Friday, January 25, 2013

Homeschool Weekly Wrap-Up: Where the Computer Crashes and We Revert to Paper

Yippee! It’s Friday!

In my life this week…

Monday night, after a fun game night in front of the fireplace, I was finalizing my blog post about how to sleep multiple children in one bedroom when I heard a grinding sound in my laptop. Tuesday morning, it wouldn’t do anything. Nothing at all.

By Tuesday night, we knew the hard drive had crashed. But I didn’t cry because we had backed it up right before Christmas, and all of my writing I save on a flashdrive. We did lose a few days of our school records, and, unless it’s repaired, I’ve lost a couple of ebooks and unit studies.



In our homeschool this week…

What this computer crash means for our homeschool is that I’m reverting to paper for all record-keeping. Technology makes me nervous anyway, so this hard drive crash just sealed the decision.


The records we had on my flash drive were only missing our last few days in December. I managed to fill in the blanks with the help of the children, and I printed them off. I then created a fill-in-the-blank sheet for each child to record their lesson numbers and various completion notes. We’re keeping those in a binder labeled “School Logs.” Grades are kept on grid paper in the back of the binder.


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

Back up your files on a regular basis. I know we all know this, but sometimes we need reminding.

How?
  1. A flash drive.
  2. An external hard drive.
  3. An email to yourself.
  4. A hard copy.
  5. Any or all of the above, depending on your anxiety level.

What’s working/not working for us…

Where to keep the school logs and the calendar? Previously it has just been dumped on the kitchen counter. When supper prep arrives, though, that’s a problem. So, I’m going to try keeping it on the buffet in a somewhat organized fashion. J There, it’s still in the Command Center of the house {the kitchen and dining area} but it’s not getting soused with spaghetti sauce or au jus.


Things I’m working on…

Moving my calendar back to paper. I love paper and colored pens and notebooks anyway, so this wasn’t a difficult decision. It’s still early in the year and the calendar hasn’t filled yet. No biggie.

Remember that one of my New Year’s resolutions was to keep a journal? Now I’ll be keeping it in my weekly calendar. There’s a note space off to the side of each day I can fill up with the day’s highlights using pretty glitter gel pens.


I’m reading…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. It is a fascinating book, and I can’t wait to finish it and post a review.


A photo to share…


Mr. Cute distracting everyone from school!

Have a terrific weekend!






How was your week? What’s your preferred method for backing up your computer? Have you ever had a hard drive crash? Did you salvage what was on it? How?



Shop Lilla Rose for Valentine's Day!



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose http://christianmommyblogger.com



Pin It!

24 comments:

  1. Must have made for an interesting week! I admire those who can function with the techy side of things. I mean, I'm pretty techy.. I use to design websites and such. But I cannot, for the life of me, keep my records, calendars, etc on the computer or online. I have always reverted back to pen, paper and day planner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire them too, Michelle. I thought I was becoming one, but then this little hiccup threw me for a loop! There's just something reassuring about pen and paper. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Oh, ouch on the computer! We come to rely on them so much for our schooling and living. At least *I* do! LOL But it sounds like you made the best of it. I tend to like paper calendars, but my oldest son has been keeping his records on my laptop. I should probably back them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing - and a little worrisome - when you think about how much computers control our lives. One little blip and our worlds turn upside down. It wasn't too bad this time. My husband is a computer science professor and is watchful that we back up regularly. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. I am a lover of colored ink pens too :) I like them for all sorts of things and personally prefer a paper calendar myself as well. That stinks on your computer but you are very smart in backing up. Reminds me I need to back up my photos soon too :) Mr Cute is definitely a cutie and I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we have a consensus, Jenni -- we all like paper calendars. :) Have a terrific weekend. Make it even better by backing up all those precious family photos!

      Delete
  4. Oh my - a computer crash?! Eeek! I love that you had it backed up though, I need to get an external hard drive. My pc was giving me the blue screen of death for about two months, and my hubby surprised me with a new computer for christmas! I enjoyed the pen and paper switch for a lot of things, and it reminded me of how much I loved it! I can't wait to read your post on how to sleep multiple children in one bedroom" . Ours (we have three) currently share one room to sleep in. We like it a lot and think that even if we get a bigger place we'll keep them in one room anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippee for new computers! What a great hubby! Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  5. We can kill a computer in no time flat! I am glad you got it all fixed and that you didn't lose a whole lot! I had the same thing happen towards the end of last year, but I lost so much! So now I back up regularly!! I currently use an external hard drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. External hard drives are great! What's so frustrating when something like this happens is that you don't know how or why it happened. It's difficult to prevent it then.

      Delete
  6. My daughter dumped tea into my laptop once. I did cry. It was awful. Fortunately it was covered by homeowner's insurance. I got a new MAC :). I don't back up my computer nearly often enough though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard wonderful things about MACs, but we haven't the courage yet to make that huge switch. Have a great weekend, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. Good old-fashioned paper! It never lets you down. Sorry for the bump in your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! Paper has been around for thousands of years. Computers? Not so long. :)

      Delete
  8. We rely on technology so much but it can go away so easily! I have a wall calendar that everything get's written on. I learned my lesson after my phone died and all of my dates were in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer on the phone! I would love to have a wall calendar in the kitchen, but I just don't have enough wall space. Great suggestion, Michelle!

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear about your computer. Reminds me that I need yo back up mine! As for calendars, I have mine in my phone, my computer, and a dry erase version on the fridge. I love colored pens too! Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this was helpful in reminding you to back up! Draw something fun with those pens, and have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry about your computer. I have a love/hate relationship with mine. There are some things it's good for, but there are other things (like my calendar) that I don't trust it with!

    I also wanted to share that I'm nominating you for a Liebster Award. All of the info is posted here - http://www.adventureswithjude.com/2013/01/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perfect description -- it truly is a love-hate relationship. Thanks for the nomination, Meg, and thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. Sorry about your laptop. I am always torn between technology and paper. I have fought technology and lost. I swore I'd never get a Kindle, but I have one and I love it. That said, I still love the feel of paper between my fingers and I love making notes, lists etc., in my own hand. Have fun with your new system!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband got me an iPad for Christmas, and I immediately installed the Kindle app. I was reluctant at first. I love the feel of the book in my hand as well. But I can see a lot of benefit to the Kindle also, including being able to read in the dark of a car or a bedroom.

      People say we'll be paperless someday, but I just can't see it. Look at all of us who still love paper! Thanks for commenting, Mary.

      Delete
  12. What a great post! Thanks for sharing at Its a Wrap. I hope you'll return this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Savannah. I love your link-up. I'm there!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)