-year-old completed one this week on the platypus in place of a poster.


We are loving lapbooks for two big reasons ~
  1. The smaller size makes it much easier to create and handle and store than a full-size poster.
  2. The possibilities for creativity are endless. Pockets, folding papers, pop-ups, colorful borders. We haven’t fully explored all that can be done, but Homeschool Share Blog has a great resource full of templates free for subscribers.


Questions / thoughts I have…

Let’s form a new phrase that highlights and emphasizes the many benefits of homeschooling ~ a sort of secret code that we use to compliment and encourage each other.

“That is so homeschool of you.”

For example ~
Making a fold-out lapbook about agriculture in central Indiana? That is so homeschool of you.
Taking a week-long driving tour through Civil War sites in the South? That is so homeschool of you.
Doing school in the van / in the doctor’s office / at Dad’s work? That is so homeschool of you.

What do you think?

(All credit for origination goes to my blogging friend at True Aim Parenting & Education, in a comment on my Mega Birthday Card post!)

I’m reading…

Love letters from my son. This is one of the sweetest moments of homeschooling ~ an assignment to write a letter to the teacher. Especially when Mom is the teacher!

I’m cooking…

Salsa! Technically, I’m just the assistant to my husband who chopped and sliced and diced. (And snuffled and teared up with the onions and cilantro!)

We use a little canning trick I learned from a friend that makes the actual canning part a lot easier. But, I wanted to make a pin-able image, so I’ll be sharing that tip next week. J

A photo to share…










What was your favorite thing from this week? What do you think of the phrase, “That is so homeschool of you”? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!







~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~

This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.


Pin It!

24 comments:

  1. I love it!!!! That phrase is so awesome and so true ;) Looks like you had a lovely week and I love love love the letter :) We have made a few lapbooks and I think it's time to do more. Makes it more interesting for all of us :) Great post and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letter made my week! This was our first lapbook for school, and since there are so many possibilities, we're all anxious to do more. So glad you stopped by today, Jenni.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet letter! I love getting those love letters...especially those with spelling errors and hearts. So cute and special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's just now starting to get the hang of cursive, so this will be a good paper to make a keepsake. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Hmm, that phrase would've worked well for us when I was growing up! Found you at Womanhood with purpose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly catching on in our house -- in a positive way. Have a terrific weekend!

      Delete
  4. I love the Lap Book idea! Going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lapbooks are all over the blogosphere, so you should be able to find many other examples and ideas through blogs and Pinterest. Have fun, Meg!

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of the phrase. What an awesome idea! That was a sweet letter as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All credit goes to my blogging friend at True Aim Education. So happy to have you here, Penny! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. LOL- "That is so homeschool of you!"
    That's great. It's not something I have actually thought in exactly those words but there are so many things that homeschoolers do that, well, just seem like something homeschoolers would do.
    I know many homeschoolers that this phrase fits with :D
    Stopping by from the Homeschool Mother's Journal.
    Hope you have a great rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how it sums up the homeschool way of thinking in a nutshell. So glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for stopping, and I hope to see you again!

      Delete
  7. I LOVE the "That's so homeschool of you." I just think I will have to start using that with my kiddos. :-) We really enjoy doing lapbooks in our house. We have found so many resources for them. They are fun to do and can be adapted for all ages. Hope you are having a great weekend. Glad to find your blog from the Homeschool Mother's Journal linkup. Many blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you here, Lisa! This was my first Homeschool Mother's Journal, and I really enjoyed recording our week but also being able to share tips or suggestions that aren't enough for a blog post of their own. I definitely see more lapbooks in our future. I've even seen some that cover the alphabet or numbers for Littles. Thanks for commenting, and many blessings to you!

      Delete
  8. Meghan,
    It was so nice to step back in time through reading your posts. You're blogging on lap booking, and I'm posting on whether homeschoolers should be involved politically -- oh, to return to those simpler times! Thanks for the smile. I visited from Be Not Weary today, and I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your in-depth posts, Lori. At this point, with so much going on, simple is about all I can handle as far as my own preparation goes! Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  9. I love that phrase! I'm going to start using it:) We just started lapbooking with our science this year and love it. The possibilities are endless. Enjoyed visiting your beautiful blog! From: www.toshowthemjesus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just brainstorming today with my oldest about a lapbook for a science project. I'm so glad you stopped by today, Christina, and I hope to see you again.

      Delete
  10. I'm totally on board with this new phrase. Being that my son is only three-going-on-four, we haven't done anything that "looks like" school but he's already as smart as a whip. So, is that "so homeschool of us"? LOL

    Also, I keep seeing the lapbook idea everywhere and at first I just shrugged it off as a "fad". But now, I definitely see the benefits! May have to get my son to start making some for his letters and numbers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're thinking about it, then that is definitely homeschool of you! I saw online somewhere a cute lapbook of letters and numbers. It would also involve the typical kindergarten exercises of coloring, cutting, and pasting. Have fun, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  11. just stopped by
    to say hello
    from the Better Mom linky

    we love lapbooks
    at our house
    and haven't done them
    in a while

    need to get back into them

    now following!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Alison! So glad you stopped by, and thanks for the follow. Enjoy your homeschooling!

      Delete
  12. Meghan! I am very flattered that you used the phrase, but you don't have to give me credit because you definitely own it more than me. I haven't dived into homeschooling as deep as you, just yet. Really love the photo to share! Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's catching on! Thanks for all your work with your link-up!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)