Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Creative Pantry Storage ~ Big Family Idea Bonanza Series


So you’ve been to the wholesale club or the co-op or the grocery store sale and brought home a vanload of #10 size cans and 25 pound bags of flour. Where in the house do you store all that food?


I have wrestled with how to organize these tips and suggestions, but they are so individualized depending on your circumstances that I’m just going to toss them out. I hope you find something helpful. J

Bulk items like flour and rice and grits can be stored in new Menards/Home Depot/Lowe’s five gallon buckets. The lids seal tight and can be labeled with a permanent marker.

Canned goods can be stored under beds, in a hallway closet, or on shelves in the garage.

Home-canned goods can make a decorative display on top of cabinets or a buffet, especially with some greenery and decorator lights wound throughout.

Add shelves above windows to frame the window and add an extra space for decorative storage. Even just displaying pretty dishes on a shelf can free up cabinet space for food storage.

Decorative tins or baskets on top of the refrigerator can store spices, packets, or lightweight boxes.

Purchase a used refrigerator/freezer combo or a deep freezer to keep in the basement or garage. We wouldn’t be able to buy eight gallons of milk at a time without our extra refrigerator in the garage. J

Convert a spare piece of furniture or buy a used piece for extra pantry space. A couple of years ago, when it became obvious that our tiny pantry just wasn’t enough, we bought a television armoire through Craig’s List for $100. The Mr. put a new back in it and added some shelves. Voila! We now have a second pantry, almost as big as the first. We even have bread drawers, and it sure looks purty in our dining area. J

Storage can be found almost anywhere. Be creative and have fun!








Where do you store your bulk items? Please share your suggestions. J


Other posts in this series ~




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose http://christianmommyblogger.com


Pin It!

28 comments:

  1. I adore the armoir turned pantry. It's just beautiful. We have a smallish family living at home now, just five of us. Still, storage is always a problem. Thank you for sharing your ideas.

    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. Craig's List always has a ton of people selling furniture, but I was still surprised to find something I liked so much.

      Delete
  2. Great ideas! We have a TV hole in our bedroom wall which we don't use for a TV, and we have stored food in that also. Just so I don't have to look at it when we are in there, I hung a little curtain over the front. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever use, Kayla! Will it hold a mini-refrigerator so you don't have to go out to the kitchen for a midnight snack? :) Good idea for the curtain!

      Delete
    2. Haha! No mini-fridge, to my husbands dismay. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the armoire idea because it looks so nice and hides everything so beautifully! We have a blue cupboard my parents gave us that is nice albeit full :) but it stores jellies, jams, and other home preserved goodies. We also make use of our laundry room with shelves for storing extra foods.

    I love this series. Thanks for sharing all your tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our laundry room is small and at the opposite end of the house from the kitchen, so I didn't think of that. But it's a great idea! Thanks, Keri!

      Delete
  4. Your armoire is beautiful! I'm getting a remodeled, expanded built-in pantry (thanks to my Dad and my husband) in May and I've been poring over ideas of storage/bin/basket/shelving.

    In Christ,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds terrific, Melissa. Enjoy your organizing - there are so many more choices now than which color contact paper to cover your shelves with. :) Always great to have you visit!

      Delete
  5. You are so creative! The best I have been able to come up with is to use the high shelf in my girl's room, above the clothing that's hanging in the closet. Then I have to keep the closet locked, all those cereal boxes can be tempting! Thanks for your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so creative! The best I have been able to come up with is to use the high shelf in my girl's room, above the clothing that's hanging in the closet. Then I have to keep the closet locked, all those cereal boxes can be tempting! Thanks for your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works, Tiffany. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  7. Great post! but I must confess, when I first glanced at the title I though it said, Creative Panty Storage. lol What can I say, it's been a long day!
    Well, it did make me want to read on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! Glad you kept reading, and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. Meghan, I've definitely used a few of these creative places to store canned goods and baking canisters. I'm a minimalist in the way of "things" in the house, so it's always great to find a piece of furniture that does double duty. Our current pantry is really a bamboo shelving unit that my husband and I inherited from his folks when we married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Inherited" is a great word...as long as it's a great piece of furniture. :) Sounds like a good deal. Thanks for visiting, Jelli!

      Delete
  9. I love the armoire idea! That's great :) Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ideas! Pinning this to our Thrive @ Home Favorite's board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful ideas!!

    I am stopping by from Modest Mom Blog.
    Take care,

    Frances
    www.notionsfromnonny.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you here, Frances, and thanks for following! :)

      Delete
  12. You really shared some helpful ideas. The thing liked is that you have made them attractive and homey. My husband built closed in under the stairs going to the basement and put in shelves for my pantry. Thank you for linking this post up over at WholeHearted Home this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that under-the-stairs storage, Judith. Of course, it helps if you have stairs.... :)

      Delete
  13. Great ideas, Meghan! We don't have a pantry which I really miss. So we put cabinets (discarded=free!) in our laundry room. That way I only have to keep what I need for the week in my kitchen. It has helped a lot with the kitchen clutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful suggestion, Pamela. My MIL's laundry room is just off her kitchen, and she has doubled her storage with her cabinets in there. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful use for one of those old TV cabinets! Our thrift stores are filled with them, I love seeing the clever things people do to repurpose them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kourtney! So glad to have you here.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)