Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I Want To Be Like a Snowman


I love the snow.

New snow is pure and unspoiled, sparkling like diamonds. Every snowflake is unique, just like people. The weight and warmth of a heavy sweater is comfort bliss, and the crackle of a fire calms the spirit. With hands wrapped around the warmth of a colorful mug, cappuccino and hot cocoa warm both the outside and the inside.

In the Midwest, we occasionally have winters without snow. Then, I particularly cherish my valiant snowmen who brighten our home with their colorful smiles.

Snowmen are always friendly. In our cold world, so few people want to be bothered with anyone else’s problems. But have you noticed that a snowman always brings a smile? Perhaps snowman d√©cor is popular because a snowman, oxymoronic though it seems, will warm your heart.

I want to be warm and friendly like a snowman. I want to be more helpful, more inviting, more understanding, more kind. (Proverbs 19:22) I want to consider other’s interests as important as my own. (Philippians 2:4)

Snowmen are always smiling. It’s a clich√©, but it’s true. Smiles are contagious. How many smiles do you see in a day?  As you go about your daily routine, look around you. Do most people look grumpy and annoyed or happy to see you? How do you look? As you walk through the grocery store and interact with the cashier, do you make eye contact and smile? I admit that I don’t smile enough. Perhaps that’s the result of being a shy introvert, but that’s just a reason, not an excuse. My children smile a lot, and they receive a lot of return smiles.

I want to smile more like a snowman. A merry heart shows on the countenance and does good to all those with whom it comes into contact. (Proverbs 17:22)

Snowmen are full of color, both literally and figuratively. Snowmen always sport colorful scarves and hats. I want to be colorful like a snowman, wearing the bright hues of pinks, the vivid tones of purples, the dazzling shades of greens and blues. In the sometimes gray days of winter, I want my dress to energize not only myself but those around me. Have you also noticed that most snowmen have a slightly mischievous look? What would they say if they were given the gift of speech? I don’t think it would be off-color, but I’m sure conversation with a snowman would not be dull.

I want to be colorful like a snowman, interesting and edifying. I want to bring a sweetness of spirit to my speech. (Proverbs 16:24) I want people to walk away from a conversation with me feeling better about themselves and better about life. (Ephesians 4:29)

I want to be like a snowman.








Do you like snowmen? How would you like to be like a snowman?


{This post originally appeared December 31, 2010, in a slightly different version.}



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose http://christianmommyblogger.com


Pin It!

19 comments:

  1. I love snowmen, especially for their plumpness, which makes them so friendly and approachable looking to me. I'd like my own plumpness to be that pleasing and acceptable to myself and others :)

    Nice post to get me off to a good start today--with a smile on my face!

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An excellent point, Keri! I'm glad you're smiling. Many blessings to you today!

      Delete
  2. "Yes, it's true: a snowman, like a new baby, can bring a smile onto the grumpiest face! "Cold coat, warm heart," is what a snowman seems to be what it's saying about itself. When I saw your post's title, I thought "What?" but now I totally get it. You encourage me to want to be like a snowman, too! :) (See, I'm smiling!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard that saying before, but I like it. "Cold coat, warm heart." Thanks so much for sharing today. I'm glad my words brought a smile to your face, Sylvia.

      Delete
  3. I love snow! I try to smile at people I pass on the street, but I am always afraid they will think I am a creeper...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we do have to wonder about that in today's society, but I hope I don't look like a creeper. I know you don't, Rachel! Smile on!

      Delete
  4. Ah ... a sweet post. Yes, I love the snowman, standing for the window with a nice smile ... Never he's sad. I will be a snowman. haha!

    Thanks for the spiritual lesson in this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be nice never to be sad? Well, in heaven someday. Thanks for commenting. I always enjoy your sweet words.

      Delete
  5. I will never look at snowman again without thinking about this post! Thank you for challenging us to be more "snowman" like. God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Ronda. Many blessings to you this new year!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal, and thanks for the link-up!

      Delete
  7. Very cool ;) I love snowmen too~ plump, cuddly, friendly, eagerly listening... I have actually been considering decorating with snowmen~ year-round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Snowmen all year round! My husband and I decided a few years ago that our bedroom would be snowmen all year round. I also have a snowman cookie jar that sits on an armoire in the dining room all the time. I figured if others can decorate with flowers in the winter then why not snowmen in the summertime? Snowmen lovers unite! So glad you commented today. :)

      Delete
  8. This was an original post that encourages thought and smiles. Thanks for linking up with me over at WholeHearted Home Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your time in reading through all the link-ups, Judith. And thanks for the link-up opportunity.

      Delete
  9. Meghan...your post made me smile. Thank you for sharing at WJIM. As always, I enjoy visiting your blog. Have fabulous weekend friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meghan...your post made me smile. Thank you for sharing at WJIM. As always, I enjoy visiting your blog. Have fabulous weekend friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Naomi. And thank you for your hard work with your link-up. Many blessings to you!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)