Friday, October 19, 2012

Children Reading to Children & Apple Pie Dump Cake ~ Homeschool Mother’s Journal


Happy Friday! How has your week been?

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

Have your child who has just mastered reading spend some time each day reading picture books to the non-readers. This benefits the new reader by giving him some more reading practice. It benefits the Littles because they get even more read-aloud time. It also benefits you as teacher because you can hear the new reader aloud and correct and praise as needed. You can also multitask and listen and grade other work or listen and help another student or listen and wash dishes or listen and fold laundry or listen and prepare lunch. 

The possibilities are endless.

Questions / thoughts I have…

Some of you may have seen my unscheduled post yesterday announcing a Lilla Rose sale this weekend. So now I’m in a quandary. Which Lilla Rose flexi clips should I get my girls for their birthdays? What about Christmas? Items sell fast during a sale, so I want to decide quickly.

What about celebrating Reformation Day with the Classic Etched Cross? What do you think? I love this one!

Just in case you didn’t get the news ~~ A Lilla Rose sale was announced yesterday (Thursday), and it runs through this Sunday, October 21. Select black-themed items are up to 15% off and all other items are 10% off.

I’m cooking…

Apple Pie Dump Cake. Easy and fast ~ my two favorite descriptions. It's called “dump” because that’s the extent of the instructions.


Ingredients:
1 can apple pie filling (mine was canned with last year’s harvest or you could make your own if you wish)
1 box yellow cake mix (if the small Jiffy brand, use 2 boxes)
2 sticks butter (my husband says real butter)

Instructions:
Spread the pie filling evenly in a 9x13 pan.
Layer the cake mix on top of the pie filling, spreading evenly. (Don’t make the cake! Just shake out the powdery mix.)
Slice the 2 sticks of butter and lay on top of the cake mix.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until top is browned.

More home ec! This is super-easy for children to make. The pie filling flavor can also be changed to your preference.


 I’m grateful for…

Potty-training! There you go, friends. That’s as real as it gets.


And a photo to share…







How was your week? Do your children read to each other? Want to try Andrew's All-Natural Hair Cream?








~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~

This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.


Pin It!

26 comments:

  1. Such cute photos of your children. : ) And the dump cake looks great...especially with your home canned apples. Bless you, Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You leave such terrific comments, Gail. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. The dump cake looks AWESOME. And the hair cream.....CLASSIC!!!! I love that! I gave you an award on my blog here: http://www.littlerandr.org/2012/10/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosilind! I'll get working on those questions, but since I already have next week's blog posts planned, it'll probably be the next week. Sounds like a fun, chain-letter kind of award!

      Delete
  3. What great post- I love listening to my kids read aloud- even better if they read to each other- that is so sweet. And some apple dump cake baking in the oven, life is good! Thanks for linking up on Photo Friday at Ladies Holiday- hope to see you next week!

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I love the theme of your link-up -- I'll definitely be there again!

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious! You can also make that cake in the crockpot - just melt the butter and mix it with the cake mix before putting it on the pie filling. Cook on low for 2-3 hours. (We have also used cherry pie filling!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even easier -- I love it! Thanks for sharing that tip, Kayla.

      Delete
  5. Love your blog! I found you through A Little R&R. Your recipe looks delish!

    I am a new follower! www.abundantjoy04.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Tonya, and thanks for the follow! Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. The cake looks so easy & yum. I make a dump cake with cherries & crushed pineapple. I'll be trying yours too. Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherries and crushed pineapple were my introduction to dump cake from my mother-in-law. We love it, especially how easy it is, and we just kept expanding the recipe from there. It's also good with homemade blueberry pie filling. Thanks, Angela!

      Delete
  7. Oh, my kingdom for homemade apple filling! We had friends who had Spy apple trees on their land in PA, and they made the most amazing applesauce. Like eating a fresh apple with a spoon. I bet your dump cake will taste amazingly delicious too. I have to admit, though, as good as the recipe looks, the photos of Andrew . . .well. . . er. . . take the cake! Thanks for the smile. Visiting from Be Not Weary today and glad I did :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's pretty adorable, isn't he? Getting upset over the baby rubbing sour cream all over his head wouldn't have helped anything, so I got out the camera instead! Thanks for visiting, Lori. Always glad to see your smiling face.

      Delete
  8. Yum! I pinned your recipe for apple dump cake! Do you know if it'll work with other fillings? Like cherry? It's so simple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works well with any pie filling -- cherry, peach, blueberry, blackberry. The original recipe calls for a can of crushed pineapple at the very bottom, under the pie filling. I left that out for the apple pie, but I have used it with cherry pie filling and it is equally delicious. It is so simple and yet so easy that I keep the ingredients on hand, just in case I need a fast dessert to take somewhere. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Stopping by to say hello from Monday Musings Blog Hop. Pinned this recipe. Love that it's easy to make! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love the dump cake--have tried it with peaches and cherries--both good, too. Love the picture of your children reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pamela. I appreciate your encouraging comments.

      Delete
  11. Looks like a yummy cake and yay for early readers!
    Today I wrote about praying my friend's son Kervens home from Haiti. I made a button to encourage others to pray. Would you consider joining us by posting the button on your blog?
    Thanks!
    http://www.suchakingdom.com/2012/10/pray-this-boy-home.html#

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Olivia. I'll check it out.

      Delete
  12. The apple cake looks delicious. I can't wait until my daughter is reading like that. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just blink -- and she'll be reading Anne of Green Gables. They grow and learn so fast!

      Delete
  13. Very good tips ... and funny, too!
    Thanks for sharing this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)