Friday, December 7, 2012

The Week Where I Get a Night Out ~ And Bigs Helping Littles

~~~~~
If you are hopping over here from my guest post at A Virtuous Woman, welcome! I blog three times each week about mothering, wife-ing, homemaking, and homeschooling. Today, and every Friday, I post tips, ideas, and notes from the week about homeschooling and mothering. My prayer for you is that you will find encouragement and acceptance ~ and maybe a challenge ~ here. If you’d like to stay in touch, I invite you to receive updates via email or follow this blog. Of course, there’s always Facebook and Pinterest. Thanks so much, and I look forward to getting to know you!

If you’re a regular reader here, I’m guest posting on A Virtuous Woman today with my apple butter recipe.
~~~~~

Happy Friday!


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

Harness the power of your Bigs! Older children can be an amazing help in occupying the younger children, freeing up Mama to work with the middle age children.


While I’m working on phonics with the six-year-old, my thirteen-year-old takes the almost-two-year-old and the almost-four-year-old to their bedroom for a snack party. Sometimes she’ll sing the ABC song with them or read books, but this week it was pretzels on play dishes and real water in play cups.


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

It’s not we, it’s just me. But even stay-at-home teacher moms need a night out once in a while. Can I get an amen? Our church has an annual Christmas ladies meeting with copious amounts of food, a special speaker, and general merriment. It’s my version of the office Christmas party, only way better because it’s with like-minded ladies, an encouraging devotional, and an ornament exchange. 



Watch out if you get an ornament you like. Better hide it!


I’m reading…

Favorite Christmas children’s books that have been packed away for over ten months. After that long, they’re like new again. I love seeing the children spread on the sofas absorbed in the Christmas books.

This week, we’ve read aloud The Promise by Ted Dekker. (I’ve not read his adult work, so I’m not endorsing him in general. The Promise is a little intense, and it’s of more interest to our Bigs.) Set in ancient Israel around the time of Christ’s birth, it’s the story of a mute boy who suffers cruelties at the hands of tribe members. He clings to his deceased mother’s shawl and her promise that someday he will have a voice given by a king.

A lighter read the Littles like is If You Take a Mouse to the Movies by the incredible team of Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond.


I’m cooking…

Homemade caramels…. But you’ll have to come back on Monday for the recipe! It’s my list of ten. J
If you want a sneak peek, they're in the picture of the food table above.


I’m praying that…

My children will grow closer to Jesus this Christmas.


A photo to share…


Doesn’t that face just make you smile?








Do your Bigs help with the Littles so that you can work with the Inbetweens?

Does your church have a Christmas ladies’ meeting? What is it like?





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. That picture is so cute. I totally agree about harnessing the power of the bigs. I have only one big, (but I have only one little)she is my biggest help. Hopping over from a Homeschool Mother's Journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly. Love your profile picture!

      Delete
  2. What a great help your older daughter is! And they look like they were having so much fun with her. Sometimes my oldest son teaches his younger siblings. A very beneficial thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have a good time together, and it's so helpful for both the youngest and the oldest. Great for sibling togetherness as well!

      Delete
  3. Hi Meghan! Visiting today from Womanhood with Purpose. You have a lovely space here... appreciate how you share what you're up to over the week and encourage other moms. Amen to mama time, too ;) Please feel free to link up to our heart&home link party every Tues-Sun at http://www.mercyinkblog.com too :)
    have a great weekend!
    lauren
    {mercy ink}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invitation, Lauren. I'm your newest email subscriber. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm visiting from iHomeschool Network. I can't wait to take a visit around your blog. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you here. I love the name of your blog! Many blessings to you and have a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE that table! Our homeschool mom's group Christmas Party and gift exchange is this coming week! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great time out, Shelly! So glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  6. Man, does your daughter look like you, or what?! Little ditto there! and that last picture is classic. Well, I can't say my "big" 35 month old actually takes care of my little 13 month old...but he does good at entertaining him...which has been making my life somewhat easier lately. And Z and I DID get out on Tuesday...for the first time in 4 months. Don't ask me how long it's been since I haven't had a GNO (mainly because I've lost count...but its okay....I'm so loopy I don't notice any longer. LOL!!!!) I can't wait to see your caramel recipe!! I'll be watching for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the children look a lot alike, which I think is super cool since I'm adopted and grew up without looking like anyone. Everyone seems to think that two children are harder than just one, but I found that by the time they reached the age of yours, the 3yo was so amusing to the 1yo that it freed me up a bit, as long as both were safe and within my sight. When I commented on this to my mom one time, she wasn't surprised. "Sure," she said, "she has another little people face to look at." Babies are drawn to babies and little children, in books, in movies, in other shopping carts at the grocery store. Well, now I've gone into a long reply, all just to say that you said it just right. The older entertains the younger at all ages. :)

      Delete
  7. Meghan, Thanks for linking up and please know that your posts always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)