Friday, December 14, 2012

When Life Feels Impossible ~ Homeschooling with a Hurting Heart


{I had a hard time deciding on a title because although Friday’s posts are primarily about homeschooling, these thoughts apply to mothers of public school or Christian school children, women without any children, grandmothers, etc.}


In my life this week…

I try hard to be upbeat on my blog. I’m not artificial, but I do focus on the positive side of life. You all don’t need me to drag you down, and I certainly don’t need more gloom as I write. But I cannot escape the fact that this week has been difficult emotionally.
Some persons have expectations of me that I cannot fulfill if I do the will of God. Those persons don’t understand or accept this and have been and continue to be quite unpleasant. I have done everything that I can and I try to keep the peace as much as is humanly possible. Much prayer has been lifted up. Many tissues have been soaked with tears. (I simply cannot give detail or reveal just how unpleasant this is for me. Please understand that this vagueness is part of doing the will of God.) Submission to my husband is my saving grace in this. He is my shelter.


In our homeschool this week…

As you can imagine, situations such as this can affect our marriages and our parenting, our two most important responsibilities. So how do we handle hurt, especially as it affects our homeschool? I’ve come up with several ways that help pull me out of the pit and sharpen my focus.

Slow down. I don’t need to do it all. In fact, doing it all only increases the stress. Cover the basics and don’t worry about the rest. (I can’t tell you what your basics are, but you’ll know.) My children get much more benefit from a calm and focused mother and teacher than from a harried yet detailed analysis of the three different kinds of rocks complete with a papier mache art project. We’ll get to the rocks next week.

Read the Bible a little more. I like the Psalms. David endured some incredible hurts and still praised and relied on the Lord through his trials. I also like Philippians. Just thinking of Paul sitting in prison and still so filled with joy gives me goosebumps.

Pray a little more. Or a lot more. When tears come, cry to the Lord.

Remember to enjoy the little things. The smile of your toddler. The warmth of a hot mug of cappuccino. The hug of your 11-year-old. The coziness of a quilt. The beauty of the sunrise. The snuggle on the couch for read-aloud time.

Plan some fun time with your family. Take a drive to look at Christmas lights. Go to the zoo or the children’s museum or just out to eat, whatever your budget can afford. Have a pizza and movie night. Tickle. Chase. Laugh.

Listen to music. Christmas is a wonderful time to crank up the stereo and flood your soul with the glory of a God who came to us in human form.

Lighten up. Don’t take the little things so seriously. The seriousness of this post may seem odd after Wednesday’s post about how my homemade scarf didn’t turn out just like I wanted. I wrote that post with the purpose of not only encouraging you that you don’t have to be a Pinterest queen but also to keep myself from feeling like a failure.

I’ve been intentionally doing all of these things this week, and it has made a huge difference.


Questions/thoughts I have…

I had an epiphany, one I’ve had before and I’m sure I’ll have again and again. Each time it floods relief into my soul. Fretting only continues to allow the other persons to hold sway over me and my family. I continue to grieve every day for what cannot be right now, but I ought not let it color my healthy relationships. My children and my husband benefit from a fully engaged mommy, teacher, and wife.

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” ~ Matthew 6:33-34


I’m reading…

Psalm 56. I haven’t read in Psalms for a few weeks, but the burgundy ribbon was at Psalm 56.

“You number my wanderings;
Put my tears into Your bottle;
Are they not in Your book?
In God (I will praise His word),
In the Lord (I will praise His word),
In God I have put my trust;
I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?” (v. 8, 10-11)


A photo to share…


Counting my blessings ~ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.








What do you do when life feels impossible? How do you homeschool with a hurting heart?






~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose http://christianmommyblogger.com


Pin It!

28 comments:

  1. What a wonderful family you have! As I go through some difficult things in my life, I also have found great comfort in the Psalms. Some of them seem to mirror what's in my heart! God's Word is amazing. :)

    Found you via Faith Filled Friday and am following :)

    ahumblebumble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get goosebumps when I read the Psalms. There's something there for every situation. Thanks so much for your kind words about our family, and so glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  2. Oh, we've had a challenging week too! :( So sorry to read that you also have been having one! Everything works out as it should in time, but I understand it can be frustrating in the meantime. Hang in there!

    Due to feeling overwhelmed this week, we have had a LIGHT homeschooling week, focusing more on reading, a few odds and ends, baking (to give goodies to others), getting the house cleaned up, and playing outside. Sometimes you just gotta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's hard to see that this, too, shall pass. But you're right, everything will work out in time. Thank you for your encouragement. I so enjoy reading your comments every Friday!

      Delete
  3. You aren't alone in having a trying time this week- from friends, to the news stories to myself it seems we are all being tested and I applaud you for turning to faith and creating a toolbox (those are great points- slow down, love your kids! great things to remember and practice!) You have a beautifully smiling family. Thank you for linking up on the Photo Friday Blog Hop- we hope to see you next week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wrote this post on Monday and Tuesday and then finalized it on Thursday, so it's a little eerie that this would be my theme for today when those horrible shootings happened. Thank you so much for your kind words, and thanks for the link-up.

      Delete
  4. I will keep you in prayer during this time. I hope that you will be able to find peace and that you will feel God's comforting presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Penny. Life is better this evening -- I know you ladies are praying!

      Delete
  5. That last photo and a lot of prayer should get you through this difficult time. I will be thinking and praying for your peace this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could have repeated "Pray more" throughout the list. That's really the key. I'm grateful for your prayers, Phyllis.

      Delete
  6. I can imagine how hard it would be to go on for some people right now. I cannot imagine what it would feel like to have a whole in your heart that can never be filled, at least on earth. However, it is in these times that we can strengthen our resolve. We can also try to mentally prepare for those tragic times in our lives. You have listed great tips and your post is encouraging to hear! Thanks for sharing Meghan! I always enjoy reading about your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it that way, Janine. You have such a great way with words. But yes, we can mentally prepares for tragic times that we know will come. It's just a matter of time. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, WHEN you face trials...." James 1:2 So glad you commented today.

      Delete
  7. oh so difficult! I try my best to keep moving forward following Jesus' call on my life. That's really all that matters to me. My heart just desires to please the Lord and not men. In general relationships are hard but when they have unrealistic expectations added or have strings (so to speak) attached its more burdensome. Prayerfully it will all come to a resolve soon. But look at the bright side... you are drawing closer to the Lord through this trial and you are right now being made to be more like Him. (ok, you may not think its a bright side now but later you will.) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith...." Yes, doing the Lord's will, no matter what others might say. Thank you for your encouragement! I'll be re-reading these comments in the days to come.

      Delete
  8. What a great post! I always need that reminder that it is okay to focus on just the basics sometimes when I just feel too overwhelmed to do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially this time of year when so much is vying for our attention! Thanks, Leah, and have a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for this article! It was so timely. I'm a grandmother and though my broken heart is not about homeschooling, it is about something else and it spoke to me deeply. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was encouraging to you, Tina. Praying for you....

      Delete
  10. Encouraging post, slowing down is always good so we can get our mind refocussed on the main priorities in our life. The word says, "Obedience is better than sacrifice." We may have to suffer a bit, but in the end as long as we are in God's will the sacrifice will eventually become sweet. I'll be holding you up in my prayers along with all of these other wonderful ladies. There is power in prayer. Just hold on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read that the other day! Thank you so much for leaving an encouraging comment, Traci, and thanks for your prayers.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for this encouragement. Sometimes it's so important to just slow down and breath, and take a few moments to count blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, as "they" say, there's no time like the present. Thanks for commenting, Rose.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for this helpful post - I hope that your heart is lighter today and you have His peace and Joy in abundance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much lighter now, and thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  13. I have been thinking about your question ("How do you homeschool with a hurting heart"?) since you posted it.... Great question!

    I/we have been homeschooling with hurting hearts for about 4 years now. Our lives completely changed about then, and we've had such struggles (health-related but also heart-hurting) for 4 years that they sound unbelievable. (Half-smile, with pain and yet with amazement at what God has brought us through so far and what astounding good He has brought from it all.)

    The main answer I could come up with is "through the grace of God." Secondarily, it would be through "dealing with" the hurt. One main way I "deal with the hurt" is the same as you mentioned--reading the Psalms!!! Another way is writing/journaling. Another way is talking things through with my husband. Of course another way is praying and letting the Lord minister to me.

    BTW, my favorite color is lavender; your website is beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've found such wonderful ways to work through the difficulties of life, Christa. It doesn't eliminate the pain, but it does make it more bearable. The more I read the Psalms, the more I am amazed that there truly is something in there for every situation. Even just one verse can speak peace into our hearts. Thanks for your encouragement, and I'm praying for peace and grace for you.

      Delete
    2. Yes--more bearable! Thank you for your prayers!!! It is such a blessing that a total stranger would pray for me. But actually, we are not total strangers, are we? We are sisters in the Lord (and fellow homeschooling mums :) ). God bless you as you continue your homeschooling, lovely blog/ministry, etc.

      Delete
    3. Yes, Christa, sisters in Christ. I'm glad to read your good report!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)