Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Imagination Station Books ~ A Wonderful Alternative to The Magic Tree House


Have you read The Magic Tree House books? Perhaps you found them wildly educational and entertaining, a combination that ensures a hit with both child and parent. But were you uncomfortable with the magic part?

Me too.

We eventually reached an uneasy compromise, agreeing that the children could read most of them with one eye open to the magic parts. We completely eliminated any with evolution and millions of years as well as any that seemed particularly magic-y or violent.  

None of us was too happy with this arrangement.

Enter Focus on the Family and Tyndale House Publishing with The Imagination Station series of books to the rescue!


If you’re familiar with Adventures in Odyssey, Focus on the Family’s audio stories for children, then you know all about the Imagination Station. If you’re not, then all you need to know is that the Imagination Station is a time machine for children invented by Mr. Whittaker, an ice cream parlor owner. In the book series, the characters are transported back into history where they live an adventure during a particular time.

Over the weekend, my two oldest girls read #8, Battle for Cannibal Island, and #9, Escape to the Hiding Place. In Battle for Cannibal Island, cousins Patrick and Beth are sent to Fiji in the 1850’s where they meet missionary James Calvert in his effort to tell the cannibals about the gospel. In Escape to the Hiding Place, Patrick and Beth find themselves in the middle of World War II with the responsibility of smuggling a Jewish baby to her mother.

Here’s what my children said.

Holly (age 12) ~ I really enjoy them because they are exciting and I learn from them because they are from all around the world. Nothing boring ever happens, and I can see myself in the story. I’m glad I get to read them first since I’m the oldest. *smirk*

Laura (age 11) ~ I really like all of them. I read them in one day because as soon as I finish a chapter, I just have to read the next chapter. I’m always disappointed when I reach the end of the book. They’re all so exciting that I can’t choose a favorite. *adorable smile*

Benjamin (age 8) ~ I wish I could go in the Imagination Station. *wistful grin*

The Imagination Station series of books has been a blessing to our family and our homeschool. They are filled with historically accurate details, exciting adventures that keep the children interested, and wonderful spiritual truths.

{And don’t tell the children, but they’re getting another one for Christmas!}










Have you read The Magic Tree House books? The Imagination Station books? Which did you like? Why?

Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with complimentary copies for the purposes of this review. All opinions are honest and my own and my children’s.



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~

This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. My 7 yr. old likes these books, too. They are more like the newer Magic Treehouse books - of a higher reading level than the original MT books. Another Magic Treehouse type book that is FREE and is great for learning about creationism is "A Day with the Dinosaurs:" http://proverbsthirtyonewoman.blogspot.com/2012/02/day-with-dinosaurs-free-ebook-for-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just downloaded your ebook, and the children are anxious to read it. Thanks, Kristina!

      Delete
  2. We have all of the Imagination Station Books too. My DD9 reads many a books a day! There is another book coming out by Christmas?? I got to get it too.

    I let my daughter read the Magic Tree house last year I think. After much discussion about all the wrong information and magic stuff in the books. The good thing is that she can discern and see what is contrary to scripture.

    Another great tool my kids love is Jonathan Park and the Brinkman Adventures. Both are audio drama and teach so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a blessing to have children who can see the right from the wrong and know that the wrong really is wrong. I'm sure there must still be some influence there, though, so we do limit. Great suggestions, too, Tereza, about Jonathan Park. My children LOVE those. Haven't heard of Brinkman Adventures. I'll have to look into those. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, thank you so much for this info! My kids love MTH and we've had several discussions about some of the material. We've also come to the agreement that they can be read with discretion and discussion. However, this does look like a GREAT alternative...I'm going to go look them up now. Thanks so much!

    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found this helpful, Sarah. Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. These sound wonderful! We do enjoy Magic Tree House (with discernment,) but these sound like they might be even bbetter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are terrific, Emily. Now Tyndale just needs to hurry up and print a whole lot more! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of either of them so I am glad that you brought them up. I love the Adventures in Odyssey radio show. I can't wait to pick these up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would be excellent read-alouds if your children aren't quite up to that reading level, Janine. Good pictures, too.

      Delete
  6. I don't have small children anymore, but these sound like books I would enjoy reading! ;)

    Mindy @ New Equus
    http://newequus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mindy! I enjoyed them. You know it's a good children's book when the adults like it too. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. I love FOTF! I had no idea they had this series - I am going to tell my sister about this. Her kids would love these books (and then I get to "inherit" them when my kids get old enough! haha! - see how that works?) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great plan, Rosilind! Thanks for all your efforts with your link-up.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)