Wednesday, December 5, 2012

How to Make a Plain Tee-Shirt Festive for Christmas


It's not hard to find dressy clothes for children this time of year that are festive. But do your children like to wear casual clothes that are Christmas-y?
I’m beginning to think I have a bit of an obsession with this, but I adore Christmas clothes, both dressy and casual. Most Christmas seasons you’ll find me wearing a turtleneck with a print of festive ornaments or a sweater vest with snowmen or a long-sleeve tee-shirt with trees on it. Since mothers generally have an influence over their children, this love of festive clothing has been passed on to my children.

But have you been shopping for holiday clothing recently? How about for daughters who are now in women’s small and medium sizes?

It’s just not happening. I will not let my children wear tee-shirts with obnoxious sayings on them. And, although I do love purple and pink, they just don’t shout “Christmas” to me.

So, you know what’s coming next.

We made our own!

It isn’t fancy, but we gussied up a tee-shirt with a bit of holiday cheer. It wasn’t complicated, and you could even make it without a sewing machine. Plus, my daughter practiced sewing on buttons. Woo-hoo!

First, I found a long-sleeve tee-shirt at Goodwill for half-off. Bonus!

Then, using a cookie cutter and a fabric pencil, my daughter traced a Christmas tree onto a scrap of fabric. She cut it out, and we glued it onto the shirt about one and a half inches below the neckline.
Be sure to follow the directions on the glue and let it dry the entire time. It also helps if you spread the glue out rather than just squirt it on the appliqué and slap it on the shirt. Please don’t ask me how I know. J Insert a piece of paper in between the front and the back of the shirt so that you don’t glue the shirt together. 

When the glue is dry, overedge tightly around the shape. If you don’t have a sewing machine, you could sew it by hand or glue ribbon around the edge.

My daughter then sewed decorative buttons on the tree as ornaments.

Finally, I tacked on the bow at the top.

Voila!

See? Easy! Get creative and do an ornament or a gift or a snowman or three of each. Happy sewing!








Do you or your children like to wear Christmas clothes? Where do you shop? Or do you make them?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose


Pin It!

37 comments:

  1. This turned out so sweet! I love that your daughter was able to do a lot of it herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that my daughter was able to do a lot of it herself too! :) Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Good idea! And right cute!
    Sylvia R @ sylvrpen.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really nice. I think I might make one. I have always loved how you made your clothes match each holiday season. I think its so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't hold your breath this year, Michelle, for matching clothes. Holly and Laura are now in adult sizes. Benjamin is in the boys section while Andrew is still in the baby section. It's not as easy as it once was!

      Delete
  4. Super cute and I love how your daughter was involved. My little girl is only 2 but I look so forward to sewing and crafting with her.
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. Just blink, and she'll be busy right beside you. *sigh*

      Delete
  5. I'm with you Meghan! I like your idea of Christmas clothes much better! :)

    Mindy @ New Equus - A New Creation
    http://newequus.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. And no, in the Netherlands we haven't special Christmas-clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would really stick out like sore thumbs then, wouldn't we? It's always interesting to hear about your home country. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. http://showmeastorie.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! How old is your daughter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, the daughter that made the shirt is 11. I also have daughters that are 13 and almost 7.

      Delete
    2. Ah way older than the girls I baby sit, the angle of your picture made it really hard to tell. I am always hoping to find fun, easy crafts for them. Joanns has t,shirts for super cheap sometimes, if you feel like making more :)

      Delete
  9. Cute as can be...and probably easy enough that even I can do it! Thank you for sharing your creativity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desperation can work wonders with creativity! I'm sure you can do it. Have fun!

      Delete
  10. Too cute!! Thanks for sharing. :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, and have a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  11. Fun idea (I will have to wait for my daughter to get older, but she could glue decorations on the tree:). Thank you so much for linking up and sharing this at Simply Better today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie, and thanks for the link-up opportunity. Have a terrific Christmas!

      Delete
  12. What a great idea!! Thanks for linking up with WholeHearted Home this past week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judith. Always glad to visit with you "in the sticks." :)

      Delete
  13. That is so cute! This would work really well on onesies for my daughter's first Christmas too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea! Have fun, and have a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  14. What a great project!! I love it when I see young girls getting to learn these kind of "home-ec" type things. It's so valuable! I love the creativity! (makes me want a girl...). Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosilind. She loves wearing it, knowing that she did it herself.

      Delete
  15. What an incredible idea! Thank you somuch for linking up with Family Fun Friday. Hope you link up with us again sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the link-up opportunity. I appreciate it!

      Delete
  16. great alternate use for the a cookie cutter! thank you so much for linking up to our party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in, Karah, and thanks for the link-up! Have a terrific Christmas!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)