Monday, January 14, 2013

Big Family Idea Bonanza Series {List of Ten}

What does the word bonanza bring to mind? A large ranch filled with cowboys and a young Michael Landon with an unbuttoned shirt?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I won’t be donning a cowboy hat for this series, and I definitely won’t be unbuttoning my shirt. J

The word bonanza actually has two definitions

~Something that is very valuable, profitable, or rewarding~

I would say that a big family fits all three of those descriptors, but that isn’t the point of this series.

~A very large amount~

My goal is that this series will provide you with a very large amount of ideas for managing your family. 




And yes, I’m manipulating this introductory post into a list of ten, so here goes.

  1. For those who don’t know, I have six children. My husband and I have been married for over twenty years. We have three girls, ages thirteen, eleven, and seven; and three boys, ages nine, four, and two.
  2. We LOVE having a big family and would love it if the Lord would bless us with more. When we were children, both my husband and I knew we wanted a large family when we grew up.
  3. We are not as large as many families, including those of other blogs you probably follow. But we are the largest family in our church and in our extended families, so we’ve had to learn as we grow.
  4. Life has changed significantly with each child added. Yes, there is truth in the philosophy of “what’s one more?” but there are also simple logistics to consider.
  5. I’ve had plenty of people ask the proverbial big-family question, “How do you do it?” We’ve found a few things that work for us, and they might work for you. At the very least, I hope they start your brain a-whirling.
  6. Some of you have been surprised into your large families by fostering or adoption or remarriage. I pray this series is encouraging to you.
  7. I pray that this series is helpful to those of you with fewer children who may be living in a smaller house or with other limiting circumstances.
  8. I’m super nervous about how this will be received. I follow, and you probably do too, the blogs of families larger than ours. I won’t pretend that I have as much advice as they do. Read and follow their blogs as well.
  9. Let’s make this a community effort. Please add your suggestions or tips in the comments of each post. Thank you!
  10. I have ten posts planned, but I’ll be continuing my homeschooling wrap-up posts on Fridays and I have a few Valentine’s Day posts planned. That means we’ll finish up this series in the beginning of March.
I’m excited to have this planned, and I look forward to your contributions of your personal experience. So glad to have you here! J








Be sure you don’t miss a post. Sign up for an email subscription, follow this blog, or friend me on Facebook, all on the sidebar.

Other posts in this series ~
How We Fit Eight in Our {Older} Minivan
How to Fit Multiple Children in a Bedroom
Giving Our Children Private Spaces
Where Does a New Baby Go?


How big is your family? We’ll be discussing vehicles, sleeping arrangements, and shopping among others, but if you have any suggestions for Big Family topics, please share in the comments.



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose http://christianmommyblogger.com


Pin It!

33 comments:

  1. O, I'll read all your blogs but this one I love! My husband and I have also six children :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you had six children! I guess I never see that many in your pictures. It's a wonderful number, isn't it? Always glad to see your comments!

      Delete
  2. We only have 3 children but live in a very small house. I am very much looking forward to your posts because I'm struggling right now with whether or not to have more children. I want to do God's will and yet most days I'm so frustrated that I can't see how He would give me more (and maybe He won't).

    Blessings to you and your beautiful family!

    Keri
    http://www.growinginhisglory.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you like me to write about WHY we have six children? I hadn't planned on it because it seems that there are so many other blogs that discuss that. But, off the top of my head, I can think of several reasons why we've wanted a big family.

      I have days as well where I wonder why He might ever give me more, but it's not always for us to know why. I'm sure you're doing much better than you think you are, Keri! I'll pray for peace and comfort and blessings for you!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Elizabeth, you're Super Mom! Since you have ten, I expect lots of input from you. :) So glad you're here on my little blog!

      Delete
  4. Sounds great! We only have 2 children, but have considered the possibility of fostering/adoption. I always look forward to your posts, and I'm sure there will be useful info, even for us "small families" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Crystal, I cringed when I wrote "big" and "small." I really don't care for labels like that because there often comes with it a subconscious thought of value. Fostering and adoption are noble goals! I do hope you find something useful here. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. No worries! I didn't think that at all :) As always...thanks for sharing your wisdom at Thriving Thursdays :)

      Delete
  5. We have 4 children, and many consider us a "large" family... I can't imagine us "smaller" however! lol! I'd love a post on sticking to a tight budget, etc.. I write about that often and also like to read about others tips and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have a piece of paper labeled "Budget" with strict amounts in categories. :) But I will be posting about some ways we save money. So glad you're here, and I hope these posts are helpful.

      Delete
  6. Oh I am SO excited for your series, Meghan! We are a family of 11 and I'm sure we'll be blessed by your ideas!

    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleven?! I'm excited - and nervous - that you're here, Sarah! I hope the series helps you brainstorm, and I would very much appreciate your input when you have a suggestion.

      Delete
  7. I look forward to reading your posts. We have six as well (spaced somewhat similarily to yours - 13yo daughter, 11yo daughter, 9yo son, 5yo son, 3yo daughter, and 2yo daughter). They are a blessing, for sure, but oftentimes, for me, the blessing comes in the form of molding me into a more patient, more flexible, more relaxed, more Christ-focused, less competitive, less worldly woman. God knew I needed just these many children to bring me to my knees in prayer - what marvelous ways in which He works.

    In Christ,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how we (as a society) tend to focus on our need to mold and shape our children. It's a big responsibility, but you're so right that they mold and shape us as well. Your list resonates with me. I'm happy to have you here, Melissa, and I appreciate your input.

      Delete
  8. OH! I love this! We have 5 children and if the LORD would will it we would take more! Most people we run into seem to think we are a bit of an anomaly. I wouldn't have it any other way. I came from a larger family so this is my 'normal'. :) I'm excited for this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard some say that three is a lot, so your family of five is huge! :) So glad you're here, Gretchen.

      Delete
  9. Lovely to meet you. We also have 6 children and I blog about our adventures. Do pop over and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! Thanks for visiting from across the pond.

      Delete
  10. Oh I am excited to read your new series. I kind of envy you guys that have large families. I was only Blessed with two children. But I enjoy reading yours and the other blogs. I think that you have a lot to share with us all even the grandparents. Thanks for sharing yourself. I am looking forward to reading your series.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sherry. I'm looking forward to your comments.

      Delete
  11. I would love to join in with you. We have 11 children, so far. 8 still at home, ages 19 - 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a lot of fun at your house! Looking forward to your suggestions here.

      Delete
  12. I look forward to your posts, my question is how do you handle the fatigue with little ones? That's the season I'm in right now. I hope you'll join me for my Friday link up over at lessonsfromivy.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you mean your own fatigue, there's nothing wrong with maintaining (and cherishing!) a strict naptime and bedtime for the little ones. It will give you a chance to breathe, catch up on something, or take a nap of your own. I don't know your schedule, but this might be a season when you need to give up one of more outside activities. Take heart and stay strong. This time will pass quickly, and when it is over you'll wonder where it went! I hope that helped. Thanks for commenting, and many blessings to you!

      Delete
  13. I am excited to have found you from the party. We have a large family blog as well. I will be looking forward to more good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're here, Jenifer! I'm going to check out your blog right now....

      Delete
  14. And here I am...so thankful for you to share these posts. I have seven children. When my youngest was born, my oldest was 11. We had five, six and under with two 'older' children who were 9 and 11. Now they are all older and our youngest just turned 18 last month. I don't write much about managing a large family but I love to read about it. I look forward to your post Meghan. I hope to find encouragement here. Thanks.

    Thanks for sharing this over at WholeHearted Home this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a lot of wisdom to share, Judith. Thanks so much for your kind words and for the link-up opportunity.

      Delete
  15. Just yesterday found your blog. I am very much enjoying it. I follow several "large" family sites always looking for more tips. :) we have 6 kiddos also 11(g), 8 (b), 7 (g), 5 (g), 4 (g), 2 (b). They are a blessing . I love reading how others organize/run their home when they have more than one or two kids or live in a small home. Looking forward to reading more. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you here, Sheila. Please feel free to add to the discussion with any tips or tricks you've learned along the way. Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  16. I just found this and will be reading through all of it momentarily. I love reading tips, tricks, & advice from larger families! We have three right now (5, 4, & 1) and everyone looks at us like we have 15! ha ha. We would like to adopt (and maybe even have more biological kids) in the future, but are very overwhelmed right now. We have a home smaller then we'd like for our family, but will have to stay here for another 5 years or so for financial reasons. So we're sort of in a financial (and stuff) overhaul right now.

    I've heard every large family had "the kid" that got them to get it together and streamline the way they do things. I think for us it would be number 4. We are overwhelmed with three right now, but still drag out doing a lot of things (and end up making it harder on ourselves). Whenever I catch myself doing that, I think, "what would I do if I had 4 kids?" All of a sudden a much more efficient way of doing things becomes clear. Ha! Funny how that one extra kid makes all the difference! I think number 4 would be the one that would tip the scales to where we would have no choice but to find a more efficient way of doing things!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great thinking, Christina! I think #4 was the one for us. We realized we were quickly becoming a "large" family and needed to get a bit more intentional about organization and schedules. Thanks for reading! So happy to have you here!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)