Friday, October 26, 2012

It’s Fall, But Christmas Is Coming ~ Homeschool Mother’s Journal


Did you have a super week?

This week ~~

I’m grateful for…

Mums on clearance! Why not decorate your back patio, a place that you and your family look out on all day long?  


As happens in life, I procrastinated the purchase of mums. But it paid off, literally, and I got the little mums for 50c and the larger mums for $1.23. As my mother used to tell me, every little bit counts. {Maybe it would look better if I peeled off the clearance stickers?}


I am inspired by…

The Declaration of Independence. To help my fourth grader memorize the beginning of the Declaration, I was explaining to him the meaning of the different phrases. I was struck ~ again! ~ by the beauty of the language and the clarity of the beliefs our Founding Fathers set forth during one of the most incredible periods of history.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal…

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed…

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security…

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

As my children have learned about the War for Independence, I've learned that our revolution set in motion revolutions across the globe as courage spread and took root and grew.


My favorite thing this week was…

Hearing Christmas songs during piano practice. My husband is adamant that the Christmas season does not begin until after a proper celebration of Thanksgiving. Although we kid him a bit about this, we do generally agree that anticipation is half the enjoyment. If we begin listening to Christmas music and watching our Christmas movies in October, we’re afraid we’ll be tired of it all by Christmas Day. However, we do get a sneak peek of Christmas music through piano practice. This week, my oldest has been playing around J to decide what she might want to play in church during December. We’ve heard “Carol of the Bells”, “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”, “Silent Night”, “O Little Town of Bethlehem”, “Hark, The Herald Angels Sing”, and “Jingle Bells”. Obviously, Jingle Bells is not for church, but it’s fun to play. {Merry Christmas!}


I’m cooking…

Chili Nacho Casserole. All six children cleaned their plates, so it’s our new family favorite. It’s easy enough that the children can make it also. My friend Denise at Denise in Bloom posted the recipe over the weekend, and we tried it immediately. It’s simply layers of chili, tortilla chips, and shredded cheese, baked until it’s all gooey and the cheese is browned. Yummo!


A photo to share…


I shared this picture on Facebook a week ago when my three-year-old decided the fall decorations needed a little something more. I’m still smiling about it.







What was your favorite thing this week? What are you cooking, literally or figuratively? J






~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~

This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up at HammockTracks. That Nacho dish sounds very kid friendly. I'll have to head over there and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also on my Pinterest board if it's easier for you to find it there. Thanks, Savannah.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful mums and love the price, too! I think I missed buying some and hope to find some this week before some company arrives.

    Chili Nacho Casserole sounds divine. I will have took up your recipe.

    Your blog is beautiful, too!

    Abundant blessings on your upcoming week,
    ~The Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mrs.! I've never bought mums before, but apparently this is the time. Many blessings to you, too.

      Delete
  3. what a great post! I love what you had to say about the Declaration of Independence and the revolution (it actually made me choke up a bit - nah, I'm not patriotic or anything, right? *grin*). Totally checking out that recipe because I helped my husband become addicted to Mexican food. He loves it! And those Thanksgiving decorations....CLASSIC! Love the Spider Man. :) Thanks for linking up! I always love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed that my son's study of the Declaration was a rather perfect timing with the presidential election coming up. Hope you still got your vote in! Thanks so much for your encouraging words, Rosilind.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)