Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Not Exactly SuperCrafter to the Rescue ~ Make Your Own Scarf

There’s just something about Christmas that makes us feel crafty, like we’re SuperCrafter. Faster than drying craft paint, more powerful than mod podge, able to stitch a stocking in a single sitting!


So, we rifle through our closets, desperate for something flattering to wear to the ladies’ Christmas soiree at church. We might find a cardigan that fits all right and a skirt that seems to match. It’ll do, but we’d like something that makes it all pop.

Since we’re SuperCrafter, we decide to make our own scarf! *flexing those crafting muscles*
Well, that sounds good, but here’s how it happened in real life.

In looking for fabric for my daughter’s tee-shirt project, I found a length of fabric that I just could not remember buying. I can best describe it as a heavier homespun. Perhaps some of you who know fabric can leave a comment with a more accurate name for it.  I had already decided to wear a red cardigan with a white mock turtleneck and a black skirt. This fabric with its’ red and green check and a bit of black running through it would add a bit of Christmas pizzazz and pull the cardigan and skirt together. That was my hope, at least.

I cut off the uneven strip and then cut the remaining piece into two equal lengths. These pieces turned out to be approximately 6” by 38”.


I stitched the ends together to make one long piece. To hide the seam allowance and just because I like the name, I made a flat felled seam. I made the first seam ¾ of an inch to make sure I had enough to work with and then opened the seam and rolled the seam allowance into a seam.


Next, I put in a tiny rolled seam along each long edge. With the busyness of the check pattern, it turned out to be almost invisible.

I wanted to cut the ends into strips and then knot the strips, but the fabric is a loose weave and it kept tearing. Plus, the frayed ends kept shedding. I didn’t want bits of thread all over my black skirt.

So, I just stitched another tiny rolled seam in the ends.

Naturally, I finished off the look with the Lilla Rose Festive Poinsettia flexi clip


In the end, I guess I just ended up with a hemmed rectangle of fabric. I’m not exactly SuperCrafter, and this certainly isn’t one of those posts that will go viral. J But I hope it’s encouraging to you to try something new.

And the ladies at our Christmas soiree seemed to like it. At least they agreed that I did not look like I was wearing the tablecloth….

Happy sewing!








Have you made your own scarf? How did it turn out? Can you share any tips? (I know I could use them!)




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose


Pin It!

22 comments:

  1. Meghan,
    My girls and I were just talking about making scarves out of material. Since we usually crochet them, we decided the material would be a nice change. :)
    Hope your week is wonderful so far.
    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crocheting is hard! If you can do that, this would be a piece of cake, Lisa. Thanks for your kind comment, and many blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. I'll searching my sewing machine :-) years not sewn but this is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went for many years without sewing, and I found that old cliche to be true. It is like riding a bicycle. I was a little wobbly at first, but it did all come back. The problem is that there are so many ideas, so do you sew or do you write? :-)

      Delete
  3. I decided to try the Pinterest t-shirt scarf and it was an abominable disaster! I really should take a picture of it--that fabric is horrible to cut, sheds pieces EVERYWHERE and I ended up looking like I had a shredded cleaning rag around my neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had success working with knits, Angie. But thanks for commenting -- and sharing that image of you with a cleaning rag around your neck. :-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal, and thanks for providing the link-up.

      Delete
  5. This is a great idea! I've got a bucket of extra scrap material that I'm always trying to find a use for. I've never thought to make a scarf! Hhmmm, sounds like a January project, for sure!
    Blessings to you ~ Mary

    www.marywomantowoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one bucket, Mary? :) I'd love to see what you come up with! Many blessings to you.

      Delete
  6. I have some leftover felt that would make a warm Christmassy scarf....hmmm!! You've got my wheels turning since I just LOVE scarfs to accent my skirt.

    Thanks for linking up over at WholeHearted Home this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was inspiring, Judith. Felt sounds cozy -- I'd love to see pictures when you're done!

      Delete
  7. Oh Meghan! I really like this idea! I am a bit of a novice at sewing. I have been sewing for years but I never get any better. :) Not much patience for it I suppose. However that being said... I am going to try this!

    Stopped over from Whole-Hearted home! Glad I did!

    Gretchen :)
    www.31cups.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it, Gretchen, and if you can sew a basic seam it'll look great! Have fun with it, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Good idea! Thanks for linking up with Thrive @ Home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your scarf. Actually, I just like scarfs in general too! They are such a fun way to change an outfit. And I like the idea of being able to make one with a scrap of fabric. You always have such good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words, Gail. Comments like these make me want to do a link-up where everyone shares a picture of their scarf. I'm sure they would all be wonderful.

      Delete
  10. That looks so cute and really easy, actually! I'm not much of a sewer but I think I might be able to pull this off :) If you ever want to link this up at Thrifty Thursday you're more than welcome to! Merry Christmas! http://www.thepurposefulmom.com/2012/12/10-frugal-christmas-gift-ideas-thrifty.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jenn. Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!

      Delete
  11. Very cute scarf Meghan!
    I need to try this with some of my old scraps of fabric!
    Thanks for linking up to the party!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can justify to our husbands now why we keep all those leftovers! Thanks so much for providing a wonderful link-up, Stacey!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)