Monday, October 1, 2012

Ten Must-Have Fall Decorations


Happy October!

If you enjoy the feeling of anticipation, then October may be your favorite month of the year. There is so much to look forward in the coming months ~ the invigorating nip of jacket weather, brilliant fall color, abundant harvest, giving thanks, hot apple cider stirred with a cinnamon stick. Soon (but not too soon!) we’ll be pulling out Christmas decorations and listening to music that praises the birth of our Savior. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

See? The anticipation!
Here are some suggestions for decorations to brighten your home during this harvest season.

Pumpkins. Real, gloriously orange, sometimes lopsided pumpkins. On your front porch, around your fireplace, on your table or buffet.
Hand-made construction paper creations. Whether your children construct masterpieces in their homeschool or at Christian or public school, fall is a great time for “Welcome Fall” banners, orange-red-yellow construction paper chains, and handprint turkeys. If you don’t have children at home, perhaps a niece, nephew, or grandchild can make something special for you.
Garland. It’s interesting that I would write a post about decorating because I don’t have that knack. However, what I lack in design, I make up in enthusiasm. Thus, my solution for a lot of decorating dilemmas is a garland since it can be draped or laid just about anywhere. I bought (on an after-season sale!) a garland full of fall leaves, small pumpkins, berries, and gourds. I lay that on my mantle.
White lights. White lights can, quite literally, brighten any space. I buy several boxes of 100-light strands on after-Christmas sales because they have a tendency to go out during the year. I wrap a strand of white lights around the garland on the mantle. It provides sparkle and romance on those long fall evenings!
Dishes. A table set with attractive dishware is an invitation to a feast. Since our focus this season is on thankfulness for God’s provision, it seems particularly appropriate to decorate a table. Sadly, I don’t have fall dishes. Do you have any suggestions for convincing my husband? Please leave them in the comments. J
Scripture. On your dishes, on your walls, on those construction paper creations. Surround yourself with verses about thanksgiving.
Subway art. My daughter created this. We placed it in a simple wood frame, and it now sits on our piano.


Placemats and table runner. Or a tablecloth if you prefer. A few years ago, I found fall fabric printed with verses about thankfulness and harvest. I added an accent of orange and yellow and made our table linens.
Candles. In the past, I’ve inserted jar candles among the white lights and garland on the mantle. And of course, a table isn't complete without candlelight. This year, thanks to some bloggy inspiration, my daughters and I are painting jars to use with tea lite candles. In fact, I bought a few jars of fruit spread recently with the intention of repurposing the jars! The flicker and warmth of a few candles just add to the sparkle and romance of the white lights.
An attitude of gratitude. Don’t forget to adorn yourself this fall with a spirit of thanksgiving to God for His blessings.









There are so many decorating options that I couldn’t include them all in a list of ten. What are some of your favorite fall decorations?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~

This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I am not a decorator at all, so pumpkins and leaves are easy for me. :) I never thought of the lights though, that sounds so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the white lights. They would make a good nightlight for children also. I think everyone is getting the same idea, though, because last year I couldn't find them on after-Christmas sales! Enjoy your fall decorating, and thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. I love fall and fall decorations. The subway print is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably get a lot of great fall color way up north. Enjoy each moment, and thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your fall ideas. Fall is my favorite season and I love to decorate to celebrate it. You've given me some ideas. Cutest subway art ever! I didn't want to put a lot of money into fall dishes but my others just didn't work with fall. I found some at the dollar store (don't laugh) and they just make me happy. $24.00 for twelve plates and leaf goblets. I already have several cloth napkin sets in fall colors. Add some candles and any imperfections in the plates are masked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't laugh, Pamela. Whatever works. I don't care where the dishes come from as long as they stand up to use and look nice. And what a price! My husband would go for that! Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  4. I love fall. Seriously, I live for it all summer (mostly kidding there, but I really do look forward to it.) Thanks for the tips for decorating, and thanks for sharing at Thriving Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for starting the link-up, Crystal. I'm excited to see how it grows for you!

      Delete
  5. Meghan...excellent suggestion! I have a couple of rubbermaids I keep with my autumn decorations and sometimes I add something new. Thank you for sharing at WJIM this week. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi, I have a storage tub for fall decorations, but I'm to the point now where I need to eliminate something if I bring in something new. Thanks for the link-up, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. I need to get a table runner! I just haven't found one I like and i've been looking for 6 years! lol. Thanks for sharing atMom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the hardest time finding table linens that are just right -- maybe I'm too hard to please? But then the cost is also prohibitive. So I made my own placemats and table runner. The fabric stores usually have tons of great seasonal fabrics. I know I say it every time, but thanks for the link-up!

      Delete
  7. I would like to do a garland with a white twinkly light strand down the center of my table, but haven't figured out how to place the cord where it won't trip someone. Good ideas, and I need to get busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds beautiful! Are there twinkle lights that could run off a battery pack tucked under the garland? I don't know if that's even an option, but I would start with Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Enjoy your decorating, Jacqueline, and thanks for the great idea. (If you figure it out, I'd love to know.)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)