Friday, February 1, 2013

Spiders and Cone Snails and Stone Fish, O My! ~ Our Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Hello, friend!

In our homeschool this week…

After a couple of weeks of moving around piles of materials, my oldest finished her lapbook on poisonous animals. Oh, the joy of exclaiming over all the pictures and factoids and art! J


She did an excellent job, but the poor girl has a teacher who shrieks at the sight of a spider.

And a few more pictures that I couldn’t fit in my Pinterest image above....





Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

When a child is enthusiastic about a project, let her run with it! Sometimes my I’m-the-mom-and-I-want-everything-done-and-picked-up attitude kicks in. I get tired of the piles of craft or scrapbooking or art or science supplies, even though they are usually tidy. But if there is anywhere a child should feel free to experiment and create and grow, it should be homeschool. Stay focused on the end goal


I am inspired by…

My daughter and her field trip ideas. In Language, my fifth grader wrote a paragraph about how she would like to see the Eiffel Tower in France. Apparently, we’re “planning a trip sometime soon.” Maybe after a fund raiser…. J


We’re looking forward to…

A unit study on Valentine’s Day. I lost it on last week’s hard drive crash, but after some online searching (since I couldn’t remember where I got it), I found it! Free Homeschool Deals has tons of great resources.


On the blog this week…

Two more posts in the Big Family Idea Bonanza Series


I’m praying for…

Three feet of snow! We’re not eager to skip school. We just love to play in the snow.


A photo to share…

Guy time!



And another photo to share…



How was your school week? Any helpful hints to share that you learned this week?


Flexi's of the Month sell fast. Don't wait!




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose http://christianmommyblogger.com


Pin It!

26 comments:

  1. Love the "I'm ready for the snow" picture. So cute.

    I don't like the clutter and piles. So I try to limit it to the school room. Then I dodge piles to make sure I don't fall. :)

    That is going to be one hefty fund raiser to make it to Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should I set up a donation box on the sidebar? :)

      Delete
  2. That lapbook is gorgeous! What an awesome job! Hope you guys get lots of snow!! :) My little guy asks me everyday "when are we gonna go play in the snow?" But right now there's very little (which is weird for January). Cute litte guy! Thanks for sharing your week!! Blessings~!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was said in the fall that this would be a harsh winter, but so far the children have only had enough snow for play for a couple of days. Now it's February, and I think it might take a miracle! Keep praying, Heather!

      Delete
  3. I love the pictures of the lapbook! I have been mulling over what to do for next year and I am leaning towards more lapbooks. We have never done one before, and it looks a little intimidating! :) Do you do all your schooling with lapbooks and unit studies? I would love to pick your brain about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This lapbook was done by my thirteen-year-old who has an artistic bent. My eleven-year-old did one in the fall about the platypus, and it was much simpler. We do most of our schooling with Abeka (not the DVD program, just their materials) so that I have peace of mind that we're covering the basics. You might want to browse through my blog posts under the tab "Homeschooling." They explain a lot of what we do and how we do it. We do veer off of the Abeka lesson plans quite a bit to do our own thing. In the lesson plans, she was supposed to write a paper. But I knew that with her love of art a lapbook would be more creative and enjoyable and thus more educational. We don't always turn papers into lapbooks. It just depends on the subject and the child. I hope that helps. Thanks for the question, Kayla!

      Delete
  4. I love how the lapbook is mostly (all?) mini books made by your daughter rather than those printed and filled in. And the patterns and colors of the papers make it more like a fun scrapbook! Awesome job!

    LOL Well, at least the boots were on, right? Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have those templates, but I forgot we had them! She was off and running as soon as I said "lapbook" and was so excited that she wouldn't let me see it until she was done.

      Still not enough snow to need the boots!

      Delete
  5. The lap book is amazing! Love it. :) We love lap books here, thank you for the link to the Valentines Day unit study. I have been wanting to do a study about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Cindy. I'm glad it was helpful! Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. I want 3 feet of snow too! What a great excuse to not have to go anywhere for days! :O) I'm not a homebody but I love a good winter storm! I LOVE the lapbooks! We do lots of them too. The one you showed looks like my daughter's handwriting even!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've only had one good winter storm here this year, and now it looks like we're going to have spring weather again next week. :( We'll keep praying! Thanks for stopping in, Shelly!

      Delete
  7. I found your blog through Hammock Tracks and what an inspiring blog you have.

    I've been praying for 3 feet of snow myself. We just moved back to Montana and this area normally has upwards to 200 inches by the end of winter. Sadly, we've only had about 10 total. We still have time, but I really don't want to spend spring and summer digging out from underneath it all, so hopefully we'll get it soon.

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori! Thanks so much for your kind words. Wow, 200 inches of snow would be incredible. Montana is a beautiful state. It's sad to think of winter there without much snow. Thanks for commenting, and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. I love this idea. I think its really nice. She did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lapbooks are gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the great pics. We homeschool too. I would love for you to come over to my blog hop and share this and other posts there!
    http://countrifiedhicks.blogspot.com/2013/02/mondays-with-countrified-hicks-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for the invite to the blog hop. I'll check it out!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library! Love the ideas. Pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it!! What a beautiful lapbook!! The most poisonous animals live in Australia, I do believe. Thanks for linking up over at WholeHearted Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about Australia, Judith. It looks beautiful but so many scary creatures. Thanks for the link-up!

      Delete
  13. I am also a mom who thinks you should put things away when you are moving on to something else, even if you are coming back to it. I needed to hear your advice! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it was helpful. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)