Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Our Favorite Christmas Read-Aloud ~ An Angel’s Story


Have you ever really thought about the spiritual battle that may have – must have – surrounded the conception and birth of Christ?

Angels and demons.

Light and dark.

Swords and scabbards.

Truth and lies.

Would Satan try to stop the conception and birth of Christ? Why wouldn’t he?


Max Lucado, in a tiny book titled An Angel’s Story, describes his vision of the cosmic war that probably surrounded Christmas Day and The Event that we celebrate with gifts and carols and candle light. Legions of angels protect the vial that Gabriel is carrying to Mary. Swords are brandished and lies revealed as the angels Sophio and Aegus and Paragon battle not only with demons but Lucifer himself as they protect Mary and the baby on the way to Bethlehem.

It is an amazing and vivid telling of the Christmas story from a viewpoint I had never thought about before.

Since we’re always on the lookout for a new family tradition, we immediately knew we had found one in this book.

We have always enjoyed special Christmas readings for the month of December in our family devotion times, but it has usually consisted of poems. A couple of years ago, though, we discovered An Angel’s Story. Now, the week before Christmas, we read one chapter each evening. Only one chapter, despite the children’s begging.

Isn’t it wonderful when the children beg for more read-aloud time?

The entire book is only about 70 pages, so it doesn’t keep the children up late. This tradition has become our favorite, setting the tone for Christmas Day, drawing our hearts to the Person we celebrate with awe, reverence, and goose-bumps. 

Above all, I pray that my children will learn this lesson: “I could not comprehend God’s plan, but my understanding was not essential. My obedience was.” (p. 17)








Have you read An Angel’s Story? What are your favorite family Christmas read-alouds?


{This post originally appeared 12/21/2011. It has been slightly modified since then.}



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose http://christianmommyblogger.com


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Our favorite read aloud has been The Christmas Miracle of Jonathon Toomey. I cry every time we read it. :) An Angel's Story sounds like something we would really enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I know that one. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion, Kayla, and have a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  2. I will have to go pick that one up! My daughter is only 9 months old now, but I so looking forward to the things we will do in the future. I love One Wintry Night by Ruth Bell Graham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that one but never read it. Thanks for the suggestion. Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Wow! That sounds like a really good book! Certain things in my life have really opened my eyes to the spiritual warfare that goes on all around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bible speaks of angels and demons, so I don't know why we would think that they were just for Bible times and not today. But I had never pictured it that vividly until I read Christian fiction. It certainly made me appreciate even more the sacrifice of Mary and Joseph. Have a terrific Christmas!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)