Friday, January 11, 2013

How Do You Homeschool When Mama’s Sick?


When Mama’s sick, some things just don’t get done.

In my life this week…

Five of the eight of us have been down with the flu, including the two littlest boys. This was my four-year-old’s interpretation of mommy with a fever. J

Are those my ears? And I'm not normally a teeth-gritter. *sigh*

So our week looked a lot like this ~


Despite my tendency to fret, I haven’t worried about this week since we've decided to homeschool year round. We’ll make up for it in the dog days of summer.

But we knew God was smiling on us when we saw the beauty He had created outside. The fog froze on the trees and the weeds in the field out back, and the whole world sparkled in the weak winter sunlight.



In our homeschool this week…

The older girls had lots of home economics as they prepared, served, and cleaned up breakfast and lunch entirely on their own and managed the laundry. J

We also watched educational videos, read books, and played with educational “toys” they received for Christmas. Why give something that’s only fun when you can give something that’s fun and educational?

My thirteen-year-old affectionately calls him Mr. Squishy.

The Mars Rover has been fun inside, but my nine-year-old has to wait for better weather before he can shoot off his baking-soda-and-vinegar rocket outside.


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

Don’t fret when sickness comes. Embrace it as a time to snuggle in as a family and continue your homeschooling in a relaxed, less taxing manner.


I’m grateful for…

Homeschooling! This week would have been so much more difficult if I’d had to ship my thirteen-year-old and my eleven-year-old off to school for the day. Not just for me, because they have been such a tremendous help, but also for them. They enjoy caring for me and the Littles.


I’m praying for…

The health of my girls. So far, they have escaped the flu. I’d really rather not repeat this week next week.

The health of you, my reader. I know several of you who are my friends on Facebook have also been ill with this nasty bug that’s going around.








How has your week been? How do you handle homeschooling when you are sick?





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose http://christianmommyblogger.com


Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. We have the same Mr. Squishy that grandma gave us for Christmas. I am sorry your family is sick. I pray you are all well again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about the squishy yuck that makes it even more fun for the children! Thanks for your prayers. I think we're on the mend.

      Delete
  2. We are sick here too! I lost my voice so that really put a damper on my ability to teach my kids. The kids read a lot of books this week I am actually deciding today if I should teach I have my voice back but am sooooooooooo tired the couch is looking quite inviting right now. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd accept that invitation and rest up to be ready for Monday. Praying that you'll feel better soon also!

      Delete
  3. I hope you feel better soon! We had it over the holidays :( But not fretting helps (but can be hard!) That drawing is priceless and I love the snow cat (?)

    Be well Carver Clan!

    Thank you for stopping by and linking up on Photo Friday Blog hop- Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye! It's a snow cat. Thanks for the link-up and your great blog!

      Delete
  4. We've had the exact same type of week! I hope you all get to feeling better. I completely relate to the "some things just don't get done when mom is sick" part...we've been just getting by this week.

    And, I love your caption on his artwork...it cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been following your saga on Facebook, Crystal. There were a couple of days where it was just survival mode. It sounds like we've been in similar situations this week, but it also sounds like we'll all be getting back to church on Sunday also. Glad you all are on the mend!

      Delete
  5. I hope you're all feeling better by now! Visiting via Titus 2sday link up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I hope you are all feeling better. I wasn't feeling well last week, down with some back pain, so I actually schooled from my bed. With my Little Man in bed beside me doing his work. :) We do what we can. Take Care.
    Stopping in from Mom's Library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had lower back pain, and it's way worse than what we had. I'm impressed you kept going from bed. Thanks so much for commenting, Renee.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)