Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Solution for Student Distraction ~ Homeschool Mother’s Journal


Are you glad it's Friday?

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

Shooting range ear muffs make for better grades. I’m not exaggerating.

I first saw this idea on Large Families on Purpose, and I knew immediately it was sheer brilliance. They really are called shooting range ear muffs, and I bought them at Wal-Mart for about eight dollars. (They come in pink also, but the boys were adamant that they would absolutely, under no circumstances, wear pink muffs.) They don’t put the child in complete silence, but they do significantly reduce the noise and, thus, the distraction. For a truly difficult exam, a child will sequester himself in the bedroom or playroom. But most of the time our children like to be together. The muffs allow the child to be among everyone else without the distraction of others talking or the baby crying or toys crashing.


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

The zoo! Don’t you love it when you can count Saturday as a school day? One more day closer to our state-required 180. Woo-hoo!

But why is it that we always see the rear ends of the animals? Does that happen to you too, or is it just us?


I hope your monitor isn't a wide screen.


Seen enough? Me too. Moving on....

Like most large families (I presume) we took a picnic lunch to the zoo. Apparently, the free-roaming peacock thought we should share a few bites. 


And I don’t understand why everyone stared at our 9x13 pan of cake-mix cookies. You take home-made treats for your picnic lunch also, right? J (It was almost as much fun as the time we all shared a half-gallon of Edy’s outside an overpriced ice cream shop in the tourist town of Bar Harbor, Maine!)


I’m grateful for…

A husband who prepared the above-mentioned zoo lunch! I really am spoiled.

The month of October and fall decorations, including but not limited to my daughter’s incredible subway art and little white sparkly decorator lights.


I’m praying for…

My children. As my oldest becomes a teenager next month, I’m praying that the Lord will keep rebellion far from us.


A photo to share…










Do you get odd looks when you bring cookies to the zoo? How do you block out distractions for your children? How was your week?






~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~

This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.


Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. I love the shooting range ear muffs. What a great idea. I have started a new blog hop - "Its a Wrap, My Take-Away for the Week." This post would fit in beautifully there. Please consider adding it. Savannah ww.hammocktracks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, Savannah. You're added to the list.

      Delete
  2. Great idea! New follower from NOBH. hope you will follow back.
    Be blessed,
    Julie @ Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk
    www.heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow, Julie! Blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I ALWAYS pack lunches for us when we're out and about! Not only does it make trips more frugal, but it's generally healthier and we don't have to wait for someone else to prepare them. I bought lidded plastic divided containers from Walmart and pack them up Bento style, slipping into a soft-sided cooler with ice packs. Works perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shooting range ear muffs. Our children are often using the computer and we insist they wear a headset to minimize on the distraction to the others from the noises of whatever computer activity they are engaged in. Thanks for linking up with us over at NOBH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A headset would probably do the same thing, wouldn't it? Great idea, and thanks for the link-up.

      Delete
  5. When my children were young, the zoo was our favorite place to visit! We almost always packed our own lunch and of course we had to include a fun dessert! We found the animals would be more active on rainy days, so we'd don our slickers and have some rainy day fun!
    (Love the ear muffs!)
    I'm a new follower via WWP and would love for you to visit and follow!
    Mary @ Woman to Woman
    www.marywomantowoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the animals. Our last time at the zoo it was a chilly and rainy spring day, and there was much more activity. Come to think of it, the children enjoyed it more too. Thanks for the comment and the follow. Love your blog, and I'm your newest follower!

      Delete
  6. Most of my zoo photos look like that too - animal behinds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very frustrating at first, but funny after a while!

      Delete
  7. I like to go to the cheap movie theater in town, it shows movies during that period between theaters and DVD release, and tickets are $3. They have popcorn there, and these flavor shakers for the popcorn. The shakers taste good, but it's hard to get the flavor mixed in with all of the popcorn. The top usually ends up over flavored and the bottom is bland. So, I started bringing a giant bowl where I pour my popcorn, then mix the shakers in by hand. Boy, do I get funny looks from other moviegoers with my big old bowl! It works perfectly, and it is better for sharing with my husband. More space for two hands :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those popcorn containers are rather small, and who cares who looks? Great idea, Michele. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Haha! You always crack me up. I think we would be really great friends if you lived close. I am definitely getting some of those Muffs for my daughter next year. She gets distracted very easily. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had another idea, Janine. Muffs for Mom! Quiet time -- all the time. Somebody needs to market that. They would sell like hotcakes, especially with some chevron painted on the side. What do you think? Wanna open a business?

      Anyway, where do you live? Are we far apart?

      Delete
  9. Wow, the muffs idea is fantastic! I could have used those when I was younger! In fact, I should use them now! I'm not a mom (yet!), but I love ideas such as yours. We need to start packing our lunch for trips more often!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)