Monday, January 7, 2013

Ten Do-Able New Year’s Resolutions


Happy January!

I’m going to be a bit rebellious in this post. If I upset someone, I apologize. But if you’ve been reading here for any length of time, I hope you’ve picked up on my philosophy that everyone has to make their own decisions. I’m not going to tell you what to do.

Now, I know plenty of people love having one word for the year. New Year’s resolutions are too much. I completely understand that.

But one word just isn’t enough for me.

Let’s say I choose the word focus. On what am I focusing? Myself? God? My husband? My children? How do I focus on them? What exactly does that mean and how does it play out in my everyday life? And what are the chances I’ll actually remember what my word is, or was, by the time we sit down to a scrumptious Easter dinner?

Yeah, I’m one of those people that could go for a 12-step plan. Give me details in a numbered list and I feel like I have a handle on my goal.

So I’ve chosen a few resolutions.
If this is intimidating to you, think about resolutions as goals you’re working on already – perhaps an area of spiritual growth that the Lord has been whispering to you about or a fresh idea to revitalize your family life.

Here are mine.
  1. Talk less. I don’t think I talk a lot now, but I’m sure there are times when my husband wishes I would keep my thoughts to myself. J
  2. Listen more. Always good for any relationship.
  3. Read more. I love Christian fiction, but I also have some nonfiction titles from which I hope to glean some wisdom.
  4. Read the Word more. I’m keeping my Bible on the kitchen counter and reading a verse as I pass by. I’m taking my Bible to bed with me and reading a verse before I fall asleep. Even just one extra verse means I am reading more.
  5. Pray more. When a child gets sassy, I’ll pause and pray, “Lord, help me with this,” before I jump into discipline. When I see a beautiful day, I’ll pause and pray, “Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful moment.” Just five words here and seven words there equals more prayer and more heart focus on Him.
  6. Hug more. How long does a hug take? Three seconds? Up to a full minute? Yet the benefits are exponential for both the hugger and the huggee.
  7. Keep a journal. Seriously, this is no big thing. Just one-seventh of a piece of paper in a spiral notebook. Something to record the weather and what was wonderful that day. Definitely using pretty gel pens.
  8. Save money. Again, no biggie here. I’m not aiming to be a millionaire by 2014, although that would be nice. Thanks to a Pinterest idea, my husband and I will be saving out of our billfolds any five dollar bill we receive in change. A five is small enough that it ought not be missed too often but large enough that the savings will be noticed by the end of the year.
  9. Extend myself more grace. Perfectionists can be so hard on themselves.
  10. Lose weight. I’m desperate for this one. It’s also the toughest. But I’ve found an accountability group, and we’ll see how it goes. {Okay, we’ll see how do-able this one is, but it’s real and I had to include it.}


Happy New Year!









Do you make New Year’s resolutions? Why or why not? Or do you have one word? I’d love for you to share and encourage other readers.




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose http://christianmommyblogger.com


Pin It!

24 comments:

  1. I love you simple New Year’s resolutions! How's now with your ill childs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little late in replying with three boys sick and now typing one-handed while I hold the baby. But I appreciate your comment!

      Delete
  2. I could work on talking less for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your honesty, Rose. Blessings to you in the new year!

      Delete
  3. I don't make resolutions, per se, but goals for myself. Like you, I need tangible, point-by-point goals that I can achieve. One word is simply too abstract for my concrete mind :)

    For me, praying more is something I should add to my spiritual goals for the year. Thanks for sharing your list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Meghan. I like your take on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I set goals each year - not really resolutions, because they always have a specific plan of action. This year I decided to choose a word, simply because God was already working on that thing in my heart. I chose gratitude. Even if I only focus on it for a month or two - how much better will my life be for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to think of it, Elizabeth, to let the Lord work on you with your word for even just a short period of time. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. I have set a few goals too. Swing by my blog and check them out. Your number 4,8, and 10 are some of mine as well.

    www.adventureswithcaptaindestructo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid I was doing what everyone else was doing, but I think 4, 8, and 10 are probably the most common. Thanks, Melissa. I'll stop by.

      Delete
  7. I love your simple resolutions. Mine are similar. The journal thing gets me stuck though - too perfectionistic, I suppose. I want the "right" journal, the "right" pen, etc. Silly, really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you also need #9 - extend yourself more grace! I'm exactly the same way. This journal is not my ideal, but at this point in my life, I accept that it is better than nothing. Have a great new year!

      Delete
  8. I love your list... I have taken a word for me: PEACE!! this is going to be my word for this year... less fighting, less arguments... peace within, so we can have peace outside.

    As for losing weight, I have cut wheat since October of last year. It has really helped me: no more bloating, or water retention... eating lots of veggies, fruits, protein and FAT!!!

    happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great word and great goal, Tereza. I'm hearing more and more about going gluten-free because of the digestive problems people have. I'm glad it's helped you. Thanks so much for commenting, and have a terrific new year!

      Delete
  9. Meghan,

    I love your list! I do have a one word and the reason is if I do not have one I will have too many words! lol. So God will lead me in learning as I go what the significance of this word is to me in all of the areas I need to apply it. Oh, it is Release by the way!

    I especially love that you want to keep a journal. I just wrote about that for 5 Minutes for Faith AND regularly host a Random Journal Hop where we actually share peeks into our journals! Consider yourself invited! You can peruse and peek...or participate as you feel comfortable and ready! Some lovely ladies and writers participate.
    Well nice to meet you from Laura's today!

    This link goes to my site where I share about our RJD day! http://beneaththesurface-dawn.blogspot.com/p/links.html

    Best wishes with your resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled to keep this down to a list of ten, so I completely understand having too many words, Dawn! I checked out your site and it looks fun. Thanks for the invite, and many blessings to you!

      Delete
  10. Meghan...what a sweet list! And truly doable. I haven't done the word thing but I believe if I did it would be intentional. And your list has many items that I should be intentional about. Thank you for the encouragement to my heart and for linking up at WJIM. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that word - intentional. It would be a great choice for me as well. So glad this was encouraging to you, Naomi, and thanks for the link-up.

      Delete
  11. Meghan, I loved your list!! I actually copied into my journal :-) It was simple and doable. Love it!! Thanks for linking up with me last week over at WholeHearted Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, Judith. That was one suggestion I left out of the post -- make a copy and put it in a journal or planner or calendar that you refer to on a regular basis. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)