Monday, December 17, 2012

Putting Meaning to Ten Christmas Memories for My Children


We can find the Gospel everywhere, if we just look for it.
My goal this Christmas, and every Christmas, is for not only myself but also for my children to grow closer to Jesus. Jesus can be found in all sorts of Christmas traditions and treats, if we will only look for Him.

When my children see the warmth of the flickering candles, I want them to remember the warmth of the Light of the World. “Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” ~ John 8:12 


When my children munch on Christmas treats, I want them to know that they are fed with the Bread of Life. “I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.” ~ John 6:51


When my children put on their festive holiday clothing, I want them also to adorn themselves with mercy and truth. “Let not mercy and truth forsake you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart….” ~ Psalm 3:3


When my children help to decorate our home, I want them to decorate their hearts with repentance and forgiveness. “…Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” ~ Acts 2:38


When my children admire the twinkling lights, I want them to remember that they should twinkle their faith to others. “…That you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world….” ~ Philippians 2:15


When my children sing a Christmas carol, I want them to praise and bless the Lord and know that someday they will sing a new song. “Oh, sing to the Lord a new song! Sing to the Lord, all the earth. Sing to the Lord, bless His name; Proclaim the good news of His salvation from day to day.” ~ Psalm 96:1-2


When they savor the sweetness of seasonal oranges and apples, I want them to taste the sweetness of the fruits of a Spirit-filled life. “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.” ~ Galatians 5:22-23


When they address the envelopes and stick the stamps on the Christmas newsletter, I want them to realize that they are sending out hope and encouragement in a missionary epistle. “The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.” ~ 1 Corinthians 16:23-24


When they complete extra cleaning to prepare for guests, I want them to clear their hearts to make room for the best Guest of all. “Do good, O Lord, to those who are good, and to those who are upright in their hearts.” ~Psalm 125:4


When they construct their Lego Christmas village, I want them to remember that they should be like the wise man and build their lives on a solid foundation of faith in the Lord. “He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock.” ~ Luke 6:48


Have a merry Christmas, seeking Jesus in all you do, for He is the very best Gift of all!








How do you help your children grow closer to Jesus at Christmas? Where can you find the Gospel in your Christmas?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose http://christianmommyblogger.com


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing all the scriptures! I love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the challenge of remembering them. It's a great refresher to write a post like this!

      Delete
  2. Such fun!! Those lil' lego guys are super cute too!! The scripture you paired with it is spot on. Wonder if I can work that into lego construction tonight? Hmmm. :) Thanks for sharing Meghan!!

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those little Lego guys can sing just about as well as we can, too! I'm fairly sure that God considers the heart and not the talent, though. :) Thanks, Falen, and have a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  3. I so love how you weave meaning in everything. We try to do the same. Many of the picture books we read help with this as they help our children visualize Biblical truths, legends that connect faith principles to more secular traditions, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the distractions, it can be so incredibly hard to "fix our eyes on Jesus." I want my children to be better at that than I am, so I hope these efforts help train them. (And hopefully they're training me!) Thanks for commenting, Martianne, and have a merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. I love this post- thank you for sharing on Photo Friday over at Ladies Holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link-up. Merry Christmas!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)