Friday, October 12, 2012

Apple Butter Recipe & The Creation Museum ~ Homeschool Mother’s Journal


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

When the older sister plays with the younger brother so you can do phonics with the first grader…
When the older brother takes the trash out ~ all the way to the curb…
When the Bigs fold laundry…
When the older sisters prepare lunch and clean it up…
When the oldest children figure their payment due on the chore chart…
When the two oldest girls peel and slice and dice apples while the oldest boy collects the peelings and wipes down the countertop…
That’s home economics.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

Our favorite field trip destination of all time ~ The Creation Museum. It’s only 90 minutes from our driveway to the museum parking lot, so we bought a five-year membership and away we go about four times each year. Our children know the exhibits nearly by heart, but they never tire of going. There is an atmosphere there, a spirit of reverence and worship, that you don’t find in other museums. Politeness abounds, and everyone smiles at each other. A woman saw me taking a picture of our children and offered to take one of all of us. “You have such a lovely family,” she told me. It’s a little taste of heaven.



I’m reading…

Beth Moore’s Breaking Free. I’ve not read Beth Moore before, so I was eager to get started when the women at our church began a Bible study. But when do I get to the part where I break free of the piles of laundry and the mocking dust bunnies and the back-breakingly-heavy vacuum? J

I’m cooking…

Apple butter. Yummo!

Home-ec for the Bigs. Bonus!


The original version of this recipe is from my Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book ~ the new cookbook my mother gave me when I was married over twenty years ago! Over the past few years of making apple butter, I’ve tweaked it here and there, so this is my modified version.

18 cups cooking apples, cored, sliced, and quartered (An apple peeler-corer-slicer makes this part somewhat less tedious than by hand.)
4-6 cups apple juice
3 cups sugar (vary depending on the tartness of your apples)
2 heaping teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice

In a large kettle, combine apples and juice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until apples are very tender, stirring occasionally.

Turn off heat. Drain off excess juice. (For me, this is 2 to 3 cups. Spice it up and enjoy some hot cider while you finish the apple butter!)

Press through a food mill or sieve, ending with about 13 cups pulp. (I don’t have a mill or a sieve, so I put my apples in the blender.)

Return pulp to kettle. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 2 hours or until very thick, stirring often. (The aroma is heavenly during this part! Sit back and sip your cider. Enjoy it with a butter cookie.)

To can, ladle the hot apple butter into hot, sterilized pint jars, leaving a ¼-inch headspace. You can either process the jars in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes or seal them in the oven

I have found that this recipe makes about six pints. I tripled it the other night and ended up with 19 pints.

Enjoy!








How was your week? Have you been to the Creation Museum? Do you make your own apple butter? I’d love to hear your thoughts.






~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~

This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.


Pin It!

27 comments:

  1. what a beautiful family! I began coordinating colors too in our recent trips. It makes it easier to find each other. :)

    I wish we lived closer to the Creation Museum. I know my kids would love to go there!! I got a daughter that goes to sleep to Jonathan Park audio files every single night. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tereza. We don't have shirts that are all exactly the same, so we match colors as best we can. Could you make a special trip to the Creation Museum? It would be worth it!

      Delete
  2. Oh how I love the making of apple butter. It is almost as therapeutic as making bread. Please consider linking this up at my end of the week feature - Its a Wrap. -Savannah www.hammocktracks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could make bread while the apple butter simmers. Then, if they are done at the same time.... :)

      Thank you so much for the invitation! I linked up and put you on my link-up page.

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful picture of your family!! I love the apple butter pics too. That looks delish! Have a lovely weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photo of your family! Visiting the Creation Museum is on my wishlist! I would love to bring my children there someday. We live outside of Philadelphia, so it would be a bit of a hike, but we'll get there someday! The apple butter looks so delicious! I am trying to plan an apple orchard trip in the next week or two. I can't wait to start making all of the delicious apple recipes. Feel free to stop by on Tuesday (actually, Monday night) to link up your recipe with my "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I'd love to have you join us! Have a great weekend! Many blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much to see and do in the greater Cincinnati area that maybe you could make a little vacation out of it. Your trip to Valley Forge looked terrific. We need to make it there some day. Thanks so much for the link-up invitation. I'll be there!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for linking up, Meghan! I hope you will join us again this week! :-)

      Delete
    3. P.S. My 8 year old daughter, upon seeing your family's beautiful photo said, "Oh, mommy, look, a mom and daughters who dress like we do!" :-)))))

      Delete
    4. Love your link-up and blog, Lisa. I'll be back. (And it never fails that we see at least one other family at The Creation Museum who dresses like we do!)

      Delete
  5. Going to the Creation Museum is on my to do list :) Love the family Photo. Beautiful. I've never tasted apple butter. Is it good ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be quite a trip from Australia, but I know Ken Ham has a fondness for Australians. :) Apple butter is our children's favorite spread for toast, English muffins, biscuits, etc. I like to make our own because most commercially produced apple butter is pumped full of high fructose corn syrup. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful picture of your family. Often mum or dad is not on the pic. Super. I also read a book by Beth Moore, about the life of David. In Dutch of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always exciting to me to see books that were originally written in English translated into other languages. That makes me wonder, Aritha, how well you know English. Your blog and FB comments are always in Dutch, but what about this comment on my blog? Did you write it in English or in Dutch and then translate? Of course, people all around the world are so much more proficient at learning other languages than we Americans. Anyway, I digress. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  7. I cannot tell you how much we love the Creation Museum. The picture of your family there is awesome. I think I'm going to have to make another batch of apple butter. I can almost smell it just looking at your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another reason we love The Creation Museum is that we always see families as large and conservative as ours. And, the staff don't look at us funny when we bring school-age children on a Friday. Ken Ham homeschooled his five children, so that philosophy permeates the ministry.

      We ended up with so many apples that we may make another batch also. Don't forget your apple cider and cookie while it simmers. Enjoy!

      Delete
  8. We live a couple hours from the Museum. Haven't been yet, but it is on our to do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could easily do it in a day, then. Take a picnic lunch and enjoy the botanical gardens as well. They have three huge picnic pavilions in the middle of the gardens. Have a terrific time!

      Delete
  9. Wow!!!! I can make apple butter without a crock pot!!!! YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND RIGHT NOW!! I am pinning this and am going to try it ASAP! and BTW, you have a very lovely family! Thank you for linking this post up. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of making apple butter in the crock pot. I hope this works well for you, Rosilind. I'd love to know how you like it. Thanks!

      Delete
  10. I love apple butter and ended up making two batches of it this fall. Mostly because the first batch had so much cinnamon it was awful :)
    We also live about 90 min from the Creation Museum we're north.
    Linked up after you at Our Simple Country Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hesitant to post this recipe because the mix of spices can be such an individual taste. Please don't hold it against me if you don't like it! :) At least maybe you'll get some cider out of it!

      Delete
  11. I haven't made any apple butter yet this year but hope too. This recipe looks yummy! My family loves the Creation Museum. We visited at Christmas last year and loved the outdoor dramas, lights, and live Nativity scene. It's one of our favorite places to to visit. We're near-neighbors at the Serving Joyfully link party. Now following you on GFC and pinterest (love your sewing board!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're planning to head back to The Creation Museum at Christmas as well. Hopefully we'll have snow this time! Thanks so much for the follow, and I'll see you on Pinterest!

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh...make bread while the applebutter simmers..the house would be in heaven. Thanks for linking up and adding me to your link up page. I hope you'll come back again this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Savannah, for the link-up opportunity. You have a great blog!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)