Monday, October 29, 2012

Ten Things I’m Older Than ~ A Birthday Post


Does it ever seem to you like the world is changing and spinning past at a dizzying pace?

Do you ever look back and realize how life has changed since you were a child? I’m not talking about the physical change of growing up or the life changes of getting married, having children or grandchildren, or moving.

The world around us is constantly changing with new ideas, inventions, traditions. Our world today is not the same place it was thirty years ago, twenty years ago, or even ten years ago. It’s exhilarating and depressing at the same time.


I was reminded of this by the above Facebook post last week. And since I just recently celebrated yet another anniversary of my 39th birthday, I thought it might be an opportune time to have another piece of chocolate cheesecake and chronicle ten things that have become old hat in my brief lifetime.
  1. The internet. When I was in school, research was done at the library with actual books. If I couldn’t find the answer there or by asking a real live person, then the question must not have been that important. I’ll also lump into this category blogging, Facebook, chatting, and Twitter, just to name a few. When I wanted to communicate with my friends in high school, we either passed notes in the hallway or called each other on the phone…the kind with a cord.
  2. Atari. It was big doings in our home when we first installed video games, at least for my brother. I couldn’t see the attraction in watching a white ball bounce back and forth across a black screen. Actually, some things don’t change. I still don’t see the point in video games.
  3. Microwaves. It was more big doings when we were the first in the neighborhood to get our very own microwave oven. In my research I discovered that it took many, many years to get microwaves small enough and affordable enough for them to catch on with the general public.
  4. The VCR. Can you even buy a VCR now? Or do you have to go to the Smithsonian to see one?
  5. Seat belt laws. Oh yeah. The good ole days of sitting on Mom’s lap in the front seat and lying up in the back window of the Buick. *insert facetious chuckle* Actually, I’m glad for seat belt laws. Being a free agent in a car driven by my mom was an exercise in anxiety.
  6. Minivans. Remember the family station wagon – a two-toned faux wood and green eyesore? Maybe I am glad to be older. I can’t imagine trying to fit six children in a station wagon.
  7. Cassette tapes. Technically, cassette tapes became available to the general public in the mid-1960s, so I am not older than cassette tapes. However, when I was a child, our primary source of music was the record player and, yes, eight-track tapes. It wasn’t until I was in middle school that cassette tapes became popular.
  8. Floppy discs – any size. ‘Nuff said.
  9. Car phones. When my husband and I were shopping for our first home, our realtor had a phone fastened to the floor of her car with a long curly cord. We were so amazed at the technology that we were probably quite rude in our staring.
  10. Remote control television sets. We don’t have broadcast television now, just a DVD player, but we still have two large remote controls. When I was in grade school, one of my responsibilities was to get up and change the channel as needed. As I forced the large knob to turn, it would emit a loud clicking sound.


Whether this progress is wonderful or horrible is beyond the scope of this post. There is one thing I’m sure of, though, no matter how the world changes or how many 39th birthdays I have. “’I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,’ says the Lord, ‘who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.’” (Revelation 1:8)






What have you seen change in your lifetime? Are you finding your security in the Lord?





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~

This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.


Pin It!

19 comments:

  1. I have a ton of VHS tapes from when I was a kid, but my VCR broke. When I went to buy a new one to replace it, I got strange looks at every store I went to. Apparently, no one sells them anymore.
    Funny list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E-bay, maybe? Goodwill? Were the strange looks from the teenagers at the electronics counter? :) Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  2. You made me smile, happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids have been amazed to learn how many things I'm older than! They're counting up the things that they are older than, though... such as DVDs and iPhones! Happy birthday!

    (My kids are especially surprised how many things I'm older than when I celebrate my 27th birthday... each year. In fact, this next birthday will be the 23rd time!)

    Found you over on Titus 2sday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing just what has changed in my almost-thirteen-year-old's life. Will it ever slow down?

      Happy 27th birthday, Suzanne! (Love that!) So glad you visited.

      Delete
  4. Love it!!! I am older than a lot of these things, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun but difficult to write, know what I mean? Thanks, Rosilind.

      Delete
  5. Yup, Meghan, I'm right there with you. And I'd add a few -- velcro (remember when learning to tie your shoes was part of kindergarten?), dry erase boards (can you say CHALk?), curling irons (say, hot rollers), drive through windows, and ATMs. I could go on, but I'm feeling arthritis settling in . . . creak! Happy Birthday from BE Not Weary today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several good additions, Lori. I definitely remember inhaling all of that chalk dust at the board. And I remember, as a very little child, going to Steak-n-Shake where they still had curbside service. The waitress would bring out a funny looking tray that would rest on the partially-rolled-down window. I would sit in the back seat, munch on my steakburger, and stare at that funny tray. Thanks for the birthday wishes, and I'm trying not to be weary! *sigh*

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday, that's actually fascinating

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Hope your birthday was great. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol! So funny. Happy Birthday! I hope you had a good one. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part was the nap! Thanks, Janine.

      Delete
  9. Newest follower here! I found you through the Tuesday blog hop. Cute blog!
    -Melanie

    P.S. I’m doing a $50 Shabby Apple giveaway on my blog. You should check it out here: http://meandmr.com/post/35113285949/shabby-apple-50-giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following, Melanie. Glad you have you here!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)