Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Pumpkin-Colored Journal of Thanksgiving


She readjusted her glasses and tucked a few strands of gray hair behind her ear, settling into the sofa for a few minutes rest. Her husband had been up before dawn to put the turkey on, despite the pain in his knees as he rose from the bed. Now she saw him lift the lid of the crock pot with a hand gnarled by arthritis and inhale deeply of the aroma. A smile graced his face, and she knew he was thinking of the six adult children and their spouses as well as the twelve grandchildren who would fill the house with their love and laughter in just a few hours.

From the side table, she picked up a pumpkin-colored journal and ran her hand over the worn cover. She had memorized almost all of the contents. I’m thankful for all our books, written in a ten-year-old’s careful cursive. I’m thankful for such good sisters and brothers, in a third-grader’s printing. Warm beds, just the phrase in the youngest boy’s scrawl.
She lifted a mug of hot apple cider to her lips, inhaling the sweet aroma. She opened to the first page to look again at the date. It had been started even before her youngest had been born, the one who was now over thirty and bringing little ones of his own. She closed her eyes, remembering Thanksgivings of a table filled with tow-headed children, eagerly bubbling their thanks, ceramic Pilgrims and Indians and pumpkins standing guard over the family. Soon, her table would be filled again, and they would pray, thanking the Almighty God for their lives, their faith, and their family.
She retrieved a pencil stub from the side drawer and, in shaky hand, began to write in a meticulous script. I’m thankful for another Thanksgiving….



Why not start a journal of thanksgiving this year? Pick one that’s pumpkin-colored or decorate one yourself. Every year, on Thanksgiving Day, have each member of the family write at least five things for which they are thankful. Then, the next year, read through previous years’ thanks and add to the list. You’ll be creating a memento to cherish, a legacy of thankfulness to pass down through the generations.

I’ll be praying for a blessed Thanksgiving for you.








Do you keep a remembrance of thanksgiving? How?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose


Pin It!

32 comments:

  1. What a great idea having a thanksgiving journal. A way to keep memories alive! Have a Happy Thanks Giving!

    Candice
    lillythroughthevalley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you separate the words in Thanks Giving. It makes me think of the meaning more than the turkey! Thanks for visiting, Candice, and have a happy Thanks Giving as well.

      Delete
  2. your story here breathes life into the act of living thanks.
    years and memories fade, but not so quickly if we jot them down, eh?
    nice to meet you --stopped by from GDWJ's link. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we write down the memories, we get to relive them again and again -- when we write them and later when we read them. Thanks so much for visiting, Kelli.

      Delete
  3. Hi there! I was on A Wise Woman Builds Her Home linky party when I came across your lovely blog. Thank you for sharing this delightful idea of a Thanksgiving journal - I think I will have to do this with my husband and son. I am now following you and I look forward to future visits. Blessings to you, Sister in Christ! Have a lovely day!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    www.theenchantingrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by your blog, Stephanie, I'm sure you could make the journal more pretty than I did! Thank you for visiting and for following, and many blessings to you during this holiday season.

      Delete
  4. Such a story. Your heart oozes with thankfulness and goodness! Thank you for sharing in community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness, Jennifer, and your work in putting together a terrific link-up.

      Delete
  5. Hey there Meghan! how are you? I've have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award, why don't check today's post to know what is all about! :) remain blessed! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! Rosilind from A Little R&R also awarded it to me, so I probably ought to get to it soon! Many blessings to you, and I'm honored you would think of me.

      Delete
  6. This was beautiful. So many things I wish I had known to do. Now I feel too late as my kids are grown and gone. But I will share with them.
    Thank you for sharing this. I loved it.
    Have a beautiful Friday,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not necessarily too late to start one, Sherry. You could write in it each year as well as your grown children. Every year you make new memories. Thanks so much for visiting, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  7. Great idea! I really need to start a book of what the little one's say too. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started books like that when I only had two children and just can't keep up with them anymore. I love that idea, though, and I've thought of just keeping a log on the computer, since I can type a lot faster than I can write by hand. Go for it, Janine!

      Delete
  8. I love that you do this! We have a box that my family and I decorated several years ago and each THanksgiving we add something to it that represents what we're thankful for. In this way it is kind of like a time capsul. Thanks for linking up on Ladies Holiday this week! Happy weekend and we hope to see you next week. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be so fun to open up in another couple of decades. Great idea, and thanks for hosting a terrific link-up!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely idea, Meghan! Thanks so much for sharing this with the Thrive @ Home community.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. So glad you visited today!

      Delete
  11. What a great home made book of gratitude - I love it! What a precious gift and legacy.

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to say it, Marissa. Leaving a legacy of thankfulness.

      Delete
  12. Meghan, you have a way with words! I love this, it brought tears to my eyes and gave me inspiration to start a book for my family to add to each year. What a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal. I've also found that it's a great way to record how the children's handwriting changes from year to year. You'll have to write for your youngest, but your oldest might be able to do his own, or at least his name. Enjoy, and have a terrific Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  13. Once again - you brought me to tears. You have such a lovely way with words!! I love this idea. I think I will start it this year!!! I always get together with my sister and her family, so we can all start filling it up every year. Thank you for a lovely idea! And thank you for linking up each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosilind. Your idea of adding extended family will make it even better!

      Delete
  14. Grateful I am....and our thanks is something worth recording in a journal and in our hearts. Great post and great family tradition idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you visited, Becky. Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  15. I love this idea! What an amazing tradition and legacy. Blessings to you this Thanksgiving season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy those moments, Andee, and have a terrific and blessed Thanksgiving! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  16. Great idea Meghan! It could be a journal you keep year round as well. Thank you for sharing your idea at WJIM. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to admit that I haven't read it, but I think Ann Voskamp in One Thousand Gifts suggests something like this but all the time. It would be a great way to stay focused on the positive, wouldn't it? Thanks, Naomi.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)